Should Indian produce Stage 4 heads?

• Yes, I want them and would buy them

• No, no desire or need for them

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,686 Posts
I think the price will probably put-off a lot of people, but that's just my opinion. That new overhead cam 4 valve head motor pretty much outperforms anything a modded TS111 can do for less money.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,686 Posts
It's coming as a 2020 model and will be a liquid cooled motor. The company claims it will have 120 horsepower, probably measured at the crankshaft. Once that motor is out and available it would seem that throwing thousands of dollars at a TS111 would appear to be frivolous.

·
Senior Member / gold
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...unless a person wanted the ultimate, possibly last air cooled Indian motor to ever come out of the factory.

The new WC motor in its bikes may very well eclipse the TS bikes, but that doesn’t mean the TS111/116 riders won’t want to update and improve the performance of their bikes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's coming as a 2020 model and will be a liquid cooled motor. The company claims it will have 120 horsepower, probably measured at the crankshaft. Once that motor is out and available it would seem that throwing thousands of dollars at a TS111 would appear to be frivolous.
That depends upon how married you are to the classic aesthetic. Some love the classic style more than others. However, I agree with you.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Nah. Why upgrade a Neanderthal? Truthfully, enjoy it as it is.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like riding a stage III but not spending the $$ to do it. Have looked at the stage 4 packages for Harleys and the money spent is nuts

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Im at Stage 3 and I am done. Im already at about 15k+ in add ons and mods. That's money I will never get back. I knew that going in and I'm good with it. No regrets, just done.

·
Senior Member / gold
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One would also think that the heads could be installed at the same time as the 116” kit saving labor costs if done that way.

·
Rider
912 Posts
Each rider will have their own opinion. If the "leaked" photos that I have seen of a liquid cooled big cruiser with a fixed fairing, is what we can expect, I think that the Thunder Stroke series is VERY secure in stock form or as a beefed up hot rod.
The following is based on my opinions and what I've seen in the industry. Too many manufacturers have built EXCELLENT designs that perform well, but the buying public has it's limitations in so far as what will be considered acceptable. Engines that look industrial make for UGLY motorcycles, whatever the rest of the dressing around the engine. I believe that the Victory brand was a failure primarily because the engines are UGLY and the same goes for the HD V-Rods. They hauled arse! They were reliable. And Victories were largely ignored by riders (and journalists). HD kept the V-Rod in it's lineup as long as they did apparently hoping the new, younger generations would warm up to it. But they never did. Long stroke, overhead cam, four valve per cylinder big twins are TALL and hard to make pretty. Make them OBVIOUSLY liquid cooled, with minimal finning and they are UGLY and no matter what the rest of the bike looks like, the entire bike will be regarded as UGLY. You may sell some of the ugly bikes to Europeans, who ride more for pure performance AND good gas mileage, but Americans will stay away by the tens of thousands.
BMW makes GREAT, reliable, HIGH PERFORMANCE motorcycles. They're also just fine selling a small number of them to the few riders who are OK with asymmetrical headlights, weird bodywork and quirky designs. Is Indian hoping to steal some riders from that small pool?
Now consider the flip-side. Polaris developed a BIG, slow spinning, air cooled, push-rod, two valves per cylinder, narrow angle V-twin. Hmmmm... so far that sounds like an HD. But then they finned the hell out of it, put a big fake, finned rocker cover on top and made it freakin' BEAUTIFUL. It's a run away success!!
Does Polaris/Indian really think that they'll produce a new "Victory" engine and for some reason it's going to be a big seller? Gimme a break!

·
Senior Member / gold
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Each rider will have their own opinion. If the "leaked" photos that I have seen of a liquid cooled big cruiser with a fixed fairing, is what we can expect, I think that the Thunder Stroke series is VERY secure in stock form or as a beefed up hot rod.
The following is based on my opinions and what I've seen in the industry. Too many manufacturers have built EXCELLENT designs that perform well, but the buying public has it's limitations in so far as what will be considered acceptable. Engines that look industrial make for UGLY motorcycles, whatever the rest of the dressing around the engine. I believe that the Victory brand was a failure primarily because the engines are UGLY and the same goes for the HD V-Rods. They hauled arse! They were reliable. And Victories were largely ignored by riders (and journalists). HD kept the V-Rod in it's lineup as long as they did apparently hoping the new, younger generations would warm up to it. But they never did. Long stroke, overhead cam, four valve per cylinder big twins are TALL and hard to make pretty. Make them OBVIOUSLY liquid cooled, with minimal finning and they are UGLY and no matter what the rest of the bike looks like, the entire bike will be regarded as UGLY. You may sell some of the ugly bikes to Europeans, who ride more for pure performance AND good gas mileage, but Americans will stay away by the tens of thousands.
BMW makes GREAT, reliable, HIGH PERFORMANCE motorcycles. They're also just fine selling a small number of them to the few riders who are OK with asymmetrical headlights, weird bodywork and quirky designs. Is Indian hoping to steal some riders from that small pool?
Now consider the flip-side. Polaris developed a BIG, slow spinning, air cooled, push-rod, two valves per cylinder, narrow angle V-twin. Hmmmm... so far that sounds like an HD. But then they finned the hell out of it, put a big fake, finned rocker cover on top and made it freakin' BEAUTIFUL. It's a run away success!!
Does Polaris/Indian really think that they'll produce a new "Victory" engine and for some reason it's going to be a big seller? Gimme a break!
In a one word answer to your last question, “YES”

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
I'm happy with what I have, stage 2 with a PVCX. If I ever upgrade, I would consider the new engine coming out. I like to travel long distances and as much as I've wanted a classic Indian, I have what I wanted and I run the piss out of it; I'm just content to continue doing so.

That said, my curiosity is peaked with how Indian may have evolved without a 70 year hiatus. A big, comfortable, and well handling bike that has a ton of efficient power, and classic looks is not such a bad thing to me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I want to ride around on a couch and listen to some good tunes- RM TS111.

When want to haul ass- ZX14R.

When someone comes out with a tour bike that will crank out close to 200hp and do 190mph- then I will be impressed. Till then the 111 will do just fine

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I would if they worked with the 116 and gave reliability cooler running and shit loads more torque . But then again I am happy with what I have at the moment so should reserve my opinion on this till after the big bore kit is installed and ran in. I think I should except growing old disgracefully is enough . Plus money does not grow on trees after all it is Autumn here and we are loosing our leafs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts