Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Base
406 Posts
Bear with me here and forgive me for not tracking. What part of the trunk are you resting on the rear spools? The rear attachment points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You get the front fully seated, then the rear is sitting on the rear spools. Just push down, and you will hear (clunk) it seat. There really is no mystery to it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Bear with me here and forgive me for not tracking. What part of the trunk are you resting on the rear spools? The rear attachment points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The bottom of the trunk mount has two curved "bars" running between the front and back attachment points. I set them on the rear spools, then slide the trunk forward (lifting the rear) until the front attachment points lock in on the front spools. Then push down to lock the rear attachment points.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I have found that if I open the saddle bag lids, grab hold of the passenger armrest bars, I can usually get it mounted on my own. If I feel I need to set it down, or loose a grip, not going to hurt anything with the lids out of the way. I am 6ft. tall, so can usually look around the side while holding the trunk, so that I can line up the front latch on the spools. So it may be easier if you have the factory passenger armrests in place.
I'd be careful using the passenger armrest bars...the moving company managed to bend mine while using them to push the bike into the shipping crate.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
10 Posts
Taking it off is easy, although heavy. I just kept the locking bolts out to not have to remove the saddle bags. So far I've always put it back on myself, but it is very awkward. I get the front on, then wiggle it down into place. I did spliter/break my antenna last time I reinstalled, so caution. :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can remove the seat without removing the trunk. You just need to remove the charging port and use a long allen wrench to get to the bolt for the seat through the hole for the port.
Get a thumb screw for the seat bolt. Don't mess around with a long allen wrench...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rest the trunk mount on the rear spools, then lift and slide forward to engage the front spools. Then, move to the rear of the trunk and push down to engage the rear spools.
Yes, this. Been doing mine this way for 5 seasons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
67 years old and I remove and reinstall mine multiple times. Not an issue just a bit heavy. Remove the saddle bags and you will have more room. Take your time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was thinking about doing a pulley system to remove the trunk by myself since there are times I want to ride by myself. Tried to do it without the help from the wife and gave up. It’s not worth damaging the trunk or saddle bags or both. I take my time and remove the saddle bags and what else is in the way to make the job easier. These are expensive toys and not worth taking a chance.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts