Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be somewhat Ducati-ish if it were ever to be made.
That's what I thought --- or like a Suzuki SV1000 (awesome bike -- loved mine).
My favorite bike has been my Ducati S2r.
The Scout engine reminds me so much of my Duc, and is one of the reasons I love it.

There was a race class with twin cylinders....but they'd have to use the Scout 60 engine (1000cc limit). I don't know if it still exists. Honda made a bike to compete in that class and it was also awesome.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I would not ride it. I have never liked the crotch rocket seating position. Even when I was young I had a heck of a time being on those bikes for more than about half an hour.

I think that is why the naked bike segment is so hot right now. Same or similar motor to the crotch rocket but a more relaxed seating position.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Looks good wouldn't sell. The inline engines in sport bikes put out 200+ HP and can get up to speeds of well over 150 MPH, thus the term crotch rocket. One of the big knocks on the FTR from the younger crowd is the CC to HP ratio is terrible to them. 1200CC @ 120 HP is a big fail to the younger crowd. That is because of the inefficient V Twin engine.

If Indian wants to get into the sport bike market, they need a inline engine like the rest of the guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It will undoubtedly not sell very well if it comes to fruition. Unfortunately just like the FTR.
I don't know The FTR seems to be selling quite well globally , I know a lot of people were expecting a more Flat track 750 set-up when they started out ( the exhaust is the thing people either don't mind or totally hate)

·
Bronze member
2,205 Posts
Back in 2017 Indian's marketing director hinted at a Isle of Man race bike- testing the water now?

Indian's Reid Wilson and Isle of Mann comment ;
Reid: Yes. If you look back to the days of the original Indian, they were one of the most innovative, boundary-breaking companies, winning the Isle of Man and all that. That’s a helluva legacy to live up to and we’re focused on that, so that means doing new things that American motorcycle manufacturers aren’t doing right now. We’re really excited about doing that and, honestly, it’s coming a lot sooner than people think. I don’t want to say it’s coming tomorrow, but it is coming in the next few years. It’s an exciting time to be part of the brand, and an exciting time to be a motorcyclist in America.

Indian Motorcycle's Director of Marketing Reid Wilson Speaks with MO

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know The FTR seems to be selling quite well globally , I know a lot of people were expecting a more Flat track 750 set-up when they started out ( the exhaust is the thing people either don't mind or totally hate)
I'm glad it's selling somewhere but it isn't selling around where I am in VA.

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Lets see... FM got 117hp SAE (at rear wheel of course) with very little trouble.. But, lets look at the TRQ curve shape..

Obviously, the engine is "cammed" to make max trq from 5.5k - 7k rpm..

Let's "re-cam" the engine, just a little bit - just to move the same Trq plateau "up" 1000 rpm.. So now it is making that 87 Lb Ft from 6.5k to 8k rpm..
Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5,252.
So now, at 8k rpm, you get 132.5 HP at the rear wheel - marketing peeps will stamp "145 hp" on the brochures !

That sound more "respectable" ?

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
Looks good wouldn't sell. The inline engines in sport bikes put out 200+ HP and can get up to speeds of well over 150 MPH, thus the term crotch rocket. One of the big knocks on the FTR from the younger crowd is the CC to HP ratio is terrible to them. 1200CC @ 120 HP is a big fail to the younger crowd. That is because of the inefficient V Twin engine.

If Indian wants to get into the sport bike market, they need a inline engine like the rest of the guys.
Ducati uses a Vtwin as does KTM.

·
Rider
432 Posts
No. Not really. It is in an L configuration for a reason. It’s not a slanted V configuration.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,092 Posts
Well if you insist. It's still a 90 degree angle twin on a common crankpin tilted or not.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts