Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I stopped at my dealership to try and get an update on a shipping date for my new Chieftain. Their computer tells them 'TBD' (to be determined). This is what Indian/Polaris industries is telling the dealerships. Asked dealer as well if they have heard anything about production delays due to QC issue. They knew nothing about it.

So...me being me and occasionally liking to stir the pot, send Indian a message over their facebook site. They asked for some basic information and below is the reply I got from them.
<div class='WordSection1'>

<em>Keith,</em>

<em>Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle with your questions on a delivery date of your ordered Indian Motorcycle. We appreciate hearing from all of our consumers.</em>

<em>With the recent release of the new 2014 Indian Motorcycles, we are experiencing an overwhelming global demand. To ensure we are meeting the expectations of our consumers, Indian Motorcycle is applying unprecedented quality assessments on the motorcycles coming off of the production line. As a result of this thorough inspection process, we came across a refinement issue that we are choosing to address prior to any shipment.</em>

<em>Polaris Industries is proud of the new chapter of our family in Indian Motorcycle. We are delivering Polaris confidence and quality and will not ship until all bikes meet Indian Motorcycle consumer expectation.</em>

<em>Indian Motorcycle will start shipping motorcycles in the month of September. Once shipment is confirmed your dealer will be notified. The dealership will contact you with a date of when your bike is available. Your dealership will be your best resource for the specific dates of your bike.</em>

<em>We appreciate your patience and understanding as we know you are eagerly awaiting the arrival of your new motorcycle.</em>

<em>Respectfully,</em>

<em>Consumer Services</em>
<em>Indian Motorcycle </em>

</div>
I replied back to CS thanking them for their reply but also told them the lack of communication between Polaris Industries/Indian and their dealer network is irritating the consumer with a lack of answers and information. If they would simply tell the dealers...we have a minor QC isssue and production is delayed by ___ weeks, I would be OK with it. I shouldnt have to bypass my dealer to get to this. I actually feel sorry for the dealerships where with a few minutes of my time I am able to get more information than they get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like Indian is better at communicating than Victory but I beleive they will both improve over the next year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
699 said:
Two days ago I stopped at my dealership to try and get an update on a shipping date for my new Chieftain. Their computer tells them 'TBD' (to be determined). This is what Indian/Polaris industries is telling the dealerships. Asked dealer as well if they have heard anything about production delays due to QC issue. They knew nothing about it.

So...me being me and occasionally liking to stir the pot, send Indian a message over their facebook site. They asked for some basic information and below is the reply I got from them.

<em>Keith,</em>

<em>Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle with your questions on a delivery date of your ordered Indian Motorcycle. We appreciate hearing from all of our consumers.</em>

<em>With the recent release of the new 2014 Indian Motorcycles, we are experiencing an overwhelming global demand. To ensure we are meeting the expectations of our consumers, Indian Motorcycle is applying unprecedented quality assessments on the motorcycles coming off of the production line. As a result of this thorough inspection process, we came across a refinement issue that we are choosing to address prior to any shipment.</em>

<em>Polaris Industries is proud of the new chapter of our family in Indian Motorcycle. We are delivering Polaris confidence and quality and will not ship until all bikes meet Indian Motorcycle consumer expectation.</em>

<em>Indian Motorcycle will start shipping motorcycles in the month of September. Once shipment is confirmed your dealer will be notified. The dealership will contact you with a date of when your bike is available. Your dealership will be your best resource for the specific dates of your bike.</em>

<em>We appreciate your patience and understanding as we know you are eagerly awaiting the arrival of your new motorcycle.</em>

<em>Respectfully,</em>

</div>
I replied back to CS thanking them for their reply but also told them the lack of communication between Polaris Industries/Indian and their dealer network is irritating the consumer with a lack of answers and information. If they would simply tell the dealers...we have a minor QC isssue and production is delayed by ___ weeks, I would be OK with it. I shouldnt have to bypass my dealer to get to this. I actually feel sorry for the dealerships where with a few minutes of my time I am able to get more information than they get.
I got the same canned reply myself.
Polaris sure could learn a thing or two about Customer Relations.
I'm betting I won't need them anyway once my bike gets here and so far my Dealer seems pretty good so i'm looking forward to supporting them the best I can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3763 said:
Seems like Indian is better at communicating than Victory but I beleive they will both improve over the next year.
Not by a long shot.
Tight lipped and no customer care at all, at least for now.
And i'm not talking about the Dealership, their hands are tied by what Polaris tells them, or not tells them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe they realized that some of the bikes had orange peel and they are fixing the paint. Or maybe it's something else...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told by the Demo reps in madison that they were redoing the lighting on the multifuntion dispay because you couldn't see it with the sunlight shineing on it and that they were going to redisign the feel of the radio handlebar controls. They were hard to use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
18880 said:
I was told by the Demo reps in madison that they were redoing the lighting on the multifuntion dispay because you couldn't see it with the sunlight shineing on it and that they were going to redisign the feel of the radio handlebar controls. They were hard to use.
Interesting. See my review from August 18th. http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/20940/my-day-at-a-demo-event-my-review-of-the-2014-indians/

The bad:

The information screen is unreadable in the bright light with sunglasses on (not polarized). When only backlit in daylight the information is thin and red. When direct sunlight hits the screen the information turns white and intensifies. This seems to be a transflective LCD screen which is great in direct sunlight but because it relies on front facing light (no back lighting) it is problematic at best when it’s bright but not direct light. To make things worse it’s shrouded to prevent direct sunlight so unless you are riding West in the morning and East in the evening to keep the sun at your back you’re SOL if you need info off this screen.

I’m not a fan of the soft touch control panels found on many products these days and the infotainment system controls here are no exception. They are vague, give you no indication of whether you have pushed them far enough to actuate them. I like positive controls that will project a physical click when actuated. I didn’t like the controls on the XC either and these are no improvement.
Replacing hundreds of screens and controls is a lot to expect for a QC hold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wrote Indian a message on their facebook page, but got a phone call from their customer service rep instead of a canned email... Granted, everything you got in your canned response was what I was told as verbally. The gentleman who called was very nice. He told me that they expected this to set things back about 2 weeks, but they did still expect to begin shipping in September... That could mean the 31st of September, but if that means 1 less recall or something I would have to deal with right out of the gate, I am okay with this delay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH! I was also told that the very first things that were going to ship from factory would be 2 display bikes to each dealership (~40 dealerships), THEN they would begin shipping pre-orders. I kind of wish my deposit put me ahead of the dealers, but I guess they did put up more cash than I did. That's only 80ish bikes, which is less than 1 weeks worth of production according to the customer service rep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am just curious that Polaris didn't know you can't read the screens. Surely they logged thousands of miles on the test bikes before going to production. That would just be the Chieftan right?

Are there other bikes that have touch screens?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know all you guys that ordered an Indian cant wait for them, and i don't blame you. But do you remember when Harley had their big come back in the early 90s, Some people waited almost a year to get the bikes they ordered and paid a premium for them. So waiting a couple or even three months seems reasonable to me. Just Saying

Good luck, hope you do get them sooner than later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It just means that my Cross Country is going to have a few more miles on it when my vintage arrives. That ain't all bad!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
18515 said:
OH! I was also told that the very first things that were going to ship from factory would be 2 display bikes to each dealership (~40 dealerships), THEN they would begin shipping pre-orders. I kind of wish my deposit put me ahead of the dealers, but I guess they did put up more cash than I did. That's only 80ish bikes, which is less than 1 weeks worth of production according to the customer service rep.
Wait....what's that you say? 'DISPLAY BIKES'?
Shut the front door!
What a GREAT IDEA!.....now I wonder who would have had that idea? Hmmmmm.......

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/21360/5-weeks-later-still-no-bikes/
(...of course with full credit to guys like MJW who also was questioning this idiotic decision along with me weeks ago)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wish the people Well who are waiting for their Rides .. Glad I decided to wait now although I think when they do start getting delivered will have plenty of happy people ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
699 said:

<em>Keith,</em>

<em>Respectfully,</em>

</div>

It appears they failed to mention that the Fly N Ride buyers will have priority over the pre-orders. Polaris is NOT sending bikes out on a first come-first served basis. This is from a conversation a poster on another board had directly with Indian. Display bikes > Fly N Ride > everyone else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
18515 said:
That's only 80ish bikes, which is less than 1 weeks worth of production according to the customer service rep.
So, they can/will build 100 bikes/week? Assuming the first 1901 bikes have already been sold, that would put the last of those delivered 5 months from now?? Glad I'm not ordering one. I have no patience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10966 said:
So, they can/will build 100 bikes/week? Assuming the first 1901 bikes have already been sold, that would put the last of those delivered 5 months from now?? Glad I'm not ordering one. I have no patience.

I think it is 100 bikes per day, not per week. That is per shift and they can add more shifts if they choose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
19016 said:
I think it is 100 bikes per day, not per week. That is per shift and they can add more shifts if they choose.
I've been to the factory and unless they've made major improvements to their assembly line, there is no way they can produce 100 motorcycles per 8 hour shift.

Every bike has to be dyno tested and that takes at least 6 minutes per motorcycle. (My guess is that it takes more than 10 minutes per motorcycle)
I watched the guy do it and should have timed him.

Anyone who took the tour this year should remember how long and how many steps it took to dyno test the bikes.
They do an electronics/lighting test at the same time.

Maybe Polaris has added a second dyno testing machine over the last year, I don't know because I didn't go this year.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts