Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you converted your Indian to a trike? What i need to know is, do you know if the Chieftain has the right gearing to handle a trike kit or will i have to change the transmission sprocket? I do not even know if Indian has different transmission gears available does anyone? It took HD three years to figure out the right transmission and rear end sprockets before they got it right for their tri glides so if any of you mechanical guru's out there have professional info i could use it will be appreciated. I know the engine has plenty of power, but if the trike is not geared right it will struggle taking off because of lack of low end torque as i have converted two HD's to trikes and had to change the tranny sprockets form 32 tooth to 30 tooth. Indian dealers just tell me it will have plenty of power but they do not really know anything about trikes. If Indian really wants to be up front with the other big guy they should build factory trikes for us senior bikers with old wounds that prevent us from riding two wheeled bikes.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Up here in Sioux Falls Indian, they have made at least two trikes with good results. They have to use the front rake of the Vintage/Classic to make the wheelbase longer and better handling. I'd have to agree with the dealer about the power capabilities. I would think changing the ratios at the rear would not be needed. The torque on these is 119 ft. lbs. The bikes look like they could have come from the factory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know what trike kit they used to build the trikes? i also did not know that there was a difference in the front rakes between the two bikes ,i wonder why that is.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,749 Posts
do you know what trike kit they used to build the trikes? i also did not know that there was a difference in the front rakes between the two bikes ,i wonder why that is.
The Chieftain has a little steeper rake due to the weight and downforce on the fairing. The Classic and Vintage are a little bit longer, which should make them more stable at speed.
When I test rode a Vintage, I thought it "felt" heavier and a little harder to steer due to the rake, but have no complaints on the Chieftain at speeds up to 90 mph.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I just found a company called Mystery Designs ( mysterydesigns.com ) and they make a tilt system for the Chieftain, I'll need to email them to find out if they are going to make something for the Roadmaster. It does look very interesting thou.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
I too think if Indian/Polaris want to challenge Harley they better get a trike to market. There are a ton of us older riders beginning to look. Many already switched. But I want a two wheel Indian first so I can say I did it before I get my cane and trike.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I too think if Indian/Polaris want to challenge Harley they better get a trike to market. There are a ton of us older riders beginning to look. Many already switched. But I want a two wheel Indian first so I can say I did it before I get my cane and trike.
Think Slingshot :)

Reactions: Roll On

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My local dealer has been in the trike conversion business for years and have this beauty on the floor. Hannigan makes a beautiful trike kit if thats what you are after.
Nice but I still have my legs. Maybe in another ten years

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
After three years of riding trike I was more then happy to go back to two wheels, never again will I ride a trike.
My other ride is a 2013 Harley triglide I like both bikes the idea of swapping over to the Indian & back to the Harley for me it works well I do get the pleasure of both & its not the same old thing all the time

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My other ride is a 2013 Harley triglide I like both bikes the idea of swapping over to the Indian & back to the Harley for me it works well I do get the pleasure of both & its not the same old thing all the time
I might make one exception, if I could keep my Indian and could afford to own another ride it might be a V8 trike, trikes are nice for grocery shopping if you have at least 6 cubic foot of trunk space.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Road smith also does trike conversions for Indians. I had a goldwing from them in daytona when it was called ultimate trike. I think they still use trike shop name. Nice independent rear end back about 8 or 9 inches. Look at their web site. Nice folks but these things are real expensive. Tried to attach picture of their new road master trike... No luck but look at their web site.

·
Registered
166 Posts
20141024_073106_resized.jpg

Saw this trike at the First Inaugural Indian Motorcycle Group ride in Nashville.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts