Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an Extended Reach Seat from eBay. The seat is in perfect condition except the Rubber Grommet - P/N: 5415489 and Plastic Rivet - P/N: 7661922 are damaged. Anyway, I ordered a new Grommet and Rivet from my dealer (not expensive - $5.00). Has anyone ever replaced these parts (please see image), if so, what is the level of effort. All comments and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

seat.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's very easy. Pull up the seat and do your fix. Seat comes up with little effort. I stuffed the grommet where it belongs this evening. I am not sure where the rivet goes, to be honest I didnt see one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I can see is that the rivet securely fastens the rubber grommet in place. Not sure if the plastic rivet is removable or not

Damaged:
seat_damaged_grommit.PNG

Undamaged:
seat_good_grommit.PNG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I solved my stupid post. I removed both the damaged grommet and rivet. Swapped the old grommet with the new one and then installed the new rivet. The following video helped me install the plastic rivet:

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Nice to know that the parts are not overly priced anyway ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started putting a small film of silicone grease on both the grommet and peg. It seems to help lubricate the grommet so that the metal peg doesn't tear it when your moving the seat on and off. Not sure if this helps you but may be something to consider. It could also be used for the little rubber boot over the clutch cable adjustment nut.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip...going to the garage to do it right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts