Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a replacement filter element available for the OEM stage 1 air filter? The product description on Indians web site states the element is not washable. They give a part number for a replacement element but searching on their site by part number returns a part number not found message. $520.00 is a lot of money to spend on a non serviceable air filter.

I know some of you have these installed. What are you doing to maintain this filter. It’s a paper element as far as I can tell.

·
Rider
461 Posts
The oval one has a paper filter and the round one has a washable filter.

·
Rider
461 Posts
From my understanding the round high flow one was the original stage 1 and then they came out with the oval one. I am in the process of buying a new bike now and hope to finalize the deal Saturday and plan on getting the round one with the 116 big bore kit because of the paper filter issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a replacement filter element available for the OEM stage 1 air filter? The product description on Indians web site states the element is not washable. They give a part number for a replacement element but searching on their site by part number returns a part number not found message. $520.00 is a lot of money to spend on a non serviceable air filter.

I know some of you have these installed. What are you doing to maintain this filter. It’s a paper element as far as I can tell.
Actually the filter element is not actually paper but a synthetic media. There seems to be some discrepancy as to wether you can clean this or not. I know people who have washed this with a little simple green and rinsed and made out well.

The filter is nicely made with a large filter surface, I got mine last year from cycle parts nation on sale shipped for $424, but most places are now charging tax.

I personally don’t think there is much to be gained power wise by changing the air filter, even Indian states 3hp gain after flash. I really changed it for the looks.

Hope this helps

·
Rider
536 Posts
Some dealers are now stocking the filter for the oval stage one. I called mine and they have two on the shelf. Indian finally updated the website description to state that the filter needs to be replaced at regular intervals, and they give the part number for it - “The filter should be replaced at the intervals specified in the Periodic Maintenance Table listed in your Rider's Manual. Replacement filter sold separately (5415825). Do not wash the filter.” Though they state that the filter is synthetic, I’m hard pressed to be able to tell any difference.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some dealers are now stocking the filter for the oval stage one. I called mine and they have two on the shelf. Indian finally updated the website description to state that the filter needs to be replaced at regular intervals, and they give the part number for it - “The filter should be replaced at the intervals specified in the Periodic Maintenance Table listed in your Rider's Manual. Replacement filter sold separately (5415825). Do not wash the filter.” Though they state that the filter is synthetic, I’m hard pressed to be able to tell any difference.

Read the OP. Go and search that part number on Indians website. The part cannot be found.

·
Rider
461 Posts
I can only find a K and N to fit the stock bedpan style air cleaner.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Some of us on the forum have sent emails to K&N asking them to start making a replacement for the Stage 1 "High Performance" Indian air cleaner and they give a canned response. That said, I suggest anyone who is interested email them with the same request. I suspect once there are enough of us out there with this air cleaner they might end up making a replacement filter for this style. Use [email protected] as the contact email and give them as much information about your request as possible. You need to make it clear that this is the Stage 1 High Performance air cleaner and I have gone as as far as giving them the Indian Item # 2881779-156 and a link to the page where it is offered: Thunder Stroke® Stage One Performance Air Intake | Indian Motorcycle

I use KN Filters in all of my vehicles and if there is enough support they may offer one...

·
Rider
567 Posts
I know this original post was a while ago but looking to find and put spare filter on shelf.
None to be had anywhere.
Can anyone and im pretty sure a few of us ordered this and found there was no replacement so what did the Dealer do for you? 519 bucks is a lot of money to use once and throw to the garbage
I am not happy to learn this.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Here's the replacement filter from Indian.

Of course, it isn't available. Going tomorrow for upgrades and originally planned to get the performance air cleaner. This thread and the reviews at Indian caused me to call and switch over to the high flow a/c.

·
Rider
567 Posts
Yeah i wonder how much bitching we have to do with the dealer?
I already own it and I feel ripped off.
How in hell do they pull such crap like this?

·
Rider
567 Posts
I just called Dealer and had told them what I have learned trying to source this filter element.
They said they didnt know why it said unavailable but should have said back order as they are due in stock by march 3rd.
I thought huh. She then said they have one in stock so I bought it to put on the shelf.
????
I didnt want to resort to the round high flo unit K&N type gause as they let dirt thru.
So im glad they are returning to stock and I will keep what I have.
Less noise from engine, less dirt.
I am good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, after reading this I'm certainly happy I bought the round Stage 1 air cleaner. The element is definitely washable in it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don’t understand. Ever since the”new”oval stage one high performance air cleaner came out I’ve read about the replacement filter element not being available. Indian are you reading this? What is the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts