Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody could help me out here. Is there an easy way for one person to take the Indian trunk on and off? I think I can get it taken off but I am concerned about reinstalling the trunk by myself without somebody guiding me to line up the front connection points. I don’t want to scratch the bike. Has anyone found an easy way to do this with one person?

Thank you ahead of time

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
I was wondering if anybody could help me out here. Is there an easy way for one person to take the Indian trunk on and off? I think I can get it taken off but I am concerned about reinstalling the trunk by myself without somebody guiding me to line up the front connection points. I don’t want to scratch the bike. Has anyone found an easy way to do this with one person?

Thank you ahead of time
Bought my RM in 2015 and I run a solo seat most of the time unless I'm heading out on the road. It's awkward to remove and to reinstall by yourself. Removing can be done carefully by yourself but I have never reinstalled without help. It's just to large and heavy to drop in place without help.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to be able to swap my seats back-and-forth. One very attractive seat for day rides and a less attractive seat but more comfortable for overnighters. It looks like the only way to easily remove the seat is to also remove the trunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
497 Posts
You can remove the seat without removing the trunk. You just need to remove the charging port and use a long allen wrench to get to the bolt for the seat through the hole for the port.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster
55 Posts
I can remove mine by myself, but I'm to chicken to put it back on without some help. I just know if I try it alone I'd drop the truck or scratch the hell out of something.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had mine on and off a dozen or 2 times since I bought it. Never have scratched it. it's heavy and awkward to do but can be done.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm 70 years young and take the trunk off and on by myself. I think about the process and then just do it by grabbing low on the trunk support and pulling up and away. I keep a portable work surface nearby to place the trunk on. I reinstall by myself and make sure there is a towel down first so I don't scratch the fender. The trunk weighs about 65 lbs empty, so consider what you have stored in it before trying yourself. Remember to grab low and pull up and away.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the issues I have swapping out the seats by myself is that the Corbin seat has the rear screw tab raised a little off the fender so I have to push it down and tighten the screw. I can’t do that with the trunk in the way. Does anyone else have a Corbin seat with that issue?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m 61, 5’7”and 185lbs and put mine on and off by myself. Just take your time and make sure your lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you line it up since the Indian trunk is so wide you can’t see the front spools as you bring the trunk towards the bike holding the trunk from behind?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How do you line it up since the Indian trunk is so wide you can’t see the front spools as you bring the trunk towards the bike holding the trunk from behind?

I hold my trunk from the left side and use the seat as a guide. Rest the trunk mount on the rear spools, then lift and slide forward to engage the front spools. Then, move to the rear of the trunk and push down to engage the rear spools.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hold my trunk from the left side and use the seat as a guide. Rest the trunk mount on the rear spools, then lift and slide forward to engage the front spools. Then, move to the rear of the trunk and push down to engage the rear spools.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bear with me here and forgive me for not tracking. What part of the trunk are you resting on the rear spools? The rear attachment points?

·
Bronze member
2,461 Posts
Heavy isn't it? I’m 5’9 and it takes a little finesse & muscle to get the trunk off by yourself. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. As mentioned, open your saddlebag lids or cover with a towel to avoid scratching. I’ve removed and installed from the rear and left side. The left side is difficult with the bad lid open. I place the trunk on a rolling cart I have in the garage and roll the trunk beside the bike. Bear hug the trunk and place it on the bike. You only have to see one side of the mount, if that side is lined up, so will the other side.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have found that if I open the saddle bag lids, grab hold of the passenger armrest bars, I can usually get it mounted on my own. If I feel I need to set it down, or loose a grip, not going to hurt anything with the lids out of the way. I am 6ft. tall, so can usually look around the side while holding the trunk, so that I can line up the front latch on the spools. So it may be easier if you have the factory passenger armrests in place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts