Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I may have caught the modding bug... I am quite capable of making/modifying anything on my Scout however I am at a loss as to what I am looking for as far as wheels. I am after a set of 18" thick spoked wheels however seem to be very limited by the "indian scout wheel" google search.

Is there anything specific I am looking for (axle size etc) or can I just get any 18x3.5 front wheel and any 18x4.5 rear?

HELP!!! (and thanks all in advance :p)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that there is someone out there selling a 18" front wheel for the Scout but I would not think that it
could be logically called and "UPGRADE" :confused::)
;)Depends on the build purpose I would think!
There seems to be a a few out there that are offering wheels for the scout yes, however the specific ones that I am after do not seem to specify Indian at all (all Harley fitments). If there are difference at all or do I just need to make sure that I have the right width? Do the axle size change at all?

·
Bronze member
2,121 Posts
The OP wants a specific wheel, can we just answer his question and leave the opinions home?

Gcollie3810, let me know what you find out, is like to know as well.
Agreed. I am interested in what wheel can fit on a scout. Hub, width, height etc.

When I search for indian scout wheel it's mostly stock or laced, or extremely expensive laced. I'm looking for something different than stock that will fit and not cost 1000 pesos for a set.

Also, I did see a fat spoked wheel that didn't require tube tires the other day. Didn't fit the Scout, just FYI.

·
Bronze member
4,306 Posts
An increasing number of spoked wheels are becoming available that do not require tubes, that is something in your favour.

You might do better approaching a bike modding workshop for up to date info on what wheels will fit. Sometimes people change out the forks as well for the sake of getting a wheel that fits for brake caliper location etc.

There was a major international competition last year for the best modded Victory Octane, which uses many of the same parts as the Scout. Chasing up the entries (they are out there somewhere) for that might give you some ideas of what the pro modders have used. My local store here in Aus got second prize as I recall. I saw their entry in the store and it was extraordinary. There is currently a modded Scout in the store foyer and I'll see if I can chase up a pic for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All! Some really good info here (and thank you for bringing it back on topic;)).

King Octane is similar to my second option from those links Dr.Shifty. Primarily what I am after is something like this...

All Black would be preferred, but I can modify and make these work.

·
Bronze member
2,121 Posts
Thanks All! Some really good info here (and thank you for bringing it back on topic;)).

King Octane is similar to my second option from those links Dr.Shifty. Primarily what I am after is something like this...

Those are nice. Do you know about the hubs and whether an adapter would be needed for various wheels? Can I throw any 16x3.5, or 3.0, or whatever and have it bolt up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are nice. Do you know about the hubs and whether an adapter would be needed for various wheels? Can I throw any 16x3.5, or 3.0, or whatever and have it bolt up?
This is what I am trying to find out...lol! Ultimately I would love this in gloss black to fit my scout, but I am not sure what is different wheel to wheel across manufacturers.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Higcollie
This is what I am trying to find out...lol! Ultimately I would love this in gloss black to fit my scout, but I am not sure what is different wheel to wheel across manufacturers.
Hey Gcollie.

I am new to this forum and saw your thread re larger diameter spoked wheels and am interested in doing the same thing.

I am based in Australia but have had email correspondence with Ridewright in the US re fat spoked wheels for my 2016 Scout. They tell me that they do them but they are a bit pricey, especially with the exchange rate for us here in Oz.

Did you find any more information on this yourself as I am interested like Chiefdano?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your best/easiest bet would be to get the hubs off the OE Indian laced wheels, then set about having those hubs relaced with spokes and rim of your choice. This would assure no issues with axle diamaters, spacing, having the rotor in the right spot, ect, ect.

Not saying you couldn't make some Harley or generic wheels work, but I've been down that road before. It turns into a mess of measurements, checking bearing sizes, axle dimensions, rotor offset, spacers, and figuring out custom spacers/adapters to get things correct. Can get really pricey to have custom adapters made if you do not have the provisions to make them yourself.

·
Bronze member
2,121 Posts
Your best/easiest bet would be to get the hubs off the OE Indian laced wheels, then set about having those hubs relaced with spokes and rim of your choice. This would assure no issues with axle diamaters, spacing, having the rotor in the right spot, ect, ect.

Not saying you couldn't make some Harley or generic wheels work, but I've been down that road before. It turns into a mess of measurements, checking bearing sizes, axle dimensions, rotor offset, spacers, and figuring out custom spacers/adapters to get things correct. Can get really pricey to have custom adapters made if you do not have the provisions to make them yourself.
If only these yokels would acknowledge there's life other than HD out there and make affordable wheels for other brands. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Higcollie

Hey Gcollie.

I am new to this forum and saw your thread re larger diameter spoked wheels and am interested in doing the same thing.

I am based in Australia but have had email correspondence with Ridewright in the US re fat spoked wheels for my 2016 Scout. They tell me that they do them but they are a bit pricey, especially with the exchange rate for us here in Oz.

Did you find any more information on this yourself as I am interested like Chiefdano?
Hi Mate, I'm in Australia as well and we seem to have followed basically the same path! I haven't been able to find anything of value apart from RAwarriors idea above and getting a set custom laced using the hubs from the Scouts 16 inch wheels.

Will keep this up to date if I ever see any progress on a thick spoke (for a reasonable price)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

So I may have caught the modding bug... I am quite capable of making/modifying anything on my Scout however I am at a loss as to what I am looking for as far as wheels. I am after a set of 18" thick spoked wheels however seem to be very limited by the "indian scout wheel" google search.

Is there anything specific I am looking for (axle size etc) or can I just get any 18x3.5 front wheel and any 18x4.5 rear?

HELP!!! (and thanks all in advance :p)
Why you don't ask bike custom shop? I am sure the bike customizers can help you in this!

·
Registered
743 Posts
No matter what wheel you choose,nobody wants to make a matching pulley. Hell,even Indian didn't make a matching pulley for the new wheels on the Scout Bobber

1 - 20 of 20 Posts