Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would appreciate your comments on purchasing the Indian Motorcycle Protection Plan, that Indian sent me as the original warranty on my 2015 Scout and Vintage expires next month. Except for the recalls, I never had a warranty issue. Is it better to be safe than sorry, or if nothing went wrong during the original warranty period, then it is doubtful anything will go wrong? Per bike: $400 for 3 years; $800 for 5 years; $1,000 for 6 years; $1,200 for 7 years. No idea what it covers. The mailing says to go the website and look it up (since providing that information with the mailing is good customer service).

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
If you asked a year ago, i would have recommended it, but with all the recent warranty voiding being discussed with the owners installing power vision cx , and probably any other excuse Polaris can come up with, I would not bother. Now that they (Polaris) are out of the gate, they have become less customer friendly IMO.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,387 Posts
If you asked a year ago, i would have recommended it, but with all the recent warranty voiding being discussed with the owners installing power vision cx , and probably any other excuse Polaris can come up with, I would not bother. Now that they (Polaris) are out of the gate, they have become less customer friendly IMO.
Look at it this way...it's their motorcycle, not yours. They let you keep it in your garage, and allow you to ride it, but don't go messing with it, it'll piss them off and they won't fix it for you if something goes wrong because of your meddling with their bike.

·
Bronze member
1,314 Posts
I had a very difficult time getting the simplest warranty items fixed on my '16 to the point the issues kind of stacked up and I traded it for a '17 to avoid letting go of a childhood dream. I did that with the understanding I would not use their warranty without exercising every way around it first.

In short, the extended warranty is not an investment I would consider sound based on my own experience.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
A 5 year one was free for a lot of 2014 and 2015 buyers. It was one year full warranty and then 4 years of an extended warranty with a $50 deduct per visit. Per visit. Not amount of work.
Some have used it with great success while others have had dealers fight them over gas gauge replacements. Depends on how the dealer views it. Check with service manager before purchasing. Its not an across the board 'same thing' even if it is an official Indian warranty. Might very well be worth it..............you never know

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Called my dealer about this and the office manager looked mine up. Turns out I got an extra year factory waranty on my 15 vintage. This is not in my paper work and sales manager never told me about it. I'll be there this Saturday and I want to see that extra year in writing.

I live 158 miles from my dealer and I'm thinking I may spring for the extra 3 years. Engine electronics being my concern. I'm thinking that the electrical/electronics of these scooters are the weak point. Other crap is fair wear and tear after a period of time.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I would be reading the warranty info before deciding to purchase. The fine print may identify a few things you are not aware until a claim is submitted. K follow my gut when making decisions like this. Review, research and best of luck!
Remember to ride safe

·
Banned
421 Posts
As many are noticing here Polaris does not like to do the right thing by some of their customers. The key to getting good customer service as an Indian owner is not through Polaris but through a good dealer who not only cares about you as a customer but also who knows how to navigate around Polaris' resistance to customer service. If you have access to any of the good dealers then I would say the warranty is worth it.

·
Bronze member
2,655 Posts
I'm not a fan of extended warranties. The only reason they're offered is because it's a money maker for the issuer of the warranty.

Yes, you always hear that anecdotal story about the person that saved thousands on a repair, but that's the exception.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
i would appreciate your comments on purchasing the Indian Motorcycle Protection Plan, that Indian sent me as the original warranty on my 2015 Scout and Vintage expires next month. Except for the recalls, I never had a warranty issue. Is it better to be safe than sorry, or if nothing went wrong during the original warranty period, then it is doubtful anything will go wrong? Per bike: $400 for 3 years; $800 for 5 years; $1,000 for 6 years; $1,200 for 7 years. No idea what it covers. The mailing says to go the website and look it up (since providing that information with the mailing is good customer service).
First, what are your intentions for your bike? Will you be keeping for a length of time and trading every couple years?
If you're one who trades every couple years, will most likely not be worth it.

Second, are you one of those you does modifications such as ram air intakes, larger throttle body, cat removal and reprogramming of the ECM/PCM?
If you're doing mods like those named above, it will most likely not be worth it.

Do you do your own maintenance or does your dealership do your maintenance?
If you're doing your own maintenance you must keep receipts and provide a maintenance log to prove the required maintenance has been done.

Service Contracts are legal binding contracts between YOU and the DEALER you purchased it from. I do recommend you buy a Service Contract with the Polaris/Indian name on it (if you do purchase one) because an aftermarket company doesn't have a "dog in the fight" if there is a warranty issue that arises, Polaris/Indian does since it's their bike and their Service Contract.

Definitely get a copy of the Service Contract as @Punkus13 stated, NOT a sales brochure! Get a copy of the Contract itself that lists the coverages, terms and conditions and exclusions!!

PM me if you want anymore info about this, don't want to bore everyone with the "fine print" of a Service Contract. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, what are your intentions for your bike? Will you be keeping for a length of time and trading every couple years?
If you're one who trades every couple years, will most likely not be worth it.

Second, are you one of those you does modifications such as ram air intakes, larger throttle body, cat removal and reprogramming of the ECM/PCM?
If you're doing mods like those named above, it will most likely not be worth it.

Do you do your own maintenance or does your dealership do your maintenance?
If you're doing your own maintenance you must keep receipts and provide a maintenance log to prove the required maintenance has been done.

Service Contracts are legal binding contracts between YOU and the DEALER you purchased it from. I do recommend you buy a Service Contract with the Polaris/Indian name on it (if you do purchase one) because an aftermarket company doesn't have a "dog in the fight" if there is a warranty issue that arises, Polaris/Indian does since it's their bike and their Service Contract.

Definitely get a copy of the Service Contract as @Punkus13 stated, NOT a sales brochure! Get a copy of the Contract itself that lists the coverages, terms and conditions and exclusions!!

PM me if you want anymore info about this, don't want to bore everyone with the "fine print" of a Service Contract. ;)

I did purchase the service contract on both my Scout and Vintage. Goes in every 5,000 miles, I believe up to 25,000 miles. Lonestar has always been good to me, although it still upsets me that the former service manager, now general manager, told me they don't wash the bikes after service because they are too busy. Ft. Worth always washed my bikes. H-D always washed my bikes. Labor rate is also outrageous. Thinking I may take the bikes to Strokers for installing accessories. I am a desk jockey, but I am capable of doing some things, but it doesn't come easy.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
You are OK with an Indian warranty................just stay a little cautious about aftermarket warranties.
I did purchase the service contract on both my Scout and Vintage. Goes in every 5,000 miles, I believe up to 25,000 miles. Lonestar has always been good to me, although it still upsets me that the former service manager, now general manager, told me they don't wash the bikes after service because they are too busy. Ft. Worth always washed my bikes. H-D always washed my bikes. Labor rate is also outrageous. Thinking I may take the bikes to Strokers for installing accessories. I am a desk jockey, but I am capable of doing some things, but it doesn't come easy.
Unreal. Upset about not getting a bike washed? Guess it takes all kinds. There are some who kill you mid - sentence for washing their bike. Upset? Wait till you file taxes the first time. Upset...........

·
Registered
188 Posts
A 5 year one was free for a lot of 2014 and 2015 buyers. It was one year full warranty and then 4 years of an extended warranty with a $50 deduct per visit. Per visit. Not amount of work.
Some have used it with great success while others have had dealers fight them over gas gauge replacements.
Still have 2 years left on my 5 year deal that came with the bike back in 2014. I've used it twice with no fuss or headaches.

Agree with other comments, the dealer makes all the difference here.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Lone Star has always been good to me as well, however I'm concerned about the recent changes there. I'll be there tomorrow for the 5k oil change, and hot dogs, visiting and fan fare. As for the wash, I don't like #37 getting wet so I really don't like them washing my bike. Thomas knew that, I'll have to let the new guy know. [cigar]

I deal with finance and insurance all day, including service contracts and warranties and most other products a dealership would sell.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Don't bother. Look at the list of things it doesn't cover! It's a waste of money. It's through a 3rd party, and if you think Polaris is bad about denying claims, the 3rd party guys are famous... Just look at the list of things that are not covered... Any mods? Forget about it.

OTOH, 400 ain't bad for 3 more years... Might get lucky, and I can't think of a single "repair" that wouldn't cost $400 at an Indian dealer. That doesn't cover labor for a tire change at some Indian shops. But really, read the fine print. 3rd party warranties suck. Last offer I got had a longer list of not covered than covered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just came across the warranty issues, so here what I was told: 2015 scout 11200 miles, first time rear wheel was ever removed (replacing both tires ) found rear sprocket bearing bad so took it to dealer (Scottsdale AZ). After two weeks I finally got an answer that polaris would not cover the bearing ITS A WEAR ITEM, thats funny they covered it for others. Sounds like they pick and choose what they want to cover when they want. If anyone has removed these bearing , let me know how ,so far its been a big ordeal just removing the spacers. Now there is no provision to grab bearing.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Just came across the warranty issues, so here what I was told: 2015 scout 11200 miles, first time rear wheel was ever removed (replacing both tires ) found rear sprocket bearing bad so took it to dealer (Scottsdale AZ). After two weeks I finally got an answer that polaris would not cover the bearing ITS A WEAR ITEM, thats funny they covered it for others. Sounds like they pick and choose what they want to cover when they want. If anyone has removed these bearing , let me know how ,so far its been a big ordeal just removing the spacers. Now there is no provision to grab bearing.
A lot of times these "warranty" repairs are on the dealer, trying to be a good dealer and wanting your business enough to eat the minimal cost of a couple of bearings.
Polaris is most likely never contacted....

·
Registered
274 Posts
There's another thread on this somewhere. I used to sell this kind of product and within the industry it's considered to represent pure profit. We got a commission on every one we sold. Your call though.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain came with the extended warranty aka service contract. when the rubber seal on the stator wires that come out of the block started to leak the extended contract covered the repair except for the $50 deductible. Total cost was around $550. I also had the front TPMS sensor replaced under under the extended warranty/ The dealer, Arlen Ness, did not cover the front highway bars that have pitting in the chrome as well as the mirrors that have chrome issues as well. Since this warranty came free I cannot ***** about what it did or did not cover. I will say that PII offering this extended warranty was one reason I bought a new untested bike. My 2016 DH is coming up on it's 2 year warranty end and I was considering asking the dealer about purchasing the extended warranty. I figure the cost of this contract varies at each dealer based on the model of Indian covered and how greedy they are? When I take my DH in for it's 15K service in June I will see what the cost is. Hope that those of you reading this thread who purchased an extended warranty will post what you paid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts