Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Indian Vintage Tour Pack

35K views 58 replies 26 participants last post by  TheBru 
#1 ·
probably should have put this in the Vintage specific threads - recopying to it:

I bought an Indian Vintage a couple of months ago.
Right off the bat I was "missing" my tour pack from my HD Ultra Classic (the only thing really).
Was looking on line and found this and if you have a Vintage might like it. This guys name is Wayne at (Heather's Leather's - don't be fooled by the name-lol).
www.heathersleathers.com -- his FB page will show you better pictures of a tour pack he made for a Vintage.
It's nice - but in talking to him the other day - it is a just little pricey - (no where near Indian or HD pricey though).
Heather's Leathers - Clover, South Carolina - Motorcycles | Facebook (FB page - look towards the bottom for the Vintage Tour pack he custom made).
I believe he told me this one (attached pics) cost about $600 or so. And he can custom the color and shape etc.
He is in Clover SC (not to far a ride for me and going to go over and see him next week) - but he does make and deliver them.
He can also do custom bags etc...
Anyway it was cool and thought I would share it and see what others think including cost. I don't know that is that bad really? Interested in your comments.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This was a pretty bad experience honestly. He made one but the dimensions were wrong from what we had agreed too. And since last October have not been able to get him to redo it (he did refund my money though). Had agreed to a custom one - but now will not do that. Trying to get him to get back to me has been just futile really. Price has and keeps going up. I wish him well but it just got to be a bad experience for me personally honestly and I finally gave up. Still looking for something if anyone knows of something similar. thanks.

#4 ·
Hey Whiskeypsg. Also thank you for the follow-up post. Good warning about Heather's Leathers. Fellow on the forum that has a real nice bag that might be what you're looking for. Look at @pcampanjr 's thread on Leather-Tourpac-Tailbag.

He got it from Ledoux Leather . The owner is Butch LeDoux. He makes them in many different sizes and leather colors. It takes about 4 weeks to get the bag. I understand the quality is amazing. He matched the Indian color exactly. The bag has a hard wood bottom frame so it holds it's shape and easy to mount to the rack. Been thinking seriously about one of these myself.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

#5 ·
Ledoux Leather[/URL] . The owner is Butch LeDoux. He makes them in many different sizes and leather colors. It takes about 4 weeks to get the bag. I understand the quality is amazing.
...as a potential future client who contacted Butch, replies to email is not on their priority list. One hopes their after sales support, hack, sales itself is handled in a more timely manner.

I'm not alone, several people here have reported 'no reply' from Butch.

#6 ·
Hmmm . . . interesting to note. Close to my home is a saddlery, called Ron Sargent's Outback Leather. I showed him the pic of LeDoux's bag and he is going to make one for me, significantly less expensive too. He is also going to craft me Dessert Tan leather chaps with fringe. Also reasonable. One other item he will do free - my barter is for him to photograph the work for his own advertizing. As a Harley owner/rider, he wants to reach the fast growing Indian market too. :)

#15 ·
Hmmm . . . interesting to note. Close to my home is a saddlery, called Ron Sargent's Outback Leather. I showed him the pic of LeDoux's bag and he is going to make one for me, significantly less expensive too. He is also going to craft me Dessert Tan leather chaps with fringe. Also reasonable. One other item he will do free - my barter is for him to photograph the work for his own advertizing. As a Harley owner/rider, he wants to reach the fast growing Indian market too. :)
I also wrote to LeDoux and no answer, I'll wait to see Pics of yours done by Ron, I really would like to get something before hitting the road to Sturgis, if not, I believe that I may find something there, I guess a lot of guys are going to present their accessories.

#17 ·
What's the makers phone #

#19 ·
probably should have put this in the Vintage specific threads - recopying to it:

Right off the bat I was "missing" my tour pack from my HD Ultra Classic (the only thing really).
Was looking on line and found this and if you have a Vintage might like it. This guys name is Wayne at (Heather's Leather's - don't be fooled by the name-lol).
www.heathersleathers.com -- his FB page will show you better pictures of a tour pack he made for a Vintage.
It's nice - but in talking to him the other day - it is a just little pricey - (no where near Indian or HD pricey though).
Heather's Leathers - Clover, South Carolina - Motorcycles | Facebook (FB page - look towards the bottom for the Vintage Tour pack he custom made).
I believe he told me this one (attached pics) cost about $600 or so. And he can custom the color and shape etc.
He is in Clover SC (not to far a ride for me and going to go over and see him next week) - but he does make and deliver them.
Anyway it was cool and thought I would share it and see what others think including cost. I don't know that is that bad really? Interested in your comments.
Ledouxleather.com
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Cruiser

#27 ·
That would be me. Consigned the project to Ron just last week, so it's being made. Need to get sheet of ABS plastic to line the bag though. Price TBD but quoted around $475-$500, for a 24" X 12" X 12" roll bag with shoulder strap, conchos and fringe.

I'll certainly post pics of it when I take delivery.

#28 ·
Quinn: Thanks - just a suggestion. When Heather's did the original one for me - the workmanship was good....but he had the dimensions we agreed on all wrong. And he was really difficult to deal with in returning any kind of correspondence. But that bag being as tall as it was - showed us one thing. If the height is over the sissy bar in the back... looking at the bike from the back - you only see the bag - not the bike. Took away from it a bit really (in my opinion anyway) I wanted as big as I could get without it overwhelming the bike - becoming the focal point. The top of the sissy bar on mine as I recall was 14 inches - so we maxed at that for the one Osprey did. I'll post both to see what you think. ... This one was well above the Sissy bar... The width and depth was ok - but the height was way to big for the bike?

Attachments

#29 ·
The one Osprey did was much better dimensions I thought - but it is really a bit flimsy - this was 14" high as I recall. Good luck - hope it turns out well. The one from LeDoux on here looks really good too... I may eventually buy one of those.....

Attachments

#32 ·

I have done business with Wayne and the girls at Heathers Leathers for years. His work is outstanding and he stands by it. I had him fully leather up, fringe and concho my '46 Chief in brown and the work is simply amazing and very well done.
He is expensive, but he works with real, quality, heavy, leather and doesn excellent stitching. In the 10 years I have used his stuff, no complaints.
GETTING something from him, can take some time. There are days when he decides not to work or answer email, etc. and the girls follow up. Be sure to pin them down to a delivery time!

#34 ·
OK - I hate to say it but the one from Osprey after about 1 1/2 months on the bike (and has not even been caught in rain) - is falling apart. It is really FLIMSY. It is really just falling apart. You can't put anything of any weight in it without it sagging the bottom and/or sides. The guy at Osprey said he has improved on it - but when I asked him to send me a new one and I would sent this one back - he wouldn't do that. This will end up in the trash at some point. Hope you folks have better luck with this then I have had - but this is NOT worth $595.

Attachments

#36 ·
Eskimo thanks - but I am going to just by one from Ledoux I believe.
Every time something was wrong with it - it became mine to fix really.
It did have the Indian Logo like he said it would - so after asking several times - He sent me an aluminum Indian logo and you can put it on yourself. It didn't have the side pockets on it. It didn't have a way to secure it to the back of the seat so it would keep pulling away from it - I asked about that and he send me a strap, and no way to put it on. The bottom is very flimsy and your right at this point I could do something to fix it per above thanks. - I had to drill the holes in the bag to put the metal plate on. Drill holes in the bag to attach it to the sissy bar. But for $600 - not really worth it now. Also I had sent him up my luggage rack (at my cost) to use as a prototype. Didn't really think asking much to send me a new one and just take that one back and I would pay for that also.... From what I can see with the Ledoux ones they look nice and you don't have all those issues for $600? Thanks for the reply though - I don't know maybe I'll try that - just a bit frustrated with all of it by now. To bad INDIAN doesn't make something - there is obviously a market for it?
Thanks again.

#37 ·
I'm really sorry to see all the problems with the custom trunks and, like everyone else,
I'm disappointed that Indian or someone doesn't make a decent, spool mounted,
reasonably priced, rack and trunk combo.

While this is NOT an elegant solution to bag sag, it is effective and can be mounted
and removed from a sissybar rack in moments so that you only use it when you need
to support a large bag / trunk leaving your rack uncluttered in normal use.

I used one of these for years on my Harley to avoid bag-sag.I used a couple zip ties
to secure it to the rack and then placed the bag on top. Works like a champ and is
barely visible in most situations...

FWIW..

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

This post has been deleted
#49 ·
I bought a pretty nice Tour Pack last year from US Saddlebags for around $400. Leather matched my Chief Vintage very well, but upgraded last week and ordered a Tour Pack Boss Bags, from a listing on eBay. This one matches the color and texture of the Vintage Leather, exactly, has a plastic stiffener inside, and looks terrific

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.