Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A word of warning to potential Indian buyers.

I purchased a brand new 2015 Indian Roadmaster on 1/31/2015. I serve as the VP of the local Indian Riders Group, and am an avid daily rider.

Just prior to this, I had a great 2009 HD FLHX for 6 years, and a Gilroy Indian before that. The list of bikes goes on, but those are the most relevant.

My Harley never gave me issues, I had one warranty claim, which was defective paint on the tank. I took it in, had it handled and it was worry free after that.

My 2000 Gilroy Indian was great, rode like a clunky sawhorse, but fun none-the-less, It had the S&S engine, no problems, I really enjoyed that bike as well.

So, here Indian is back, and somewhat affordable (Compared to the Kings Mountain era) my first mistake was trading in a perfectly good Harley to give the new Indian a shot. So far it has been one of the worst decisions I’ve made.

Out the door I paid around 39,000.00(this did include a maintenance package etc.) I worked three jobs (one was part time at Harley) last year to make the payments, and actually pay it off. Everything I have is in this bike.

Since my purchase date, I’ve had warranty claim after warranty claim, these last few were the last straw for me.

Here is a list of some of the issues I’ve had: (From the little things, to potentially dangerous)

2/17/15 Reprogram FOB

4/2015 New front amp

10/17/15 New FOB

7/14/2015 Bubbling Chrome replaced

12/19/2015 FOB Reprogram

1/26/2016 New ABS Module – Brakes didn’t work and flew threw an intersection on my way to work.

1/26/2016 New Speed Sensor

1/26/2016 New Roadmaster Emblems

2/24/2016 New Stator

2/24/2016 New Volt Regulator and gasket

3/10/2016 New Starter

3/10/2016 New Seat

4/9/2016 New bars (first set of “Midrise” bars had bad chrome)

4/09/2016 Heated Grips replaced

4/09/2016 New Lid Seal

4/09/2016 New Mirrors (Bubbling Chrome)

4/15/2016 Fix Windshield

TBD New bars, the second set of midrise bars also has bad chrome

I’ve been working with my dealer, who agrees that I have a lemon, to pursue some type of resolution. We are being met with severe resistance from Brandon (I believe) in the warranty department.

All I want is a bike I can trust, depend on and be proud of. What I have is a sour taste in my mouth, and a sense of betrayal and confusion as to why Indian won’t stand behind their product.

I want to stay with Indian, I believe in the name, the heritage, and they’ve been in my family for generations.

For Indian to treat their loyal customs like garbage when there are legitimate issues is absurd.

This letter is a warning to potential buyers,

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Doesn't sound to me like you've "been treated like garbage", since so far all your issues have been addressed.... ??

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Will admit you have had some minor issues other than the Brakes that can be deadly .. I am still optimistic about my engine being rebuilt properly under warranty .. when saw some of the repeat failures you had on simple things make me wonder how competent is the staff doing the work on your Bike ? Can have the friendliest Sales Staff in the world but does not help a bit without some good wrenching knowledge out in the Service Bay ..

·
Registered
244 Posts
If your warranty issues were resolved it seems to me like Indian has stood behind their product, if you're looking for them to give you a new bike for these past issues I think that's pretty unreasonable.
With all the thousands of parts and dozens of suppliers the likelihood of something going wrong are inevitable.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The dealer is responsible. Fob issues and bubbling chrome are minor things they handled. Stator/ v reg problems? seems like you have a parts changer working on your bike. Abs thing is not good I admit. I feel for you though. You spent big bucks. But 39,000? I thought the most expensive RM was 27,000.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wow, That is a list of frustration. To be honest, even though these things have been taken care of, I'd feel let down by the quality of the product Indian is putting out too. I'm not sure why Indian would start to be resistant to your issues, I would think it would be the opposite. Happy customers are better than Unhappy ones.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I need to know please.... What led you to believe the amp was bad? Was the sound crappy? Did it cut out entirely? My front sound is so poor. The rear speakers sound great. I just get hem and haw from the dealer every time I bring it up.
I thought all you guys were having these kind of problems... Inherent to Polaris building a throwaway bike?

In five years, ya just buy another one......
image.jpeg

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I thought all you guys were having these kind of problems... Inherent to Polaris building a throwaway bike?

In five years, ya just buy another one......
View attachment 41195
I had way worse problems with two of my HD than bad sound my friend. HD engines inherently love to COME APART, I didn't see that one in his list of complaints. HD also has had many SAFETY RECALLS where people were getting killed due to design defects. So, troll elsewhere...

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I had way worse problems with two of my HD than bad sound my friend. HD engines inherently love to COME APART, I didn't see that one in his list of complaints. HD also has had many SAFETY RECALLS where people were getting killed due to design defects. So, troll elsewhere...
I've seen HD problems over years.. 2003 was a great year for that.. New crank, new output bearing.. Brand new CVO 103's in the service area.. Engines completely torn apart...

You have to balance quality with cost...

Chrome plated plastic, is not quality.. It will always fail..
You don't like my observations, you call it trolling..
Yep that's me a "super troll"!!!

Polaris is supposed to raise the bar, not tell HD it's ok to use junk, and say look! You can still sell bikes.

Another problem, Polaris offers a one week machanics training course..

They got you covered....

I expect more from a huge Billion dollar company that touts "Choice"

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I keep hearing about chrome covered plastic. The indian has as much chrome covered plastic as the harley.
Name badge on springfield/streetglide-plastic
I think turn signals are also plastic.
Fender tips are plastic. But they are fender tips. Designed to throw out if you damage them. Instead of damaging fender.
Side covers on indian and street glide-hard plastic
Again, I really loved my street glide. But ya gotta ride an indian. I don't mean around the block. I mean a real ride.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Each can make a lemon. What's the count per thousand? That's what matters.

Course you'll need to bake in the fact that one is clearly an overall better product to start with.

So many 14s without anything major problems...heading out on one now...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A word of warning to potential Indian buyers.

I purchased a brand new 2015 Indian Roadmaster on 1/31/2015. I serve as the VP of the local Indian Riders Group, and am an avid daily rider.

Just prior to this, I had a great 2009 HD FLHX for 6 years, and a Gilroy Indian before that. The list of bikes goes on, but those are the most relevant.

My Harley never gave me issues, I had one warranty claim, which was defective paint on the tank. I took it in, had it handled and it was worry free after that.

My 2000 Gilroy Indian was great, rode like a clunky sawhorse, but fun none-the-less, It had the S&S engine, no problems, I really enjoyed that bike as well.

So, here Indian is back, and somewhat affordable (Compared to the Kings Mountain era) my first mistake was trading in a perfectly good Harley to give the new Indian a shot. So far it has been one of the worst decisions I’ve made.

Out the door I paid around 39,000.00(this did include a maintenance package etc.) I worked three jobs (one was part time at Harley) last year to make the payments, and actually pay it off. Everything I have is in this bike.

Since my purchase date, I’ve had warranty claim after warranty claim, these last few were the last straw for me.

Here is a list of some of the issues I’ve had: (From the little things, to potentially dangerous)

2/17/15 Reprogram FOB

4/2015 New front amp

10/17/15 New FOB

7/14/2015 Bubbling Chrome replaced

12/19/2015 FOB Reprogram

1/26/2016 New ABS Module – Brakes didn’t work and flew threw an intersection on my way to work.

1/26/2016 New Speed Sensor

1/26/2016 New Roadmaster Emblems

2/24/2016 New Stator

2/24/2016 New Volt Regulator and gasket

3/10/2016 New Starter

3/10/2016 New Seat

4/9/2016 New bars (first set of “Midrise” bars had bad chrome)

4/09/2016 Heated Grips replaced

4/09/2016 New Lid Seal

4/09/2016 New Mirrors (Bubbling Chrome)

4/15/2016 Fix Windshield

TBD New bars, the second set of midrise bars also has bad chrome

I’ve been working with my dealer, who agrees that I have a lemon, to pursue some type of resolution. We are being met with severe resistance from Brandon (I believe) in the warranty department.

All I want is a bike I can trust, depend on and be proud of. What I have is a sour taste in my mouth, and a sense of betrayal and confusion as to why Indian won’t stand behind their product.

I want to stay with Indian, I believe in the name, the heritage, and they’ve been in my family for generations.

For Indian to treat their loyal customs like garbage when there are legitimate issues is absurd.

This letter is a warning to potential buyers,
I had a 2014 Chieftain that was a lemon. And they replaced the bike, Did you call corporate yourself ? That is what I had to do because the dealership was useless. I have had the new bike for almost 2 years now no problems at all. Indian stood behind their product I am very happy with the bike.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I keep hearing about chrome covered plastic. The indian has as much chrome covered plastic as the harley.
Name badge on springfield/streetglide-plastic
I think turn signals are also plastic.
Fender tips are plastic. But they are fender tips. Designed to throw out if you damage them. Instead of damaging fender.
Side covers on indian and street glide-hard plastic
Again, I really loved my street glide. But ya gotta ride an indian. I don't mean around the block. I mean a real ride.
Really? Name one part on a HD that is chrome plated plastic.. Maybe the DOT reflectors... But I've never seen or heard of one...

1 - 20 of 254 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.