Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scout Sixty is nearing its 500-mile service. What should I expect?
What will be the charges and what is your experience?
Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
TIA

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
I bought my Scout with more than 900 miles on it and supposedly it had been done already.

If I recall right I think people have said it’s basically an oil and filter change that costs $250-$300.

Reactions: scout_darkhorse

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
Yeah, the wide variations in price are obviously due to dealer locations and amount of time spent working on or checking over the bike.

An oddity about that service is a compression check of the cylinders which people claim usually isn’t done.

Reactions: scout_darkhorse

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Scout Sixty is nearing its 500-mile service. What should I expect?
What will be the charges and what is your experience?
Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
TIA
When I spoke with my dealer in Brookfield, CT they said all they do is an oil change and check tightness of bolts and any look for any adjustment in cables, along with test riding the bike....for $400...I passed on that and did it myself. Up to about 900 miles on it and no issues. Personally way too expensive for me, but can vary for other dealers.

·
Rider
772 Posts
Mine was $50.00 , but I already had changed my oil and filter. He said rest was just a few adjustments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I spoke with my dealer in Brookfield, CT they said all they do is an oil change and check tightness of bolts and any look for any adjustment in cables, along with test riding the bike....for $400...I passed on that and did it myself. Up to about 900 miles on it and no issues. Personally way too expensive for me, but can vary for other dealers.
I would be learning basic process of oil change and stuff - but for this first one I want to get it done by the dealer as I also want to adjust some of the clutch wire and suspension pre-load. I know all can be done home, but just for this first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would be learning basic process of oil change and stuff - but for this first one I want to get it done by the dealer as I also want to adjust some of the clutch wire and suspension pre-load. I know all can be done home, but just for this first.
Absolutely, to each is own. Hope the bike is exceeding your expectations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I paid about $200 for mine, but I brought it after putting in 1300 miles. They said they checked everything and no issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 500 mi service was quite expensive at $351, but they really did a lot on the bike. Oil change, compression check, preload adjustment, belt tensioning, alignment and installed a flyshield I picked up on the spot. Good guy dealership found plenty of incentives for me though. Ended up at $59 out the door including the flyscreen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I scheduled mine for a few weeks from now and the tech said it would cost around $190. He said its basically to change the oil and see if the bike is operating properly and to adjust and cables or whatever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I scheduled mine for a few weeks from now and the tech said it would cost around $190. He said its basically to change the oil and see if the bike is operating properly and to adjust and cables or whatever.
Got it, I believe I will start doing it from next, as I still don't have all the tools that are required, plus I don't have my own garage

·
Registered
56 Posts
WOAH !!! That's really a great price, how ?
I went to Hernley’s in Elizabethtown, PA and they are a small dealer in a small working town. My guess is they wouldn’t be able to get away with a super inflated prices because no one would pay for it. I even mentioned it to the service consultant and she basically said that it’s not worth any more than that considering what gets done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine cost $268, considering it's NYC and all prices here are inflated I didn't think it was bad. The dealership took a business hit in the spring due to Covid, so I had no issue supporting them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts