Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indian Scout back after a 70-year absence - Motoring - NZ Herald News cameramanx thanks

According to this article he was not impressed with wet weather performance on the Scouts tyres , has anyone else found this to be true ?

What if any sized tyres would you replace the Tyres with .

As the original tyres have the Indian moniker on them it may be worthwhile saving them for the resale time .

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well... Well... Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I don't think anybody other than the press corp has had a chance to ride the bike longer than a few short demo rides and that is the first article I've seen that mentioned problems with wet surface riding. You can bet we're all about to get a lesson in the next few months with the Scout and rain. I'll be interested in hearing more about this.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Saw a few squirrely take offs this morning in Long Beach on the wet pavement. Chalked it up to riders on the bikes hotrodding. When I rode the Scout, I did notice the tires were not up to what my M880s felt like. The rubber did break easily and my older Indians are heavier and sitting around the same horsepower. Roads were dry outside the parking lot by the time I hit my test ride

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Indian Scout back after a 70-year absence - Motoring - NZ Herald News cameramanx thanks

According to this article he was not impressed with wet weather performance on the Scouts tyres , has anyone else found this to be true ?

What if any sized tyres would you replace the Tyres with .

As the original tyres have the Indian moniker on them it may be worthwhile saving them for the resale time .
a) There is no "y" in tires installed on any murdersickle made in Spirit Lake Iowa, Lock'nLoad. Tyres are slippery; tires are not.

b) Our fearless correspondent does not say who made the tires he doesn't like. I read somewhere that Kenda supplies the branded tires which Indian uses on their Scout. I don't vouch for the truth of that; cause, you know what Honest Abe Lincoln once said: 'The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.' (source: the Internet) I have used Kenda tires several times on my KLR. They get good mileage. There is no doubt Kenda big block knobbies wear longer and work every bit as good up a dirt road to a camp site as Metzeler Marathons, and cost a scant half the price. But there is a reason they are half the price and last longer: they are not as sticky on a wet road. That's your trade-off. Works for me cause I don't push it. Peg scrapers will want something else.

c) If you store your OEM tires several years, then re-install them when you go to sell the bike, they will have become that much less sticky over time. You are booby trapping the next owner. "Here, pay me more for stale hardened branded tires." I'd say use them up, then go score whatever Michelins, Bridgestones, Metzelers etc. which the forums agree work best.

Gawd, I wish I was a Kiwi. What a beautiful pair of islands.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I think every tire I've ever had broke loose on wet pavement. Add more torque and it doesn't help the situation. It was wet pavement on my first test ride on the Chieftain, it broke loose. More unexpected because it had more torque than my H-D, but not because I thought the tire was slippery. Hell - My Chieftain will smoke the rear tire on dry cement or tar like nothing compared to my H-D and they had Dunlops. I wonder if it isn't the bike sometimes. I remember seeing Kenda on the Scout and thinking $heeit. But I thought they looked nice.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think every tire I've ever had broke loose on wet pavement. Add more torque and it doesn't help the situation. It was wet pavement on my first test ride on the Chieftain, it broke loose. More unexpected because it had more torque than my H-D, but not because I thought the tire was slippery. Hell - My Chieftain will smoke the rear tire on dry cement or tar like nothing compared to my H-D and they had Dunlops. I wonder if it isn't the bike sometimes. I remember seeing Kenda on the Scout and thinking $heeit. But I thought they looked nice.:rolleyes:
I for one am always looking for the best between stop grip in wet weather, and good side wall grip. thinking if it works well wet then dry should be better. I have had about 4 Scout test rides but only on dry roads. (would have ridden in the rain if necessary) I agree they do look good. :)
As far a winter weather, I Did drop a bike once in the snow heading up a farm driveway. When I get my Scout, guess I will have to be extra careful in the wet winter roads with these tires, When they wear out I will look for a better tire. No use in wasting good rubber.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Will be giving this Kenda's a shot, but as have the Scout Owners Manual on File have already found a couple of different sources for alternative tires if not happy with them .. Have even mentioned this on Scout Owners Group on FB ..

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'll definitely give the Kendas a fair try. I have to admit, I love the looks of them and thought the Indian brand printed on the tire was a cool touch. With that said, tires are one of several areas I will not skimp on. Just makes me more excited to get my Scout and find out for myself! :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All, I am going to have Avon Cobra tyres fitted before I pick up my Scout. I am a sporty rider and my currant bike handles extremely well, so to cover my forgetfulness whilst riding the Scout upgrading to stickier tyres may save my bum. On another note, I received an invitation to the Melbourne Motorbike Exposition this weekend from the Indian dealer in Sydney, so I am going where I will se the Scout for the first time. Can't wait.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm not a Kenda fan given my experience with the brand, but will give them a chance. At the first sign of a problem...off they go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep us posted on your trip to Melbourne and some pics would be awesome .

Hi All, I am going to have Avon Cobra tyres fitted before I pick up my Scout. I am a sporty rider and my currant bike handles extremely well, so to cover my forgetfulness whilst riding the Scout upgrading to stickier tyres may save my bum. On another note, I received an invitation to the Melbourne Motorbike Exposition this weekend from the Indian dealer in Sydney, so I am going where I will se the Scout for the first time. Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
More good info on the tires, must remember to be careful on those wet roads either that or consider replacing them with a better wet gripper. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The first set of tires on any motorcycle are almost always someone elses choice. Seeing what tires will and wont tolerate is a project best tried first on a bone dry day. If the tires say is that all you've got count yourself blessed. Riding in the rain carries a whole lot of challenges and grip is probably the least, spray, cold and puddles better suited for a boat all come to mind. I prefer to wait the showers out and slow down and arrive alive when its to late for that. The second set on my rides' have come from Continental and they work wet / dry and everything in between. The Road Attacks are confidence building rubber

1 - 15 of 15 Posts