Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned and ridden Fatboy for decades. I am thinking about getting another bike. Currently I have a fatboy I rebuilt and it gets me all over the country I just want something different. LOL.

What is the best Indian version of the Fatboy I should look at?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Chief Classic(no longer an option new) or the Chief Darkhorse would be closest to a fat boy in my opinion. If ya want new and don’t want all blacked out like the darkhorse then the Chief Vintage would be next closest.

I guess a Springfield would work too. I mean remove the bags and it’s the same underneath as the vintage and darkhorse. But if ya don’t want a hardbag bagger then it’s kinda a waste to get the Springfield(especially with the bag mounts on the exhaust that would show whenever the bags are off). But a new Springfield Darkhorse might be worth it to have the 116 engine stock.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
The Springfield doesn't look to bad with the bags off. I take mine off once a year or so for a couple of weeks. It's a whole different ride with them off...

·
Rider
944 Posts
I have owned and ridden Fatboy for decades. I am thinking about getting another bike. Currently I have a fatboy I rebuilt and it gets me all over the country I just want something different. LOL.

As I see it only one comes without bags Chief Dark Horse.

Chief Vintage comes with leather bags that you can leave off and if you ever want/need them you have them. Also, the bikes with leather bags do not have the small brackets on the mufflers for support. Leather bags are not lockable. At least my buddies 17 RM classic has no muffler brackets.

Springfield, hard bags, lockable, and removable but has the small brackets on the muffler.

Springfield Dark Horse, hard bags, lockable, and removable. (I have not looked at these bikes mufflers so this is an assumption) has the small brackets on the muffler.

Personally, if I bought one without a fairing it would be a 2019 Springfield its more like the Road King. But with the bags removed might be close enough to what you are looking for. I would change to apes and a one up with the colors Jade and black love that color combo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well Icreepin all I can say is I too have ridden a HD Softail for well over a decade,and wasn't in the market for another bike. But had seen the Indians from time to time and wanted to test ride one for the hell of it. Last September I was going through Sturgis so stopped by the Indian dealership. I took a Springfield for a ride and that's all it took. Although I didn't make a deal their I do now own a 2019 Springfield. Oh and I ended up selling Harley-Davidson.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,254 Posts
For a new Indian yeah the Vintage or Springfield would do. If you don't mind used a Chief Classic or Dark Horse would be fine. Used Indians aren't as plentiful as used Harleys but they're out there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My vote is the Chief Darkhorse, but I'm a bit biased.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Call your local Indian dealer and see what demo models they have. Set up a test ride and see what you think. I rented a Harley Ultra at Las Vegas Eagle rider. Rode it for 2 days, about 100 miles. Then test rode a Indian Roadmaster at my local dealer. My decision was made. I now own the Indian. Over 20,000 miles in 2 years and i have No regrets...

·
Registered
81 Posts

If you're going to jump to Indian / Polaris / Victory for something "different" my pick would be a Challenger. It is definitely different than a FatBoy. I owned (4) HD's as of December 2019. I traded one of them in (my 2012 Electra Glide) and added a 2020 Challenger to the mix.

My impressions of riding this bike are GREAT. It's fast, powerful, has smooth suspension a killer sound system, it has 3 riding modes (RAIN - STANDARD - SPORT) plus it's quite comfortable for my height and size. The Challenger motor, suspension, frame and brakes are top of the line....most of of which you would have to purchase after-market on most HD models. The only draw-back is you are now joining a motorcycle company that in my opinion is still trying to find their way with the rest of the equipment that is bolted onto the bike. You will find that some of the equipment is lacking a bit in quality compared to what you are accustom to with HD. BUT...I guess you can't get everything you desire for $22,999.00

I have had some issues with Dealerships and equipment but I have been able to look past some of the minor imperfections because RIDING this new Challenger is definitely a thrill. (for me at least). My advice is take one for a nice long test ride and see what you think. Good Luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts

After 2 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000's, then '15 Roadmaster, then '18 Roadmaster Elite, and now the 2020 Challenger Dark Horse - my only suggestion to you would be to not make a final decision until you've tried the Challenger. Never have a had this much enjoyment/pleasure on 2 wheels. I am by no-means a speed junkie, but it's there if I want it. The bike is more comfortable than the RM (I'm a huge guy) - it owns the road - period.

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

If Indian had something like a Fatboy or a Street Bob, I'd own it.

Sadly, they do not yet.

They have a "Road King" and a "Street Glide" and a "Road Glide", but that's it.

You're looking at 850+ lbs.

The Vintage or Springfield (Road King) are good bikes and you would find them more comfortable and better on the highway, but a bit heavier.

I just sold my Chieftain (Street Glide) and am riding a Scout. It basically has the Vrod engine in it and is an absolute blast to ride (not to mention half the $$)

At least test ride a Scout. It is NOT a "Sportster" --- I've owned a few.

The Scout is much closer to the Fatboy, but has better lean angle and will leave it in the dust.

I absolutely love my Scout.

·
Senior member / rider
1,307 Posts
If Indian had something like a Fatboy or a Street Bob, I'd own it.

Sadly, they do not yet.

The Vintage or Springfield (Road King) are good bikes and you would find them more comfortable and better on the highway, but a bit heavier.

I just sold my Chieftain (Street Glide) and am riding a Scout. It basically has the Vrod engine in it and is an absolute blast to ride (not to mention half the $$)

At least test ride a Scout. It is NOT a "Sportster" --- I've owned a few.

The Scout is much closer to the Fatboy, but has better lean angle and will leave it in the dust.

I absolutely love my Scout.
View attachment 596241
Yes! In my mind Polaris has a good sized hole in their lineup. I do not want a 900# motorcycle. I’ve got no use for that. And the Scout, while a nice machine, is a bit too small. To me, the new Softail line is close to the Goldilocks size. I’d seriously consider a Sport Glide or possibly a Heritage, but I simply do not want an HD. Even if Polaris created a Challenger based motorcycle without the fairing, think Challenger Springfield, I’d seriously consider that. But I do know that I’m in the minority here, and that fairings with big screen TVs, more electronics than the Starship Enterprise are what sells. I love ABS and cruise control, and ride modes are OK. Otherwise, it’s overkill to me. Hopefully 2021 brings a few new models.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
697 Posts

Basically find the color you like in a chief class and buy. I'll co-op the saying be loud be proud, Personally i like my Willow green and cream matched pair, no one will ever confuse it with a HD. Riding both a Scout and Chieftain classic.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Actually, the Chief Dark Horse is listed at 768, fully fueled (736 empty)
My Springfield DH has the locking bags and w/s, bringing it up to 802.

·
5 years +
61 Posts

Hi:

I personally don't think Indian has anything to compare to your Fatboy. The HD softtail family is a much smaller bike than Indian offers in any of their 111 "classic style" motorcycles. And you've already commented that the Scout is a smaller bike than you are looking for.

You can throw around your Fatboy like a dirt bike. It is more nimble due to its weight, length, and height. You really need to test ride a 111 and feel the difference in your hands and what your body movement does to the Indian's handling versus your Fatboy's characteristics. Indians are BIG motorcycles, and the softail family is even smaller than HD's FL family, which is even smaller than the full size Indians. So if you want a bigger, heavier bike, you will like the Indian. But, if you're used to the nimbleness of your softtail, you might want to pass and consider a new Harley, with their copycat monoshock, and high cube motor. Above all, TEST ride everything you are considering, and you will be able to make the best choice for your riding style.

Hang in there....

Griff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts