Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Here is a pic of the Scout sportbike I am building. I have the build pics and info in the New Members area but thought I would post one here for anyone who hasn't seen it in that area. Please let me know if I should keep the the build pics and info in that area or move it here as this is the build area. Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
Post the pics and all related comments in this thread and subforum - Indian Motorcycle Builds. You'll get more views.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kawascouty, Yes I made all the frame components myself. The following pics are of the build so far and a description the pic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Closeup of the rear swingarm, suspension, foot pegs and chain conversion. I machined the swingarms to match the profile of the gas tank and they are curved and radiused to blend in with the design of the tank. The suspension uses a Kawasaki ZX-10R shock that compresses on both ends using a linkage system similar to a Ducati. I am using a curved connecting link only on the left side of the swingarm so I can run the exhaust on the right side between the frame rails.The footpeg bracket are machined from solid and are mounted inside of the chain. The Scout uses an external swingarm which makes mounting footpegs in a sportbike position a challenge as the footpeg brackets need to be mounted to the frame and wide enough to clear the swingarm. I have converted the bike to chain drive by using an EDM machine to cut out the spline profile I drew up. I also had to EDM out the shifter splines. The swingarm adjuster block are machined to match the swingarms angled cutouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chain conversion design. I contacted Indian about getting the specs for the spline profile but they never got back to me so I decided to draw the profile up myself. If you look close you will see that it isn't a straight spline. I drew the spline up as close as I could, cut it out on an EDM machine and it fit the FIRST time!!! It actually fits better than the factory belt pulley. I also drew up the 30 tooth gear shifter spline without specs and that fit on the second attempt. These are the only 2 things I needed help making as I haven't used an EDM machine before.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 piece non-welded aluminum tail section. I was determined to make the tail section out a one piece of aluminum without any cuts or welds. The learning curve was steep since there aren't a lot of resources available that show you how to make complex shapes this size in a single piece. I have talked to people who do this kind of work and all of them told me to just cut and weld it where the compound curves are but I just couldn't do it. I went through a LOT of material before I learned my technique but it was worth it in the end. The next pic is of my "Tail Section Graveyard". It took me 11 tries but I finally got it...

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dude this is looking killer!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I machined the headstock on manual machines as I wanted to have something done "Old School". This turned into a bigger project than I expected as I forgot the airbox needs to use the headstock as an extension and has a lip on the connection between the two. I should have done an easier part manually but it turned out well and is neat to know it was done on manual machines.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am working on the exhaust now and I will have some pics this next week. I am making the exhaust out of 1 3/4" stainless tubing and will be making it without welded sections. If the exhaust works like I have planned, there will not be any welds on it. I will be making a bending die tomorrow as I don't have the right size for the JD Squared tube bender I have available to use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for looking at the build Mark. I am planning on having it done and at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Minneapolis for the Feb. 2017 show.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a pic from my exhaust bending project. I found out that a standard tube bender will not work for the tight 90 deg. bend coming out of the front head. Using thin wall tubing will crease unless you use a mandrel bending system so I have been trying to make my own for the last few weeks. My attempts so far have proven to not work very well. I made a mandrel bender that I hooked up to a hydraulic press but it isn't rigid enough to keep the tube from creasing so I have to work on it a bit to make it work properly.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,436 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I was watching some car show that had some intricate bends in the exhaust and they were using a pretty standard mandrel bender. The key to their bends was to fill the pipe with water and freeze it before bending. The pressure of the ice stopped the creases. If you can figure out how to get your pipe frozen, it might be worth a try?

Reactions: Indian Scout lover
1 - 20 of 172 Posts