Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what would be louder. Indians stage 1 exhaust slipons with the cat delete OR tab zombie baffles with KEEPing the cat. ... Any ideas? Just figure I can buy the cat delete with my stage 1's that I already own or the zombie slipons and keep my cat ...

·
Registered
167 Posts
If being LOUD is your priority, I can’t offer much. Since you already own the Indian Stage1 pipes (Stage1Air too?) ...my opin is just do the TAB decat. Lose 8lbs, and get more flow & a deeper growl when you get on it. No it won’t be “Zombie LOUD” but I think your engine will like it more.
Your factory S1 pipes/baffles are prob very close to the back-pressure I have with TAB pipes & 1.75 baffs. My decat bike (w/S1Air) is smooth & strong that setup. Louder than stock & better perf,, without pissing off my neighbors & being heard 3 blocks away. My priority is Performance & a happy engine.
Cheers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If being LOUD is your priority, I can’t offer much. Since you already own the Indian Stage1 pipes (Stage1Air too?) ...my opin is just do the TAB decat. Lose 8lbs, and get more flow & a deeper growl when you get on it. No it won’t be “Zombie LOUD” but I think your engine will like it more.
Your factory S1 pipes/baffles are prob very close to the back-pressure I have with TAB pipes & 1.75 baffs. My decat bike (w/S1Air) is smooth & strong that setup. Louder than stock & better perf,, without pissing off my neighbors & being heard 3 blocks away. My priority is Performance & a happy engine.
Cheers.
I change the Zombie straight pipe for a 1.75 straight pipe,i throughout
Cheers.
I changed the Zombie’s baffles for a 1.75“straight pipe,i thought the loudness changed but they are damn to loud again,my question is it better to install 1.75” louvered baffle for reduce the loudness

·
Registered
3 Posts
I change the Zombie straight pipe for a 1.75 straight pipe,i throughout

I changed the Zombie’s baffles for a 1.75“straight pipe,i thought the loudness changed but they are damn to loud again,my question is it better to install 1.75” louvered baffle for reduce the loudness
Any type of louvers are going to help quiet the exhaust because the reflected sound waves coming off the metal surrounding the opening at the end of the muffler get sent into the louvers and into the mufler packing. Straight pipe they just bounce around and back out so they are sharper and louder sounding. Also removing the packing even with a louvered setup will make it sharper and louder. A bigger opening at the end means more noise as well and less backpressure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any type of louvers are going to help quiet the exhaust because the reflected sound waves coming off the metal surrounding the opening at the end of the muffler get sent into the louvers and into the mufler packing. Straight pipe they just bounce around and back out so they are sharper and louder sounding. Also removing the packing even with a louvered setup will make it sharper and louder. A bigger opening at the end means more noise as well and less backpressure.
Arcfiend602,Thanks for explain,i have used the Tab with the Zombie(straight pipe 2.5”)to loud,i thought i change them for 1.75” straight pipe but sounds again to loud,maybe install a hiflo 2.5” wrapped louvered baffle is the solution acc loudness and better performance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm curious what would be louder. Indians stage 1 exhaust slipons with the cat delete OR tab zombie baffles with KEEPing the cat. ... Any ideas? Just figure I can buy the cat delete with my stage 1's that I already own or the zombie slipons and keep my cat ...
Curious what you went with. I am looking at a challenge me and the wife really likes the stage one ovals sound, a bit too quite for me so I was thinking of adding a decat but curious how it sounds.

·
Rider
559 Posts
I’d be cautious about removing the cat. Same cycle happened with the 111’s everyone hunting for volume and the final consensus was that the factory engineers did a fine job engineering the system and removing it resulted in a performance loss to low and midrange. Tons of folks talked about how they experienced no loss, but the ones with dyno sheets to back it up almost always experienced a loss. I’d go with the loudest slip on I could find without messing with the cat (prob. TAB w/zombie baffles) until someone can prove a power gain with their header design in the riding range (low-mid RPM).my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
BV, you are right on. A Challenger minus the "cat" will result in lower HP and TQ at the low and mid RPM range. Maybe not at full throttle....but let's face it no one rides in that condition all day. I went with the cat delete, TAB zombies and the TAB torque cones and I can attest that the bike runs a little better. Brought back some low/mid range TQ that I lost with the cat delete and actually reduced a little bit of the problematic flat spot/hesitation at low throttle response. The engine has definitely been designed for MAX performance in STOCK configuration with the cat/resonator intact. I like my bike with a little bit more "noise" and am now pretty happy with my set up. But the new Lloydz tuner is something to think about.....waiting to hear from some more customers and positive results. Some before and after dyno reports would go a long way in seeing, feeling and believing in the "claimed" results here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BV, you are right on. A Challenger minus the "cat" will result in lower HP and TQ at the low and mid RPM range. Maybe not at full throttle....but let's face it no one rides in that condition all day. I went with the cat delete, TAB zombies and the TAB torque cones and I can attest that the bike runs a little better. Brought back some low/mid range TQ that I lost with the cat delete and actually reduced a little bit of the problematic flat spot/hesitation at low throttle response. The engine has definitely been designed for MAX performance in STOCK configuration with the cat/resonator intact. I like my bike with a little bit more "noise" and am now pretty happy with my set up. But the new Lloydz tuner is something to think about.....waiting to hear from some more customers and positive results. Some before and after dyno reports would go a long way in seeing, feeling and believing in the "claimed" results here.
Want to male sure I'm understanding you correctly:
Bone stock Challenger with the cat deleted will result in poor low and mid-range torque.
The delete, Zombies, and cones made the bike run better without sacrificing the low/mid range?

This is where I'm confused. I'm told Indian Stage 1 (intake, slip-ons) are fine BUT some have had trouble when removing the cat. I think Ridingfish from Youtube ran into something like this. With the cat gone and a fairly open exhaust there isn't enough backpressure and performance suffers. On the other hand I see plenty of videos of people removing the cat seemingly without issues.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Nice Guy, you WILL loose performance with the removal of the CAT/resonator, even on a stock bike. With performance "upgrades" (air box and a nice set of perf exhaust) the difference may not be that noticeable....but it's there. I can attest as my buddy has a BONE stock Challenger and he beats me every time, in every gear when we pull away from a stop sign/light....and he's a heavier (and older!) rider than me. In regards to the delete/zombies/torque cones, the low end is still a little soft, but mid range and upper RPM's the bike rips. Nothing that an aftermarket tuner can't address as you'll need more fuel to match with the more air and free-er flowing exhaust to maximize performance. The delete with tab zombies is farking loud....especially when you roll it on!! As always, type of fuel, riding conditions, atmospheric pressure, temp, etc, etc, all play into why some guys may experience less issues than others. Hope that helps!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,255 Posts
I had TAB slip-ons on my last bike but it was set-up for solo riding. Now that I have a Challenger I would like to take my wife along for rides whenever possible. I also like to hear the stereo but it will be important to be able to carry on a conversation with her when she's on the back seat. My 2020 Limited sounds good as is but I might go as far as Stage One slip-ons to be able to hear my engine a little bit more but that's about it.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
@reinie the guy that was with me at the last IMRG meeting has the Thunder Black Challenger with the Stage 1 slip ons. I've got the Rineharts. We can line all 3 bikes up to hear the difference between them all. I'm very happy with the Rineharts. Loud enough to know the bike is running but with a nice deep rumble that isn't too loud.

·
5,255 Posts
Well I do know for a fact that while the Rineharts are a bit pricier than other brands their reputation for quality is one of the best in the business. How do they compare price-wise to the Stage One slip-ons and where can I get them from?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
I got mine from a place in OH. Moziac Racing was the company. They were $100 cheaper than anyone else. I think those were cheaper than the stage ones. They look great too.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think the dealership can get them too. Might want to give Gar a call and see what he can do.

·
5,255 Posts
Well now I cannot afford them as I had a fender bender on the way home from IOT in Perrysburg. A driver panic stopped in front of the driver ahead of me during rush hour traffic around 4:00 PM or so. I was only doing maybe 15 mph when it happened with 2 car lengths or more space ahead of me but it happened so quickly I couldn't get to a complete stop in time. The fender tip was bent down against the tire and the bike actually tipped onto the crash bars as my feet were both up while I was standing on the ABS brakes. A driver behind me helped pick it up and back on the kickstand while the lady in the SUV I hit in the bumper got out to see if I was ok. I asked her if she had anything like a crowbar to pry up the fender off the front tire and she came back with a ball peen hammer which I used the handle to pry up my fender. After I got it pried enough I rode home. This morning Gar helped me order a new matching paint color front fender and a new warbonnet ornament to go on it. Total cost just over $900.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
Oh my, not on the new bike! Glad you're OK! Did you get any pics? Have to file a report or anything?

·
5,255 Posts
No as I didn't want to be charged with assured clear distance and get two points on my driving record as well as about $150 in fine plus court costs. But that's not all. When I arrived home the first thing my wife said when she came out of the house to look at my Challenger was "Where is your license plate?". It turns out that Gar somehow neglected to swap the license plate from the Scout to the new bike. My potential trouble with the law could've doubled. Luckily there also were no cops encountered on the way home either. In a way that kind of makes the 900 or so bucks seem a little cheaper. In some respects I lucked out in spite of the boo-boo on my front fender. I was unharmed and the bike is pretty much otherwise completely undamaged outside of a small scratch in the chrome of the left front crash bar. It's down on the underside where it cannot be easily seen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
@reinie Sorry to here about that. My brand new Challenger just got me a $2000+ check coming my way after a lady backed into me at a stop sign. She was making room for a semi going through the intersection but didn't pause to look, just came straight back. All it did was chip up the paint a little on my front fender and then like you my highway bars got "damaged" from it falling over. I honestly don't know if I'm even going to fix any of it or just buy more stuff for the bike lol.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
131 Posts
I had a little more of an issue coming home the other day...exiting off a highway with a car in front, I glanced to the left as i entered the merge lane to see if it was clear and the girl in front of me decided to come to a complete stop in the merge lane even though there was not another car in sight...by the time I looked back it was to late. Haven't got the estimate back yet but I know its not gonna be cheap. My cheapo rear bag guards from Amazon held up great keeping the left bag off the ground, the IMC highway bar up front folded like a cheap suit. Just a bruised knee, one finger and a big bruised ego

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Yikes, Dan!! Close call. Bikes and egos can be fixed, some body parts, as you get older, can not. I know exactly the situation you are talking about. Have had a LOT of close calls over my 50 years of driving/riding. Perhaps some drivers think an exit on ramp merge sign means STOP. And yet, those are the same drivers who "roll" through or don't even stop at a STOP sign. I hate riding anywhere within 100 yards of anything with 4 or more wheels. While your front crash bar did fold on you, that might have been the designed intent....to absorb most of the blow and protect more of you and your bike. So long as there is no frame damage, you should be good for an easy repair, though it looks like your fairing has been put through a meat grinder!! Thnx for sharing!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts