Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 Springfield. It's a stock Thunderstroke 111. I got my "new-to-me" 2017 Scout inspected and on the road (for 50 miles) just today. I like riding them both, but they are so different. I have a windscreen on the Springfield and none on the Scout. So the wind, and weight difference are what I've noticed so far. And that the Thunderstroke lays down the power like a machine gun. Ra-ta-ta-ta-tat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you wrung out the scout? If you shift a scout like you shift the Springfield the scout will feel weak and uninspiring.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you wrung out the scout? If you shift a scout like you shift the Springfield the scout will feel weak and uninspiring.

I've heard the Scout delivers power up high RPMs. On the roads I was driving today, it was hard to open it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've heard the Scout delivers power up high RPMs. On the roads I was driving today, it was hard to open it up.
Yeah, 1st gear is long. The vibes don't let up as you climb the rpms. Coming from an online twin it's disconcerting. But you get used to it. If you keep the throttle pinned until the torque actually falls off you'll learn the engine loves it!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also have a Springfield, a 2019 that I bought a year ago. I love it for the power, looks, comfort and ride quality but it is heavy to push around for my 5 foot 2 inch, older lady self. I decided I wanted a second, smaller bike, used, to scoot around locally and that could ride on the occasional unpaved road that we might encounter here in the countryside. I test rode a couple: HD Street 500 (awful), Kawi Vulcan S Cafe 650 (very nice and powerful) and a Honda Rebel 300 that my local Indian dealer had (too little power but very fun little bike) and also made the "mistake" of testing a used 2018 Scout Bobber that my dealer had sitting there. That was it. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. So light weight and nimble and it runs like a scalded cat. It was amazing and silky smooth with that lovely v-twin rumble. (V&H Grenades) It was more than I wanted to pay but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I went back a few hours later and sealed the deal.

The Scout Bobber will be for short trips around the area as the seat sucks and the suspension is harsh. I will have to watch my wrist so I don't get a speeding ticket because the power and speed are very addictive. Here are pics of my first love and my new baby.
93836871_3091111174275030_164004481543962624_o.jpg
103127704_3020835917997061_5864279900418452138_n.jpg

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I went from a Scout to a Springfield DH. My problem with the Scout was the short travel rear suspension, which on our rough local roads was going to do me some spine damage.

The Scout loves to rev and it's unrelenting when you light it up. It surprised a lot of my riding mates when I got it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too like two flavours of riding. Have a 2016 Chieftain Dark Horse, and a new 2020 Scout. Two rides cover all my styles. Big Grin.....

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have a Springfield, a 2019 that I bought a year ago. I love it for the power, looks, comfort and ride quality but it is heavy to push around for my 5 foot 2 inch, older lady self. I decided I wanted a second, smaller bike, used, to scoot around locally and that could ride on the occasional unpaved road that we might encounter here in the countryside. I test rode a couple: HD Street 500 (awful), Kawi Vulcan S Cafe 650 (very nice and powerful) and a Honda Rebel 300 that my local Indian dealer had (too little power but very fun little bike) and also made the "mistake" of testing a used 2018 Scout Bobber that my dealer had sitting there. That was it. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. So light weight and nimble and it runs like a scalded cat. It was amazing and silky smooth with that lovely v-twin rumble. (V&H Grenades) It was more than I wanted to pay but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I went back a few hours later and sealed the deal.

The Scout Bobber will be for short trips around the area as the seat sucks and the suspension is harsh. I will have to watch my wrist so I don't get a speeding ticket because the power and speed are very addictive. Here are pics of my first love and my new baby. View attachment 592886 View attachment 592887
Awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts