Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you Indian riders.
My issue has to do with the fact that I am now facing my fourth (4th) replacement of my windshield.
The first replacement was due to a fault in the lower mounting point on the left hand side and it had a foreign fastener and washer inserted from delivery. No problem - my local dealer replaced the screen under warranty.
The second AND third screen cracked at different mounting points and were replaced under warranty, again no issue for the dealer except for the fact that they wanted to see the bike and screen together and the dealership is about 1 1/4 hours from me. So 2 1/2 hour round trip in heavy traffic to our capital city, Brisbane Australia.
The third screen has cracked at a mounting point mid-way up the screen and about 4" in from the left-hand side. All of the cracks have appeared at points where it is fastened to the chrome windshield frame.
I'm assuming that the dealer will submit yet another warranty claim, but I'm worried that this may continue to happen in the years to come and I will have to foot the bill for replacement following expiration of the warranty - approx. AU$1,500.00 per screen.
I would suspect that somewhere along the line, Polaris and/or the dealership will say "enough is enough" and refuse to replace the screen in future although, my attitude with these sorts of issues is that if a product is "not fit for purpose" then they will have to keep replacing the windshield at their cost. The inconvenience of this is starting to wear me down.

Question: has anyone else suffered from cracked screens in particular on a Vintage or Springfield or Dark Horse and was any reason given for the failure(s)?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The mounting screws may be too tight. The other option is to replace the screen with an aftermarket screen. most are a little thicker and some are different materials.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My issue has to do with the fact that I am now facing my fourth (4th) replacement of my windshield.
The first replacement was due to a fault in the lower mounting point on the left hand side and it had a foreign fastener and washer inserted from delivery. No problem - my local dealer replaced the screen under warranty.
The second AND third screen cracked at different mounting points and were replaced under warranty, again no issue for the dealer except for the fact that they wanted to see the bike and screen together and the dealership is about 1 1/4 hours from me. So 2 1/2 hour round trip in heavy traffic to our capital city, Brisbane Australia.
The third screen has cracked at a mounting point mid-way up the screen and about 4" in from the left-hand side. All of the cracks have appeared at points where it is fastened to the chrome windshield frame.
I'm assuming that the dealer will submit yet another warranty claim, but I'm worried that this may continue to happen in the years to come and I will have to foot the bill for replacement following expiration of the warranty - approx. AU$1,500.00 per screen.
I would suspect that somewhere along the line, Polaris and/or the dealership will say "enough is enough" and refuse to replace the screen in future although, my attitude with these sorts of issues is that if a product is "not fit for purpose" then they will have to keep replacing the windshield at their cost. The inconvenience of this is starting to wear me down.

Question: has anyone else suffered from cracked screens in particular on a Vintage or Springfield or Dark Horse and was any reason given for the failure(s)?
This is not a "bike" related response, but back in 1987, I had a Chevy Nova. In the 12 years that I owned that car, I put four whole sets of tires on it! Come to find out, the DEALERSHIP had the wrong sized tires on it from the beginning! It could be that it's the same deal with your windshield. Or they have the wrong tightening specs.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Senior member / gold
6,225 Posts
Use an aftermarket windshield when your warranty expires. Do the work yourself, and remember not to over-torque the hardware bolts. I have a 2016 with 23,000 miles and never had that problem with my windshield.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use an aftermarket windshield when your warranty expires. Do the work yourself, and remember not to over-torque the hardware bolts. I have a 2016 with 23,000 miles and never had that problem with my windshield.
Thanks for posting the link to the song Tennessee.
We live in Australia but we have visited the U.S. 5 times since 2003 and we have done a "house sit" in Old Dutch Valley near Clinton in Tennessee for 8-10 weeks each time while the owners go to Spain for their yearly holidays. The house that we sat turned 100 years old last time we were there and heck, do we miss the place!!
We can't go back to the U.S. as my wife has cancer and we are not covered by health insurance, so if anything went "pear shaped" with her, we would have to mortgage the house, dog, cat and Indian to get her back home.
So, no more Rocky Top, no more Old Dutch Valley, no more Norris Lake and no more riding in the best country in the world - bar none!! Also loved Montana and Washington State where riding is really enjoyable. Sincerely, you guys have the most beautiful country in the world and we will miss the land and its people.
So sadly our overseas riding is now confined to those countries in the world that have a health agreement with us Aussies. Went to Italy last year and rode some nice country, but you take your life in your hands on Roman roads - believe me, but the Moto GP was sensational and well worth the trip!!
Sorry for the long rant - it's just my style!!
Bill

·
Senior member / gold
6,225 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to the song Tennessee.
We live in Australia but we have visited the U.S. 5 times since 2003 and we have done a "house sit" in Old Dutch Valley near Clinton in Tennessee for 8-10 weeks each time while the owners go to Spain for their yearly holidays. The house that we sat turned 100 years old last time we were there and heck, do we miss the place!!
We can't go back to the U.S. as my wife has cancer and we are not covered by health insurance, so if anything went "pear shaped" with her, we would have to mortgage the house, dog, cat and Indian to get her back home.
So, no more Rocky Top, no more Old Dutch Valley, no more Norris Lake and no more riding in the best country in the world - bar none!! Also loved Montana and Washington State where riding is really enjoyable. Sincerely, you guys have the most beautiful country in the world and we will miss the land and its people.
So sadly our overseas riding is now confined to those countries in the world that have a health agreement with us Aussies. Went to Italy last year and rode some nice country, but you take your life in your hands on Roman roads - believe me, but the Moto GP was sensational and well worth the trip!!
Sorry for the long rant - it's just my style!!
Bill
Hope your "Better Half" recovers soon, mate!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice my friend.
I may very well do what you say, but first I'm going to hammer Polaris to keep replacing the windscreen until they find a fix. The fix that they come up with may very well help me and someone else with a similar issue. I have dropped the front tire pressure to 40psi from 46psi recommended which has given a softer ride but the screen still cracks at one of the mounting points along the chrome windshield brace. Boy, the Indian screen is not cheap - looked at the price sticker on the box of the last one delivered and it was in excess of AU$1,500!!
I really don't see why I should have to pay for a screen out of my own pocket as the bike is still under warranty.
The screen should not crack as it does.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts

First of all so sorry to hear about the screen issue. You will find once you have issue with anything and it is covered under warranty , it should be covered even once the warranty expires as it would be noted on Polaris / Indian Australia notes against your vin number. I am no expert but this seems as it the mounting points are where the issue is ,so what if you suggest to the guys in Brisbane that they look at also mounting some sort of rubber washer against the screen section to reduce the stress. The ask them the question about your warranty in the future as this sounds like and Indian issue and not one you have caused. I Indian should be looking at a fix via their tech department.It might take a while but keep the pressure on and see how you go. I know Chris from Indian Sydney goes up to Brisbane a bit, his switched on so even have a chat with him and see what he thinks.I really can not see that your not going to be covered as you mentioned ,as Australia consumer laws would cover you . A lot of people don't know that even if a item is out of warranty they are still covered by that very law where a item should have a reasonable service and if it does not then it is clearly a product issue . I wish you well and suggest you even check someone like fair trading if your concern ,but by all means check and get it in writing from Polaris/ Indian Australia, that should you have the same problem after warranty is out that it will be still covered. I would also be asking about how tight the screen should be? as it is unusual to have it cracking at the mounting points sort has to be the torque of the mounting points or lack of cushioning between the screen and mount.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
They are tightening the screws too tight. They just need to be snugged a little bit. Harleys do the same thing I learned the hard way. I’ve had mine off and on no issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts