Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone answer whether or not the stock Indian motorcycles have heel-toe shifters?

Thinking of going to Michigan to test ride them, but I have trouble shifting without the heel-toe availability. (Foot drop)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They do not, bigfoot. I don't like heel shifters myself but I know some folks really like them. I believe they are an option but I'm not sure. With foot drop I sure hope they have them as options for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kicking around the idea of running over for the Friday morning and try to get a test ride in, will know better next week some time.

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might call them ahead of time and see if they have a heel shifter in stock and if so, if they'll install it (assuming it's as easy as it is on the Vision).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't hold your breath, there isn't one available that I can find on their site and with the tight fit of the floor board if there will be one it won't be a simple piece, from what I saw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2610 said:
Don't hold your breath, there isn't one available that I can find on their site and with the tight fit of the floor board if there will be one it won't be a simple piece, from what I saw.
I was just looking at that today when at the Lincoln NE demo event. There is not much clearance and it would not be a simple design to accomodate, in my opinion. It was only 97 degrees there today and I was riding 2-up. Still more grunt than my 96 Softail but I felt more heat coming off the motor than I did in Sturgis. Nice ride, though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I ordered mine, I wanted the shifter but the dealer couldn't find one in the parts listing. I've searched the website high and low and can't find it either. I do hope one is developed, I prefer having one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Polaris/Indian seems to have finally come out with a heel shifter.

<span>The &ldquo;Pinnacle Series&rdquo; of Indian Motorcycle accessories on the Big Chief Custom includes the Cam Cover, Primary Cover, Chrome Grips and Beach Bars. The robust sounding Stage 1 exhaust sports Fish Tail Tips. Other custom accessories include War Bonnet Floorboard Pads, a <em>Heel Shifter</em> and chrome Rear Fender Bumper.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/744/17589/Motorcycle-Article/1st-Custom-Indian-Chief-Classic-Unveiled-in-NY.aspx

</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
8298 said:
Here's a pic of the heel shifter on the new Big Chief Custom.

Thank you for the picture of the heel shifter on the Indian.

It seems to be very intrusive on the floorboard.
People with big feet, me, won't particularly like that the rear section of the floorboard is now useless.
I have to give Polaris/Victory kudos for their design of the heel shifter on the Vision.
You still have the full use of the floorboard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not going to work for me. When I shift heal I want it to be level with end of floorboard. I dont want to lift my leg up to shift. Just slide back my foot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with the two previous posts about the shortcomings of the Indian heel shifter. I hope Aeromach takes this into consideration when designing their heel shifter and that that they make theirs with a longer and lower heel shifter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
8298 said:
I agree with the two previous posts about the shortcomings of the Indian heel shifter. I hope Aeromach takes this into consideration when designing their heel shifter and that that they make theirs with a longer and lower heel shifter.
Got it guys....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far, they haven't been a factory option, but I'm sure that will change. I like a heel shifter too, but this bike shifts pretty darn nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe an arrowhead design would be nice. Somewhat similar to the Vic that way. I prefer my Vic heal shifter to ANY I've previously used on ANY motorcycle I've ridden.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts