Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think Indian will start building a Trike in the near future? I thik it would be a great addition to the lineup

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went with an aftermarket as I was lead to believe that Polaris didn't want Indian to interfere with their Slingshot.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
I don't know about interfering with the slingshot... but what would the demand be?... I look at it a lot like a side car... if you want it you'll have to do it on your own... if you think a Harley trike is expensive what do you think a Indian trike would be?

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That i think is a hard call. with trikes so much $$$, But had to go to a HD dealership a short time ago with some friends. their whole inventory was mostly trikes. usually only about 4. had to be about 10 -12 of them. But if indian did go with making a trike prob about 45k personally when i get to stage i can't hold up a 2 wheel bike i be calling it a day.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I took a close look at one of the TiltingMotorWorks kits on a friend's RoadMaster. That is one beautiful piece of engineering. The ride and handling is very much the same as the bike always was. You lean it through the corners just the same. It takes way less rider strength in the parking lot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As the owner of a Harley trike and an Indian DH Springfield, I have a different perspective. The factory made trike has the two year warranty that you can't get from a aftermarket kit. Plus there are dealers everywhere to work on it if there is a problem. As far as cost, the Harley trike MSRP went DOWN $1100 for the 2020 models; still an expensive toy, but then so are the Indians.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As the owner of a Harley trike and an Indian DH Springfield, I have a different perspective. The factory made trike has the two year warranty that you can't get from a aftermarket kit. Plus there are dealers everywhere to work on it if there is a problem. As far as cost, the Harley trike MSRP went DOWN $1100 for the 2020 models; still an expensive toy, but then so are the Indians.
I can't speak for all trike conversions, but California Side Car (CSC) trike kits come with a 5 year warranty. Which, I believe, is longer than any motorcycle factory warranty.

Our 2015 RM factory warranty has expired, but the CSC trike kit installed in 2017 still has 3 years of warranty left.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't speak for all trike conversions, but California Side Car (CSC) trike kits come with a 5 year warranty. Which, I believe, is longer than any motorcycle factory warranty.

Our 2015 RM factory warranty has expired, but the CSC trike kit installed in 2017 still has 3 years of warranty left.
I should have been clearer in my statement. What I meant was that as soon as you install the trike kit your original manufacturer warranty goes away. I agree that the warranty on the conversion is usually pretty good.

·
Rider
666 Posts
We rented an HD trike just to see how they were. It was very well built and rode well. Yes, it was boring to ride because you miss the leaning into the curves but man, when it came time to stop and go every foot while trying to get into a packed Yellowstone on a ~100 degree day, it was GREAT plus having a reverse was a god-send in a couple situations.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Does anyone think Indian will start building a Trike in the near future? I thik it would be a great addition to the lineup
No. Way too much liability. They will continue to let the aftermarket assume that role and accept that high risk responsibility.
Trikes by their very design are dangerous in emergency maneuvers to avoid collisions.
To each his own, but I'd never buy one. I'd do a Spyder or quit riding before even considering one.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I rode my partners Harley trike and the ride is horrible with that strait axle and no rear suspension. That’s why I’d seriously consider one from tilting motor works.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Not any time soon, just like we won't see the 600 to 700 intermediate size bike some are clamoring for. Too many SKU, one of Harley's biggest issue is they have too many models and choices.

Yes good for the consumer, bad for Harley. Harley is being pressured hard to reduce almost half of their product line to return to profitability

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
I don't know about not seeing a 6-700 lb bike... but the 108 wasn't designed for one model...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
@Baron58 i agree right along with closing some dealers. How many softail and Bagger models are necessary it’s a bit overkill for sure. Not that eliminating models will help sell anymore bikes. But cutting back production and the amount of dealers will help the bottom line all day. As we’ve said before they are to big for this days market.

·
Silver member
4,816 Posts
I think it would be cool. And I will name it for you fellas:

Simply, THE CHIEFTAIN 3.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts