Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I think it is a damn shame that Indian in its comeback attempt could,nt get it right. I have my bike for about two weeks here in Florida and it is already showing the sign of fading. Then on top of it all They are going to chargwe you to fix there mistake "not Good"

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is a damn shame that Indian in its comeback attempt could,nt get it right. I have my bike for about two weeks here in Florida and it is already showing the sign of fading. Then on top of it all They are going to chargwe you to fix there mistake "not Good"
Got any photos of the fading?

Also, what part of FL are you in?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't see why we have to re dye our leather. The dealer should do it for us. I live in a condo and don't really want to be taking my seat apart in a garage. If it's a known problem, Indian should do it!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Pictures of the "fading" would be nice. To me I want my leather to age and look like a worn in pair of boots. So I'm curious to see this fading that y'all speak of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WARNING! WARNING! I received my leather care kit and decided to use it over the weekend. We my wife and I watched the video 3 times and read the instructions until we could recite them word for word. The first and second steps went very well and everything looked very good. THEN____ after letting it dry over night we started to add the sealer. STOP don't do it. Everything went to hell in a hand basket. The sealer smeared the die instantly and the more we tried to spread it evenly the worse it got. I don't wish this on anybody so heed my words DON'T DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jose, link doesn't work.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I just dyed my Vintage leather and couldn't be happier.

Let me start telling you that when I took delivery of my bike the Indian dealer gave me a small tub of wax to treat the leather. I got home and thoroughly coated all the leather with the wax. After about four months I noticed that my leather was fading, somewhat unevenly. After quite a bit of research I decided that I needed to strip the wax off the leather, dye it, then re-wax it.

I visited the local Fiebing (dye) distributor and had a chat to the manager, who gave me a heap of good information.

I started the process by using Fiebing's Deglazer to strip the wax off the leather, and clean off any dirt and marks. It was important to make sure the leather was really clean so that the dye would then penetrate evenly.

Immediately after cleaning the leather, while it was still a bit damp from the Deglazer, I applied my first coat of dye. I wanted a reasonably dark tan, not only because I like the look of a darker colour, but also to make my bike stand out from other bikes, so I ended up applying 4 coats of dye to the seat, and 2 coats of dye to the bags. This resulted in the seat and the bags being pretty well the same colour with very little variation. I waited a few hours to allow the dye to completely dry, and then applied a coating of the wax that the Indian dealer had given me when I bought the bike.

Unlike the problem that some others seem to have had when applying the sealer, the wax went on quite easily and did not interfere with the dye at all. I left the wax for 24 hours to allow it to soak into the leather, and then used a clean cloth to remove any excess. On my first ride after applying the wax, I sat an old towel on the seat just to pick up any dye/wax that may have stained my clothing.

I am more than happy with the end result, and a couple of friends have said that the dark tan looks better than the lighter coloured tan, when the bike was delivered.

I intend to apply a fresh coat of wax every other month to maintain the appearance that I have achieved.

I hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just dyed my Vintage leather and couldn't be happier.

Let me start telling you that when I took delivery of my bike the Indian dealer gave me a small tub of wax to treat the leather. I got home and thoroughly coated all the leather with the wax. After about four months I noticed that my leather was fading, somewhat unevenly. After quite a bit of research I decided that I needed to strip the wax off the leather, dye it, then re-wax it.

I visited the local Fiebing (dye) distributor and had a chat to the manager, who gave me a heap of good information.

I started the process by using Fiebing's Deglazer to strip the wax off the leather, and clean off any dirt and marks. It was important to make sure the leather was really clean so that the dye would then penetrate evenly.

Immediately after cleaning the leather, while it was still a bit damp from the Deglazer, I applied my first coat of dye. I wanted a reasonably dark tan, not only because I like the look of a darker colour, but also to make my bike stand out from other bikes, so I ended up applying 4 coats of dye to the seat, and 2 coats of dye to the bags. This resulted in the seat and the bags being pretty well the same colour with very little variation. I waited a few hours to allow the dye to completely dry, and then applied a coating of the wax that the Indian dealer had given me when I bought the bike.

Unlike the problem that some others seem to have had when applying the sealer, the wax went on quite easily and did not interfere with the dye at all. I left the wax for 24 hours to allow it to soak into the leather, and then used a clean cloth to remove any excess. On my first ride after applying the wax, I sat an old towel on the seat just to pick up any dye/wax that may have stained my clothing.

I am more than happy with the end result, and a couple of friends have said that the dark tan looks better than the lighter coloured tan, when the bike was delivered.

I intend to apply a fresh coat of wax every other month to maintain the appearance that I have achieved.

I hope this helps....
How has this held up in the year since you did it ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts