Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is information for anyone wanting to swap out their handlebars with aftermarket bars NOT designed specifically for the Indian Scouts. The OEM bar is 1” diameter up to the controls, where it is reduced down to 7/8” diameter. The controls take up 8-5/8” (minimum) from the end of the bar. The bars are knurled ( straight cut) at the clamping areas-AND-at the controls areas. The throttle and switch housings have one small ( .197-.200”)diameter locating pin that sticks down into a hole 7” up from the end of the bar, and keeps these controls from sliding off or turning. The knurled surface probably helps here too. You will have to use 1” to 7/8” bar adapters ($12 @ Amazon) and I epoxied them onto the 7/8” dia bars at the clamping area. It would be advisable to install bar ends or weights also, as this would keep the throttle on -should the small locator pin ever break. The throttle and switch controls are plastic, and don’t have a tremendous clamping surface. (I’m probably thinking over protective here, but anyway). I installed a med rise 7/8” black Buckhorn bar on my Scout 60.I had to add 5/8” length to the bar ends. I do not like the OEM tiller bars, Apes too tall and the Beach bars too wide for me, Trask A-line bars are nice but too far forwards reach for me.Trask does have a set of fully adjustable very well made bars, but not my style. After all changes/alteration is made to the 7/8” bars you select and install you can then remove and send to a custom bar maker ( along with the OEM bars- for reference/ knurled locations) and they can make you a new 1” bar w/7/8” control ends. Costly ? 7/8 “ dia. good strong bars cost $80-100( I bought Drag Speciality) ( Flanders are better yet ). If you have new made from this experiment $300-350 for bars in blk powder coat. So yes -costly just to get something beside the usual ( but correct fit )offerings. No one offers buckhorns (yet), which I like, and feel great. I made a thread in the Scout threads w/ pics. Hope this helps if anyone interested. Not responsible if you screw something up, or ruin anything.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Bobber Thunder Black
11 Posts
This is information for anyone wanting to swap out their handlebars with aftermarket bars NOT designed specifically for the Indian Scouts. The OEM bar is 1” diameter up to the controls, where it is reduced down to 7/8” diameter. The controls take up 8-5/8” (minimum) from the end of the bar. The bars are knurled ( straight cut) at the clamping areas-AND-at the controls areas. The throttle and switch housings have one small ( .197-.200”)diameter locating pin that sticks down into a hole 7” up from the end of the bar, and keeps these controls from sliding off or turning. The knurled surface probably helps here too. You will have to use 1” to 7/8” bar adapters ($12 @ Amazon) and I epoxied them onto the 7/8” dia bars at the clamping area. It would be advisable to install bar ends or weights also, as this would keep the throttle on -should the small locator pin ever break. The throttle and switch controls are plastic, and don’t have a tremendous clamping surface. (I’m probably thinking over protective here, but anyway). I installed a med rise 7/8” black Buckhorn bar on my Scout 60.I had to add 5/8” length to the bar ends. I do not like the OEM tiller bars, Apes too tall and the Beach bars too wide for me, Trask A-line bars are nice but too far forwards reach for me.Trask does have a set of fully adjustable very well made bars, but not my style. After all changes/alteration is made to the 7/8” bars you select and install you can then remove and send to a custom bar maker ( along with the OEM bars- for reference/ knurled locations) and they can make you a new 1” bar w/7/8” control ends. Costly ? 7/8 “ dia. good strong bars cost $80-100( I bought Drag Speciality) ( Flanders are better yet ). If you have new made from this experiment $300-350 for bars in blk powder coat. So yes -costly just to get something beside the usual ( but correct fit )offerings. No one offers buckhorns (yet), which I like, and feel great. I made a thread in the Scout threads w/ pics. Hope this helps if anyone interested. Not responsible if you screw something up, or ruin anything.

THANK YOU!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts