Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a replacement filter element available for the OEM stage 1 air filter? The product description on Indians web site states the element is not washable. They give a part number for a replacement element but searching on their site by part number returns a part number not found message. $520.00 is a lot of money to spend on a non serviceable air filter.

I know some of you have these installed. What are you doing to maintain this filter. It’s a paper element as far as I can tell.
Just ordered one from my dealer, they had it in stock and free shipping

·
Registered
508 Posts
The oval stage 1 on my 16RM was washable. I've got the oval stage 1 on my 20RM. I just opened it up and it's the same material I had on my 16RM oval. It isn't a paper filter. It's more like a material of some sort.

·
Rider
1,279 Posts
Jim although I would agree that its not paper. It is some sort of fiber but not sure if it will clean properly.
We have a new element sitting on the shelf and I guess when its time. Could try cleaning it in some dish detergent and let it air dry and see how it goes.
No oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's the same material I had before on the 16. Dealer tech said it was washable, which I did several times with simple green (what he recommended). Next time I get into the dealer (might be awhile as VA is in lock down mode) I'll ask the tech again for this but I'm 99% sure it's washable.

·
Bronze member
1,636 Posts
The round S1 filter is completely washable. Do mine every year at a minimum, or at oil change if I've been riding in a lot of dust, gravel, etc. Use standard dish soap and water to clean and then I blow it out with air and wait for it to dry before re-installing. Usually overnight works. If you have experience with K&N washable filters, it's the same thing, but you don't need to apply the oil to the filter after the wash.

·
Rider
1,279 Posts
For me im done with K&N type.
i had one in my Victory Hammer and my Cam Am Quad but after seeing the dusty oily dirt in the airbox on the quad after a dusty ride that was enough for me.
Its a nice concept but not practical for good engine life.
Juat sayin

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've had vehicles use oil that usually don't using K&Ns. I don't doubt their quality of their products but if I add me into the mix as the one that has to clean and oil, fahgetaboutit. I much prefer washing the filters with Simple Green and letting them air dry.

·
Rider
1,279 Posts
Regardless of what anybody says to me about quality. When I see that fine dust stuck on insides of airbox the quality goes out the window with me.
Further we even had an outside sleeve (outters) over the complete filter and the dirt we seen was unbelievable.
I didnt see any of this on my Victory street bike because street riding is way cleaner.

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
The OEM sure likes to keep us guessing. I just checked and they call the "old" round high flow filetr and the "new" oval unit Stage 1.
Thunder Stroke High Flow Air Intake with Stage 1 Calibration Item # 2880654-156
Thunder Stroke Stage 1 Performance Air Intake Item # 2881779-156

Like some others, I've contacted K&N and asked them to produce a replacement filter for the oval unit. So far... zilch.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Regardless of what anybody says to me about quality. When I see that fine dust stuck on insides of airbox the quality goes out the window with me.
Further we even had an outside sleeve (outters) over the complete filter and the dirt we seen was unbelievable.
I didnt see any of this on my Victory street bike because street riding is way cleaner.
I’m starting to wonder if K&N has made some type of agreement with Indian not to produce a filter for their performance air cleaner housing. Hard to believe they would choose to not make a filter when there is such a market for it and so many (including myself) have personally requested one from them. K&N made one for the stock air cleaner cover and it’s been out for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
For me im done with K&N type.
i had one in my Victory Hammer and my Cam Am Quad but after seeing the dusty oily dirt in the airbox on the quad after a dusty ride that was enough for me.
Its a nice concept but not practical for good engine life.
Juat sayin
The trick when using the K&N filters is how much oil to use. It’s very easy to put too much on the filter. But probably like yourself and others I would prefer using a filter that doesn’t require oiling. It’s a hassle to do and it’s hard to tell exactly how much oil to use even though the instructions tell you how.

·
Rider
1,279 Posts
I hear what yer saying but no I dont think so
Have been using them for quite some time and the oil is what keeps the particles sticking and not get thru.
Actually over oiling wont allow more dirt in it will however impede the air flow which is its purpose.

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
If you apply too much oil to a K&N filter it will temporarily restrict air flow, compared to the air flow that it would deliver with the optimum amount of oil. But the excess oil will ultimately be sucked into the engine and burned without harming anything.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Wow, $64 for an air filter element that has to be replaced? That’s the price of a reusable filter.

·
Rider
815 Posts
Wow, $64 for an air filter element that has to be replaced? That’s the price of a reusable filter.

Exactly why I bought the round air cleaner that states the element is washable. However, it won’t last forever and no telling how much they want for it’s replacement.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I wish Indian had another option. I like the oval one but it sticks out further on the edge and hits my leg when I ride. I don’t want the extra noise the open round one makes. The oval one from Indian also has a larger scoop on the backside that I think does a better job cooling the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I guess I'm going to try to get one (5415825) and have it on hand in case the washing of it causes issues. I really don't think so, though, as it looks identical to the one I had on my 16 which I did wash a couple of times without incident with Simple Green. Possibly Indian has backtracked on the washing due to something happening to it during the wash cycle that got reported to them.

·
199 Posts
VirginiaJim Please post back after you wash your filter with the results. The oval filters are not only expensive but hard to find and mine should be rep[laced.
Thanks

21 - 40 of 50 Posts