Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driving lights on my 2017 Springfield both stopped working two days ago. The switch button light still illuminates red and green, but the lights don't come on. I took it to my local repair shop, and he says he can't fix it because there is a new diagnostic computer that he can't afford to buy. I asked him if maybe a fuse blew, but he says the same fuse feeds many circuits so it can't be that. Anyone else experience this problem? I don't have a service manual.

·
Registered
307 Posts
did you check the bulbs? I have replaced both of mine due to bulb failure . 1 screw and they come right out. I believe they are just a H4 bulb available at any auto parts store.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
The lights are fairly easy to remove from their housings. You could remove them and check if the lights themselves have blown at the same time, or if the problem is in the wiring. If it's wiring, I'd go looking for something close to the switch where it might have been rubbing against a metal part and worn through.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll check the bulbs. I just thought it strange that both would blow at the same time. I checked all the fuses, and they are all good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You might want to try your high beams a couple of times. The driving lights shut off when you turn on the high beams. Switch might be sticky or got some crud in it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brother Scum might be onto something. If your main headlight bulb's low beam fails, the bike will turn on the high beam, but at a lower voltage. This allows headlight function without blinding oncoming traffic until you can replace the bulb. You might not even realize that the low beam has failed. If that has happened on your bike, and Brother Scum is correct about the driving lights cutting out during high beam use, that could explain it. However, in that event, he bike would throw out an error code. Worth a look to check...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried turning on the high beams, but it had no effect on the driving lights. I will check the bulbs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both the low and high beams are working. I ordered some replacement bulbs. When they come in, I'll check the voltages when I have the housings apart. Thanks for your useful suggestions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks for the advice guys. The replacement bulbs came today so I opened up the housings. I measured 14v at each socket. Put in some Sylvania Xenons and they are both working and much brighter and bluer than before. I could have gone LED, but I wasn't sure where the problem was since both bulbs failed simultaneously, and I didn't want to introduce any more variables. These bulbs are so bright, I don't see any need for LEDs right now. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts