Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tribe,

I have to vent here. I have never had a bike that has had so much red loctite on it like this one. I have no idea why in the heck you need red loctite on the air filter box screws. While trying to put on the stage one kit, I snapped off 2 or the 3 bolts because it was installed with red loctite. That makes no sense!!

So after drilling them out and retapping the holes I got her installed but a five minute job turned into a 2 hour event.

It wouldn't be so bad but this isn't the 1st set of bolts that I have uncovered that were installed this way. My rear crash bar bolts were also installed with red Loctite.

Indian what happened. You ran out of blue loctite and decided that red was fine? That's not cool guys. That stuff is designed for permanent installations. Not on crash bar and airbox bolts.

Rant over.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
The EXACT SAME THING happened to me a few weeks ago trying to install a Lloyd'z facet-cut airbox on my Chieftain. Not only were the bolts to the outside of the stock filter installed with loctite, but the heads were already stripped. Drilling didn't work, and two of the bolts had to be taken out with a dremel (to remove the heads). If I had any intention of reusing the stock cover, I'd have been screwed (figuratively) because it was ruined in the process. A one hour job ended up taking two days trying to figure out what to do (it was relatively easy after the cover came off). Indian also used loctite on the seat bolts, and lord knows that thing will have to come off countless times over the life of the bike. Yes, it makes zero sense that Indian will loctite any outside bolt they know more than likely is going to come off. Using it on the air filter cover is a real head scratcher.

I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next time try removing them on a hot engine?
(Aluminum expands more than steel)
Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Bike was torn down for two days while I was doing upgrades to almost everything. Speakers, bars, pegs, grips, airbox, and lighting.

Don't think it would have mattered. They soaked those bolts in Loctite. Whoever was on the assembly line that day needed to relax.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Scout passenger pegs had so much red loctite that the bolts weren't tight. They bottomed out on the excessive loctite before tightening down on the mounts. They were a real bugger to get out -- took hours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A supervisor or an engineer at the assembly plant had to have authorized its use for it to be used on so many bikes.
RED Loc-Tite should never be used on any fastener smaller than 1/2" in diameter, and then ONLY one drop on any fastener smaller than 3/4" in diameter. While working in the nuclear industry I've read a detailed report / letter from Loc-Tite on this subject. They say.....Knowledge and communication is the key to success...!
Thanks for making me aware of the situation.....I haven't started wrenching on mine yet but will definitely proceed with caution knowing a 20 minute job could turn into 2 hour fiasco.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thankfully I didn't have that issue when I did my stage 1 intake. Red loctite should not have been used on those fasteners

·
Rider
434 Posts
I spent and hour taking one hard to reach bolt out of my wife’s Scout right side passenger peg. Loctite all the way out.
I told my wife if I ever meet the man that did this I was gonna knock his teeth out.

Reactions: dreddey

·
Registered
410 Posts
The bolts on my previous Chief Vintage were in so tight that the allen head screws almost stripped out trying to remove the seat. I thought I had messed up the threads, but they were ok. My new Chief didn't have the Loctite on the seat bolts and were much easier to remove. Some fasteners don't need to be so ridiculously tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts