Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Anybody having electrical and transmission issues in less than 2,000 miles?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 100.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I purchased a 2018 Indian Scout Sixty with 800 miles on the odometer about a month ago. I was told that it was put on consignment because the last owner’s wife made him sell it (probably not true). It seemed like a great deal as it already had aftermarket slip ons and I wouldn’t have to pay the “new” vehicle fees normally associated with dealerships. Before taking delivery, I purchased the Indian performance intake which apparently comes with a flash for the computer. After the first week, I took it back to address a multitude of issues I was having with the bike. When I purchased the bike from Fort Collins Indian in Fort Collins, CO., I was told that it just had its 500 mile service with a 14 point inspection just performed before I took delivery. Apparently, this inspection did not include the Brakes (mine squeak like a garbage truck), the turn signals (they rotate on the fork over 80 mph), the transmission (sometimes it wont go into first without stomping on it multiple times and hard shifts into 5th gear), or the electrical system which is regularly throwing codes (so far 2367, 2369, another one concerning the O2 sensor, and twice now the thing has lit up like a Christmas tree refusing to start until I turn the key back off and try again). Has anybody else experienced such lack in quality and had such a terrible experience as I am having? Oh yeah, the first time I took it back, I was turned away as these things are just normal (that was before it threw any electrical codes). The second time, after someone from Polaris/Indian customer service got involved, they picked it up and took it to the dealership to diagnose it, had it for a week and changed an O2 sensor. I just got it back tonight (I had to go pick it up) after they said they were unable to replicate my issues. I rode it for less than two hours and it already has done the christmas tree thing to me (it refuses to start without turning the key off and trying again). The troubling thing aside from the electrical issue is the transmission which will leave me at a light that turns green searching for first gear as I frantically stomp the you know what out of the lever as traffic is coming up from behind. The corporate guy from Polaris/Indian said that the dealership needed 11hours of labor to actually go inside and physically check out the transmission parts. Also, that without them being able to replicate the issue, going that route and incurring that expense would not be justified. So now I am stuck with this large amount owed on a bike that is somewhat unreliable and (to me) very unsafe, and all they did for warranty work was put some duct tape under the blinkers and put a new O2 sensor in (hopefully they didn’t cross-thread it) Any advice on my next move would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
You might check or replace your tilt sensor, that is the way they act when they go out.
Bike dies and then switch off and then back on before it will start. There is a recall on some Scouts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You might check or replace your tilt sensor, that is the way they act when they go out.
Bike dies and then switch off and then back on before it will start. There is a recall on some Scouts.
One would think that the dealer would have check that ?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
No real good way to check it...
Sensor has to be at a 45 degree angle to shut down bike. Made to kill bike if it falls over.
The sensor is filled with a gel like substance that may have leaked out and cause the internal pendulum to randomly shut you down.
Not in a handy place on a Scout. Lazy or ignorant mechanics??

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
Your inability to shift into neutral or into 5th is most likely due to the clutch cable stretch and the cable not properly adjusted.

Common problem, especially on newer bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No real good way to check it...
Sensor has to be at a 45 degree angle to shut down bike. Made to kill bike if it falls over.
The sensor is filled with a gel like substance that may have leaked out and cause the internal pendulum to randomly shut you down.
Not in a handy place on a Scout. Lazy or ignorant mechanics??
I have no faith in that dealership whatsoever. It lit up like a christmas tree last night when trying to start and again today. A few other times it didn’t start and required numerous times pressing the start button (no lights). I wish I never bought an Indian.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
2018, should still be under warranty. If you are not confident with your dealer find another. And lastly I do not wish I never bought an Indian, LOL!

Reactions: Nuguns

·
Registered
154 Posts
Stuff like this (new crap) should, could, may, and might work like the company said's it will. It is just not always true ! You may have a lemon ! This is one of the reasons my next motorcycle will be a older bike, Not near as much (new crap). I feel for you Dan. God Bless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stuff like this (new crap) should, could, may, and might work like the company said's it will. It is just not always true ! You may have a lemon ! This is one of the reasons my next motorcycle will be a older bike, Not near as much (new crap). I feel for you Dan. God Bless.
Amen
2018, should still be under warranty. If you are not confident with your dealer find another. And lastly I do not wish I never bought an Indian,
Sounds like the owner before you got rid of a lemon.
Your inability to shift into neutral or into 5th is most likely due to the clutch cable stretch and the cable not properly adjusted.

Common problem, especially on newer bikes.
Unfortunately, the clutch cable has been adjusted. The mechanic at Fort Collins Indian said his gauge of adjustment is if he can stick a nickel in between the lever and the post. I told him my gauge was hearing the gears grinding. It is really my fault for wanting to buy American. It may have meant something once upon a time (at least for cruisers), but now I’ve got a POS built by American nit wits with Chinese electrical components. I think I’ll go one more round with the warranty routine with another dealer, then spend the money for a Lemon Law lawyer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So, I purchased a 2018 Indian Scout Sixty with 800 miles on the odometer about a month ago. I was told that it was put on consignment because the last owner’s wife made him sell it (probably not true). It seemed like a great deal as it already had aftermarket slip ons and I wouldn’t have to pay the “new” vehicle fees normally associated with dealerships. Before taking delivery, I purchased the Indian performance intake which apparently comes with a flash for the computer. After the first week, I took it back to address a multitude of issues I was having with the bike. When I purchased the bike from Fort Collins Indian in Fort Collins, CO., I was told that it just had its 500 mile service with a 14 point inspection just performed before I took delivery. Apparently, this inspection did not include the Brakes (mine squeak like a garbage truck), the turn signals (they rotate on the fork over 80 mph), the transmission (sometimes it wont go into first without stomping on it multiple times and hard shifts into 5th gear), or the electrical system which is regularly throwing codes (so far 2367, 2369, another one concerning the O2 sensor, and twice now the thing has lit up like a Christmas tree refusing to start until I turn the key back off and try again). Has anybody else experienced such lack in quality and had such a terrible experience as I am having? Oh yeah, the first time I took it back, I was turned away as these things are just normal (that was before it threw any electrical codes). The second time, after someone from Polaris/Indian customer service got involved, they picked it up and took it to the dealership to diagnose it, had it for a week and changed an O2 sensor. I just got it back tonight (I had to go pick it up) after they said they were unable to replicate my issues. I rode it for less than two hours and it already has done the christmas tree thing to me (it refuses to start without turning the key off and trying again). The troubling thing aside from the electrical issue is the transmission which will leave me at a light that turns green searching for first gear as I frantically stomp the you know what out of the lever as traffic is coming up from behind. The corporate guy from Polaris/Indian said that the dealership needed 11hours of labor to actually go inside and physically check out the transmission parts. Also, that without them being able to replicate the issue, going that route and incurring that expense would not be justified. So now I am stuck with this large amount owed on a bike that is somewhat unreliable and (to me) very unsafe, and all they did for warranty work was put some duct tape under the blinkers and put a new O2 sensor in (hopefully they didn’t cross-thread it) Any advice on my next move would be very much appreciated.
These things are not normal and need to be addressed. Check the clutch cable for adjustment.
One word of advice my friend, when stopping at a red light leave the bike in first gear, right foot on the peg. Stop at an angle with an escape route planned, head on a swivel.
This is more true today than ever do to distracted drivers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or next time....buy a used Harley.

They never break down.
Lol
Hah! Ironically, I rented an older fat boy and couldn’t stand how clunky the transmission was. It really sucked because I always thought it would be a great bike for a guy my age. Oh well, I just have to resign myself to the disappointment of owning a bike with issues that I will be upside down in for at least a couple years. I have realized after this experience that buying American now means getting a bike from a big company that doesn’t care about your warranty, put together by people that are probably on the spectrum, with what are probably Chinese electrical components. If I bought a Japanese bike, it would probably have been designed and made by competent folks with Japanese electrical components. A used Suzuki M90 or M109 is looking mighty nice right about now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These things are not normal and need to be addressed. Check the clutch cable for adjustment.
One word of advice my friend, when stopping at a red light leave the bike in first gear, right foot on the peg. Stop at an angle with an escape route planned, head on a swivel.
This is more true today than ever do to distracted drivers.
Sometimes I’m too busy kicking the hell out of the gear shift in a frantic effort to find 1st gear to worry about anything else. Usually in traffic, I will split the lane and get up to the front. It is not legal to do here, but its better than getting killed by some moron high on dope or texting (I live in Colorado).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
1st gear can be problematic when the clutch cable is out of adjustment, have heard of internal issues if after you get the cable adjusted to the correct spec, try rolling the bike forward just a little bit. Should drop into gear. Agree with the statement above about leaving it in 1st gear when you come to a stop. When I had my 2017 Scout 60, adjusting the clutch cable cure the similar issue. As far as the electrical issues, I am no help, mine was rock solid and did not have issues.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
I had a GoldWing that was the worst when trying to downshift into first while warm.
After 110,000 miles we just gave up and got used to that quirk.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would definitely start with a clutch cable adjustment. Very easy and only takes a couple mins max.

next I would unhook the battery ( if that clears codes...not 100% sure to be honest.)

once the clutch cable is adjusted it should shift fine. The stock cable is crap and needs frequent adjustments. If you get the bike sorted and decide to keep buy a Barnett cable.

get it to a competent Indian dealer. ( stand alone dealer...not a dealer that sells all kinds of brands like a super store.)

Reactions: saxmaniac

·
Registered
582 Posts

Reactions: Nuguns

·
Registered
875 Posts
Adjust my cable many times until it snapped last week.

Did I also mention starting in 1st gear has always been flaky?

No more. Can't believe the improvement one simple Barnett cable makes. Better than new by a factor of 10. Shifting so easy now.

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
I notice the manual says to adjust the drive belt while within a certain temperature range, but does not say that for the clutch cable. It also says nothing about the bike being cold / unridden. It's about 30 degrees in my garage. Is this setting so precise that we should be concerned about these variables? At this temp and unridden the free play measures exactly to specs. I'm betting that it will be a little greater when the temps are higher and I have been riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts