Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Indian Springfield
Thursday June 18th I had the Indian stage 2 cams installed. Not without hesitation mind you. I've scoured the forums for months reading more - than +. Prior setup was Rush true duals w/warhorse pipes 2.5" baffles, Indian hi-flo filer & stage 1 flash. So I rode over to Indian of Sturgis S.D. (Outstanding dealership) 113 miles & got the stage 2 cams & Indian flash. WOW! Improved the whole torque range drastically. Can smoke the tire easily in 1st with the flick of the wrist. Very minor pops on deceleration. No top end clatter. No low RPM stumble. No hesitation when I blip the throttle. Sound has improved. MPG has dropped a bit. All in all very impressed with what Indian of Sturgis did. My only dilemma is weather or not to get a PV3 from Fuel Moto. The bike really does run very strong!

·
Rider
724 Posts
mines getting installed this wed. at Sturgis of Indians sister store... going from stock straight to it...
Straight to Stage 2 without AC or pipe changes? That's great if that's the case. Most dealers won't do stage 2 without stage 1 already in place. I've got another thread indicating my upgrades / downgrades, and now I have stage 2 cams with a Craig B. tune via PVCX with stock AC and pipes and the bike runs, sounds, and looks great! You're going to like the cams, and I would really recommend the purchase of a PV3 and a tune from Craig.

·
Rider
1,041 Posts
2017 Indian Springfield
Thursday June 18th I had the Indian stage 2 cams installed. Not without hesitation mind you. I've scoured the forums for months reading more - than +. Prior setup was Rush true duals w/warhorse pipes 2.5" baffles, Indian hi-flo filer & stage 1 flash. So I rode over to Indian of Sturgis S.D. (Outstanding dealership) 113 miles & got the stage 2 cams & Indian flash. WOW! Improved the whole torque range drastically. Can smoke the tire easily in 1st with the flick of the wrist. Very minor pops on deceleration. No top end clatter. No low RPM stumble. No hesitation when I blip the throttle. Sound has improved. MPG has dropped a bit. All in all very impressed with what Indian of Sturgis did. My only dilemma is weather or not to get a PV3 from Fuel Moto. The bike really does run very strong!
Sturgis installed a number of Stage 2 pieces last Fall, including the Indian Stage 2 cams, ran very cool & strong, then 3 days later CraigB1960 sent his Stage 2 tune for my new PV3, that's when everything Sturgis did was optimized and the Thunder Stroke really made me smile, you won't regret that purchase!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sturgis installed a number of Stage 2 pieces last Fall, including the Indian Stage 2 cams, ran very cool & strong, then 3 days later CraigB1960 sent his Stage 2 tune for my new PV3, that's when everything Sturgis did was optimized and the Thunder Stroke really made me smile, you won't regret that purchase!
Great input, thanks. Sounds like it's a no brainer..

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
3,411 Posts
Straight to Stage 2 without AC or pipe changes? That's great if that's the case. Most dealers won't do stage 2 without stage 1 already in place. I've got another thread indicating my upgrades / downgrades, and now I have stage 2 cams with a Craig B. tune via PVCX with stock AC and pipes and the bike runs, sounds, and looks great! You're going to like the cams, and I would really recommend the purchase of a PV3 and a tune from Craig.
did you lose the lope at idle?

·
Rider
1,041 Posts
My 2016 Chieftain at idle sounds very muscular, serious chunky lope after its warmed up...it sounds great

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very good to hear. I'm ordering mine Wednesday. What's your full mod set up?

Reactions: Kost

·
Rider
1,041 Posts
Very good to hear. I'm ordering mine Wednesday. What's your full mod set up?
Very cool! Let us know how the CraigB1960 tune works on your Stage 2 Thunder Stroke, Fuel Moto and Craig do outstanding work!

·
Registered
80 Posts
2017 Indian Springfield
What was your MPG with the stage 1 setup and what is it now with stage 2.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What was your MPG with the stage 1 setup and what is it now with stage 2.
Had Lloyds 585 cams installed on my 19 Chieftain Limited at Coastal Indian in Myrtle Beach in late September. They also did a dyno tune on it. Before the cams/tune, my fuel gauge would read 300ish miles after filling the tank. Immediately after the cams/tune, the fuel gauge read 179 miles! The dyno really messed up the fuel range for a while. I’ve probably run 8 - 10 tanks through it since, and the fuel gauge now reads around 275 when I fill up, which seems about right. So, the cam upgrade resulted in around 25 less miles on a tank.

·
175 Posts
Great input, thanks. Sounds like it's a no brainer..
It is a no brainer!
I had stage 2 cams, intake, headers and pipes and Indian stage 2 tune installed in one sitting in my 2104 Chieftain. Two years later I bought a PV3 from fuel moto. I wish I had installed the PV3 at the same time I had the stage 2 work done.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
So the PV3 makes that much of a difference eh?
For a cam with the valve overlap of the stage 2 the factory tune is very lean for emissions. Adding a custom tune to the stage 2 not only corrects the AFR but also adjusts the timing to maximize what the new cams can do. Also with a CraigB tune you can set up a fast warmup idle and adjust throttle sensitivity if you are running one of the early Indians. The difference in the power and drivability is night and day. I doubt you will find anyone on this forum who would not agree. Dean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts