Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there just out of interest I would like to ask this question all do I am a very proud owner of a chief vintage I always liked the judge from victory (before indian came out) and I was at the indian/victory dealer and I had to sit on a judge I was really surprised how big a small bike can be because I am 190 cm/ 6" now my question is is the scout similar to the judge to get an idea. The plans to have scouts in adelaide australia are moved forward for unknown reasons, so I would really like to know before I make any plans

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Victory no question have a bigger feel about them than they look but none of them are really small Bikes the Scout Definitely is a Small Bike but Delivers in Power and Handling .. As a Victory Owner will just say if you really like the Judge, Go for it .. It's a Discontinued Model but most of the essential parts on all Victory's are the same .. The 106 Cubic inch Victory Engine is a Beast and with just a little bit of add ons can become a true force of power .. But if the Scout Really Floats your Boat .. Wait for it because it's going to be a while .. I am just one of the lucky Few that got one early ..

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What's the Judge? I don't see that model listed on the Victory web site.

o... now I see it's discontinued

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jayfl wonder whythe judge had just such a short life it is definitely not a ugly looking bike

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have to wonder if a new Judge is in the works with the Scout engine.
I doubt you'll ever see that motor in a Victory..

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hi there just out of interest I would like to ask this question all do I am a very proud owner of a chief vintage I always liked the judge from victory (before indian came out) and I was at the indian/victory dealer and I had to sit on a judge I was really surprised how big a small bike can be because I am 190 cm/ 6" now my question is is the scout similar to the judge to get an idea. The plans to have scouts in adelaide australia are moved forward for unknown reasons, so I would really like to know before I make any plans
I was initially on the fence between a Gunner and Scout. Working at the dealership, I had ample opportunity to ride the Gunner but had to wait for our demo event to ride the Scout. After taking the Scout out for a total of 90 miles, I knew I wanted the Scout. I'm 6'2"/35" inseam and the Scout with the extended reach seat fits nicely. The Gunner is a wonderful fit, but the Scout is the more playful bike, and that's what I wanted for my second bike. If it was my only bike, I think I'd lean to the Gunner, especially if two upping was a consideration. My .02

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rode Victories during the demo event last summer. The Judge was my favorite ride of the Victory models, but felt the Gunner and the Judge had the same performance and feel. They may have discontinued the Judge b/o similarity to the Gunner if sales on the Gunner were better than the Judge.

Having ridden the Scout, I prefer the outstanding performance of the Scout to any of the Victory models. I am 5'll" and felt the Scout was a good fit for my frame without any modifications. Depending on the length of your rides (Scout range 200km or so on the smaller tank) and whether you ride 2 up or not may be a factor in the decision.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I doubt you'll ever see that motor in a Victory..
Troop, I noticed in your signature that you have LED Headlight. Which one are you looking at?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was initially on the fence between a Gunner and Scout. Working at the dealership, I had ample opportunity to ride the Gunner but had to wait for our demo event to ride the Scout. After taking the Scout out for a total of 90 miles, I knew I wanted the Scout. I'm 6'2"/35" inseam and the Scout with the extended reach seat fits nicely. The Gunner is a wonderful fit, but the Scout is the more playful bike, and that's what I wanted for my second bike. If it was my only bike, I think I'd lean to the Gunner, especially if two upping was a consideration. My .02
Troop,
This says a lot in terms of a direct comparison. By the way, is the Scout's extended reach seat more padded and potentially more comfortable than the standard seat?
Lou

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey Troop! I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on the Gunner as a 2-up bike. Please. :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Troop! I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on the Gunner as a 2-up bike. Please. :)
My thoughts of the Gunner as a two-up bike were in comparison to the Scout. The Gunner will seat the passenger on a small pillion seat/bolt on passenger pegs not much different than the Scout. Versus the Scout, the Gunner will have a larger ergonomic layout, more low end torque and more weight for stability. I just think it fits better for two-up.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Troop,
This says a lot in terms of a direct comparison. By the way, is the Scout's extended reach seat more padded and potentially more comfortable than the standard seat?
Lou
Their is a nice, noticeable difference between the stock vs. extended reach seat. The Indian accessory specs say the extended reach seat does have thicker padding and it certainly looks like it does. I didn't look too closely on the bottom side to see if the pan was raised a bit more. Will try and do that tomorrow. The back/lumbar portion is raised over stock so you feel more in it than on it, and it also has the embossed Indian logo centered on the seat back. Pretty cool....

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Troop, I noticed in your signature that you have LED Headlight. Which one are you looking at?
I did a couple of things to get extra light. The first thing I did was buy an extra set of Scout front directional light mounts to mount some 3600Lm aux spotlights on the fork tubes above the directional lights. I had these lights on my KLR650 and they are BRIGHT. Certainly not DOT legal. I'll be running a separate relay direct to the battery with a handlebar mounted on/off switch. Lights are these. They are only 2" diameter and 2.25" long.
2X30W CREE LED Work Light Spot Lamp Driving Fog 12V Car 4x4 Motorcycle Boat ATV | eBay

I've read of great results with a direct plug-in LED headlight bulb in dual adventure bikes, so I took a chance and bought one for the Scout. Looking at the headlight bucket, I believe their is plenty of room for clearance BUT mine won't be installed until March when I bring my bike home. This is the headlight bulb..
2014 H4 HB2 9003 6000K 3000LUMEN CREE LED Bulb x1 Hi Low Beam Fit Headlight Lamp | eBay

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I did a couple of things to get extra light. The first thing I did was buy an extra set of Scout front directional light mounts to mount some 3600Lm aux spotlights on the fork tubes above the directional lights. I had these lights on my KLR650 and they are BRIGHT. Certainly not DOT legal. I'll be running a separate relay direct to the battery with a handlebar mounted on/off switch. Lights are these. They are only 2" diameter and 2.25" long.
2X30W CREE LED Work Light Spot Lamp Driving Fog 12V Car 4x4 Motorcycle Boat ATV | eBay

I've read of great results with a direct plug-in LED headlight bulb in dual adventure bikes, so I took a chance and bought one for the Scout. Looking at the headlight bucket, I believe their is plenty of room for clearance BUT mine won't be installed until March when I bring my bike home. This is the headlight bulb..
2014 H4 HB2 9003 6000K 3000LUMEN CREE LED Bulb x1 Hi Low Beam Fit Headlight Lamp | eBay
Aren't the light mounts a rubber material?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Aren't the light mounts a rubber material?
Yup, and the mount point is metal with a rubber coating. A socket cap screw fits on the inside to attach the light.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Troop,

Thanks! CREE makes a pretty good product and the heat dissipation looks like is handled by the stacked plates. I will investigate further and probably use it as I am an LED fan.

Reactions: SDBobbyt

·
Registered
558 Posts
My thoughts of the Gunner as a two-up bike were in comparison to the Scout. The Gunner will seat the passenger on a small pillion seat/bolt on passenger pegs not much different than the Scout. Versus the Scout, the Gunner will have a larger ergonomic layout, more low end torque and more weight for stability. I just think it fits better for two-up.
Troop, thanks for your comments. I'm weighing my options these days... To bad we didn't have more dealer participation out here on the forum, I think they are missing a prime opportunity to get in touch with the people that ride the stuff they are pushing. I know it's probably not a popular thing to do within the dealership network (to be out here) but I gotta tell ya it's been a treat having you answer questions and hearing your take on stuff. Thanks again!

·
Registered
430 Posts

This is awesome information. I was working on figuring out a good way to update the lighting. Going to have to wait til the bike gets here tho. Are you sure its an H4 bulb?

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is awesome information. I was working on figuring out a good way to update the lighting. Going to have to wait til the bike gets here tho. Are you sure its an H4 bulb?
The manual says it is an HB2. As you said, I will wait until the bike is in my hands before I order it. The killer of LEDs is heat and if the heat cannot be transferred it will kill the lamp and fry the wiring and everything else around it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts