Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
199 Posts
My dealer had a stage 1 oval filter in stock part# 5415825 so I bought it . Paid $75 + tax.
At my 35K oil change I again cleaned out the bugs and loose dirt by tapping and compressed air like always, but since I now have a spare filter I decided to fill a wash pan with very soapy water and swirl the filter around in the pan for a few minutes. Rinsed it off with the garden hose. The filter came out of it's bath almost spotless and looking like new. The paper element still intact and solidly attached to the molded rubber. Let it drain and again used compressed air to help it along the drying process, then reinstalled it on the bike.
They are washable and reusable. Hope this helps

·
Rider
1,279 Posts
My dealer had a stage 1 oval filter in stock part# 5415825 so I bought it . Paid $75 + tax.
At my 35K oil change I again cleaned out the bugs and loose dirt by tapping and compressed air like always, but since I now have a spare filter I decided to fill a wash pan with very soapy water and swirl the filter around in the pan for a few minutes. Rinsed it off with the garden hose. The filter came out of it's bath almost spotless and looking like new. The paper element still intact and solidly attached to the molded rubber. Let it drain and again used compressed air to help it along the drying process, then reinstalled it on the bike.
They are washable and reusable. Hope this helps
Thanks for actually cleaning it and proving out that it cleans well.
Ive heard so many times that it can be cleaned, it cant be cleaned.
Back and fourth. Back and fourth nobody seemed to be sure.
Really good to see your post.
I have a spare on shelf but will try cleaning in dawn and simple green then rinse well.
Closer examination it looks like a fiber but not paper fiber.
Very cool.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The oval filter is spec'd to be changed out every 10k miles. At my 10k service I purchased a new one and had them keep the old one to give back to me. That way I don't have to wait for it to dry out. They wash out fine but give them a few days to totally dry out.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts