Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IndianAftermarket for sale. What does that mean?

I bought one of the early 2015 Scouts and every option they offered. As the parts slowly came in I realized I did not like them very much. So I started making my own accessories. (I am an inventor that manages to make a living from my designs.) Others liked what I made so I considered selling parts. I discovered that the website www.IndianAftermarket.com was not being used so I bought it for $15. It quickly became a nice hobby business. I also started the Charleston, SC IMRG Chapter. Every time I rode the bike, I worked on new design ideas. Then back to the shop to build things. In 2016 I bought a Springfield so I could make 111 parts. I now offer about 80 parts including sizes and colors.

For that last 4 1/2 years I could usually deliver an order within a few days. Once the Covid deal hit, I figure the business would die. WRONG! the business nearly tripled. It has moved out of the hobby level and the current set up is not keeping up with orders. Some customers have to wait 4 weeks for many items. (Other vendors are experiencing the same.) I am an old man working 7 days a week now and questioning my sanity.

So it is time to turn it into a real company. What this means is I need to set up to semi-mass produce parts and put them into inventory. I also need to change some of the production methods to allow unskilled workers to make the parts. All this means more buildings, more machines, and more people. I think I need capital.

I am open to someone with capital and know how to buy me out. Or someone to invest and help me build it properly. I have many other product ideas beside the Indian parts. I also think there is going be a wave of US manufacturing in the near future. This little company could move into that arena very nicely.

Now that I have exposed myself, please don’t call thinking I will just rattle off all my private info and numbers. I only want to discuss this with parties that are able to do something like this. Numbers like $300,000 are needed to set up a full fledged factory. Even if you outright bought the company from me, you would need capital to keep it going or you will end up like me chained to the work shop. I really want to make sure the products continue and the reputation is not lost. It probably makes sense that I stay on and continue to develop new products.

I welcome any comments or suggestions. I enjoy serving this community of bikers. 25% of the business is international and it is fun to deal with people all over the world.

·
Rider
1,056 Posts
Exciting! Peculiar how sometimes we become slaves to our hobbies....? Wish you well with that Marcus.

·
Registered
2018 Chief Dark Horse
674 Posts
Marcus. It is great that it is turning that way. I wish you good luck finding proper investor/buyer for your company. And i believe that you have to stay in and continue developing new products and ensuring the company will stand for what you have created. Good luck.

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
After being in my trade for 47 years, and being self employed for 32 years. ... I can tell you that it is a lot easier getting into business then it is getting out.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Absolutely awesome for you man. I hope it works out. I wish I had that kinda capital to do it as I would love to do nothing but Indian Motorcycle / Motorcycle related work for a career.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the supportive comments. Can't complain, there are many people that can't pay their rent or mortgage. But I never dreamed I would be working 80 hours a week at age 66. Anyway this is a nice group of people to deal with. Almost everyone has been understanding about production delays. I still feel guilty. I want to make everyone happy all the time. I would make a lousy politician. So again this seems to be a good place to ask. If you know anyone that is afraid of the Stock market future, tell them to look at me as an opportunity to get rich or at least have fun going broke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts