Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the build your own app on Indians website it keeps a running cost total. It obviously excludes taxes, tags, freight, dealer set up fees.

But what about labor to install the accessories you add in the build your own app? Can the bike be ordered from the factory in the configuration you build?

·
Registered
163 Posts
When using the build your own app on Indians website it keeps a running cost total. It obviously excludes taxes, tags, freight, dealer set up fees.

But what about labor to install the accessories you add in the build your own app? Can the bike be ordered from the factory in the configuration you build?
I’m pretty certain you cannot, but not 100% positive. What I can tell you, at least in my case, is that the accessory prices listed on the website are MSRP and can be purchased from your dealer at a significant discount.

I ordered the laced spoke wheels for my Scout 60 and got a considerable discount from the dealer.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m pretty certain you cannot, but not 100% positive. What I can tell you, at least in my case, is that the accessory prices listed on the website are MSRP and can be purchased from your dealer at a significant discount.

I ordered the laced spoke wheels for my Scout 60 and got a considerable discount from the dealer.
Local dealerships to me do not discount accessories. Cheapcycleparts has good discounts on OEM accessories if you don’t mind waiting a bit for an item. I’m looking to get a new bike and am looking at some big ticket accessory items. I’d rather they come installed by the factory. I’m sure I’d have to special order the bike through a dealership. Which is fine.

·
Bronze member
3,045 Posts
No you can't.. they used to in the early 2000's for Victory... when they stopped it, it pissed people off... can't tell you why they stopped it... I suppose it was cutting into the dealers profit

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you can't.. they used to in the early 2000's for Victory... when they stopped it, it pissed people off... can't tell you why they stopped it... I suppose it was cutting into the dealers profit
You can order bikes through a dealership if they don’t have a color in stock on the showroom floor. I’d wait until the color I want is out of stock locally then order it with the accessories I want. Wishful thinking I’m sure, lol.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I would think you would find it is more of a guide and then you go to the dealership and work on them for the price you want to pay and meet some where in the middle. I have never paid retail price for any bike or car ,but use the apps and web sites to get an idea what they sell for . But having said that they would get a lot of people that walk into a dealership and pay the full retail asking price, don't ask me why you would do that but there are some that are scared to ask for discounts or push for a deal. You will know when the dealers can't go any further after shopping around playing one against the other., you get a sense of their bottom line after one or two dealership.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Local dealerships to me do not discount accessories. Cheapcycleparts has good discounts on OEM accessories if you don’t mind waiting a bit for an item. I’m looking to get a new bike and am looking at some big ticket accessory items. I’d rather they come installed by the factory. I’m sure I’d have to special order the bike through a dealership. Which is fine.
Well, the one where I bought mine did.

- 2019 Scout 60 sticker $9499. Paid $8000 out the door

- Full face helmet and a Indian Racing riding jacket sticker $380. Paid $275 out the door.

- Laced spoke wheels sticker $1040. Paid $975 installed out the door.

YMMV

·
Founding member
1,023 Posts
@freezeland stated exactly how it worked for me. They didn't have the Indian Red in stock when I purchased mine. So I ordered it as I wanted it and it was set up as I requested at pick up... This was March '14 so I did have to wait on a couple accessories, but nothing requiring labor. No charge added for labor and all accessories were put on at the dealership when they got the bike in, prior to me picking it up. I believe you could still do it this way and I would be surprised if labor was added... Maybe for a bbk or cams..?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Sometimes the dealer will work with you as far as purchase and install of accessories. My RM had the floorboard fringe and leather trunk bag already installed, and I had them take those items off the bike (and remove them from the invoice!). Same dealer removed a Dirty Bird exhaust from a Scout and put the stock exhaust back on at the request of a customer that was purchasing the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts