Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IndianScoutKey.jpg

Okay guys, I have the key to a brand new Indian Scout, and will have it for a minute. I will be living with the Scout, riding it as much as I can in as many different road conditions as I can over the coming week or so.

Here is the deal: I will be doing a writeup once I turn the key back over to Indian, so while I have the bike, let me know EXACTLY what you want to know about it. Pictures that you want, dimensions, impressions, etc. Chime in to this thread and let me know your question so that I can make sure to address it in the write up.

I am not sure exactly how long I will have the bike in my possession, so get your questions in now! I will address every question posed in this thread to the best of my ability.

Let the questions begin!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,
how great to have a Scout! Here's a few...are the mirror stalks long enough to see behind you? They look very short. How's the fueling at low revs/slow going...smooth or not? At what speed do you begin to feel any noticeable vibrations? Is it through the bars, pegs or both? And lastly, when riding for a decent amount of time (30 min or more), how hot does the header get and can/does it "burn" thru your pants? A friend of mine has to ride with his right foot on the far end of the peg to keep from getting too much heat from his v-rod. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
NickJ, you are a lucky person! Thank you for sharing the ride through you.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. Not sure your height and inseam but how does the bike feel with your frame. I ordered the extended reach foot controls that give about 2" of extra stretch in the leg. Sort of interested what you think about the fit for you, comfort on 1 hr plus rides. Any chance you'll be doing two up riding and if so what does your passenger think (off chance you have a pillion setup). Anything show up on your Scout that wasn't part of the initial specs, e.g. additional instrumentation indicators. Gas Mileage during your review period.

Any accessories and what you think of fit, quality, finish, adds value, useless, etc.

Mycool mentioned vibrations and that's a good one which I've been wondering about.

Thanks for sharing with us!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
In addition to the questions already mentioned, I hope you have a chance to check out the windshield. If so, how does it perform at various speeds...i.e. buffeting, protection and noise. Also, take pic's of how it mounts to the bike. Next, give some idea of the mileage you get...I know this varies by how "aggressive" you might be, so add that info too. Lastly, give us an impression of the ride quality...i.e. suspension reaction to smooth vs. rough roads. Include some sense of the quality of the braking in various modes...i.e. "normal" stops vs. "panic" stops. Thanks for entertaining our questions, Nickj.

·
Registered
487 Posts
NickJ you're in Texas right?....so am I....I am in Ft Worth,,,, if you're close hit me up and let's go for a ride tomorrow.... I need to get my Triumph out for some exercise....

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am 5'10", Indian Fort Worth ordered a short windshield, if your test bike has a windshield, see if you can gauge whether a med or tall is better for my height, if possible. Would a center stand fit one, when and if one is eventually produced. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks NickJ, what are your vital statistics? You look a bit lanky in your avatar!
If only I was that lucky... My avatar is a classic photo of the late, great Steve McQueen.

My vitals are as follows:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175-ish (It has been a long time since I have been on a scale, I am not a "big" guy by any means)
Waist: 31-32"
Inseam: 32"

4Nines will be available for some 6'1" rider comparos.

Fred, I am down in Austin. I would be happy to ride with you if you want to come down! I hope the rain stops by tomorrow so that I can get some miles on this thing.

This is a pre-production model so there are a few things that are going to be different from production. Not much though.

The Scout does not have any accessories on it and features the solo seat, so no p-pad on this one. Photos of the exact bike I am on can be found in my Chance Encounters Article: http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/fo...1237-chance-encounters-2015-indian-scout.html

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
"This is a pre-production model so there are a few things that are going to be different from production. Not much though."

What do you suspect might be some of the "few things" that might change?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"This is a pre-production model so there are a few things that are going to be different from production. Not much though."

What do you suspect might be some of the "few things" that might change?
Bear in mind that I am not going to start answering questions in the thread, but there are a few things I want to address before questions that I will not be able to answer, I.e. Accessories.

Really minor things will be "fixed" like the relocation of a wiring goiter just behind the #2 cylinder, and just a few "clean-up" issues.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi Nick,
First of all, lucky you. And have a great time.
Second, my contribution to your inquiry offer

1) Curiously what bike and riding experience are you very familiar with? that is what rider type perspective
would you be coming from?

2) do you have go-pro or similar videography capabilities? If so will you be posting videos of your rides?
If so, if I may, a helpful hint concerning wind-noise which plagues many bike videos is to use upholstery foam over
the camera's mike. It dampens the noise considerably and helps with hearing the engine and exhaust notes
at speed and possibly the rider's voice as well. IF you have audio editing capabilities, narrating from the computer
and injecting your thoughts into the video editor helps to yield a more professional result. - again, just a friendly suggestion.

3) Don't forget to check all fluids. You probably already know how to remove the seat to access the coolant overflow tank.

4) below are some of my personal questions and thoughts to ponder submission that may be helpful to you during your
ride - I hope they are helpful questions, anyway.

=Fuel Economy=
City - Low/High/Average mpg
Highway - Low/High/Average mpg
Accounting for traffic and riding style

==Drivetrain Performance==

=Transmission=
Shifting Characteristics: Clunky? Smooth?
Ease of finding gear or neutral positions?

=Acceleration=
0-60 time (thinking highway onramp/merge acceleration )
60-90 time (thinking fast-passing)
Quarter mile estimate? Maybe a real lap down a dragstrip?
hint ; ) - Texas Dragstrips, Dragways, and Drag Racing Tracks | XTRA Action Sports

==Handling==

=Slow Speed Maneuvering=
It's been reported that the bike handles well at low speeds (parking lot)

=Turning Radius=
What might be the minimum turning radius? (you may need chalk and 100' tape measure)
(a cycle journalist reported that average 2-way highway u-turns took up the whole road.)
I forget the wheelbase but I think it's about 61 inches

=High Speed Maneuvering=
Thinking twisties and sweepers (I know Texas is dominantly flat and the roads are straight.)
It's been said that the bike is a blast through the twisties in the Black Hills.

=Offroad Handling=
Thinking typical unpaved but maintained farmroads (I assume this may be a no brainer and will not be
tested but an educated guess might suffice?)
It is worthy of note that traction relies on both tire tread type and pattern and I assume that the tires
will be the street oriented Indian tires.
Accelleration properties may provide clues of the low end torque and gear ratio properties and how they might
be compared to bikes such as the H-D Sportster (thinking Flat track and Hill Climbs as well as drag strip)

=Braking=
60-0 time and distance?
Front and rear brake characteristics

==Vibration==
=Riding Comfort - Saddle=
How does the saddle feel after x miles on the highway or x amount of time in the city?
How long before the tingles begin?
How long before saddle sore - Tailbone pain?

=Riding Comfort - Hand Grips=
The grips are a bit on the smallish side, almost bicycle thick (of course, they can be changed out to taste)

=Riding Comfort - Footpegs=
How do the foot pegs feel after x miles on the highway? Cramped? Vibration through the boots?

=Water Test=
Could you place a plastic cup of water and see if it dances off the flush gas cap - You'll have to balance the bike level to
do this. (I'd seen someone on youtube do this on a Honda CB750, on it's center stand, at both idle and high rpms. It stayed on top of the tank and never spilled) - Just a fun test if you had the time.

For me, the issue is that I have diabetes which affects the nerves, and am curious of the vibration levels on a longer term session than what I had experienced which was only a couple minutes. On the dealer lot/showroom, in one place, the bike's vibration characteristics didn't feel anywhere near the nastiness of just about every HD known to mankind. Through the grips I was reminded somewhat of the Honda CRF250L dual-sport for the handgrip size and vibration levels which felt, to me, about the same as a typical 5hp lawnmower. A journalist reported that the bike had a certain Japanese bike feel to it.

I have the impression of this 1st year bike, as advertised, as being something akin to a hefty rider on a Ducati Diavel in "urban" mode (100 hp). I think the suspension favors the relaxed but quick and agile cruiser riding style but, I am getting bit
heavy at 220lbs. I also imagine that someone with available funds could custom build a performance crossbreed of Cruiser/Roadster /Cafe Racer and MotoGPesq variant of the bike employing components from the likes of Ohlins, carbon fiber fenders ala Ducati Diavel Carbon, Brembo Brakes, X rims and performance tires such as Pirelli and of course, a tuned engine, resulting in a Scout that has morphed to something akin to a modern performance 101 Scout or Sport Scout ready to hit the tracks. Reconfigured the bike could be a hill climber, and reconfigured again, the bike could be a dirt tracker,
and yet again, a dragbike, or still again, a Bonneville Time Trials machine. - Something just tells me this Scout has a whole lot more potential than just the "cruiser" application.

Thanks for offering us a chance to contribute items of interests. :)
Have fun and be safe - Like the others, I too, look forward to your review. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nick,man I wish we were a little closer, would be awesome to hit the hill country roads chasing each other around..... looks like you made a great score,,,,, ride it like you stole it brother, then get back to us,make us jealous, and make the anticipation kill us.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I rode the Scout yesterday and was shocked just how good this new motorcycle is! It just exudes quality and presence. After getting off my Sportster 48 and onto the Scout, I quickly realized how much more of a pleasurable and enjoyable ride the Scout provides. I could easily ride twice as far on the Scout in a day as I would want to on my Sportster.

More specs, info and photos to come!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I rode the Scout yesterday and was shocked just how good this new motorcycle is! It just exudes quality and presence. After getting off my Sportster 48 and onto the Scout, I quickly realized how much more of a pleasurable and enjoyable ride the Scout provides. I could easily ride twice as far on the Scout in a day as I would want to on my Sportster.

More specs, info and photos to come!
Hi 9999, How far could you go on the Sportster?
Look forward to your review.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi 9999, How far could you go on the Sportster?
Look forward to your review.
I usually don't go more than 70 miles on a tank. At best I can hold about 1.9 gallons total and I start to get nervous about running out of fuel if I'm not near a gas station when my odometer crosses 60+ miles.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As requested prior, please post mpg. Also, what part(s) of your body start feeling road weary first the end of a longer ride? How long before these effects occur? How's the suspension over expansion joints? What's the rpm at 60, 65, 70 and 75mph?

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I usually don't go more than 70 miles on a tank. At best I can hold about 1.9 gallons total and I start to get nervous about running out of fuel if I'm not near a gas station when my odometer crosses 60+ miles.
Thanks 9999. 70 isn't very far for gas refills. Comfortwise, how long or how far can you stay in the saddle on the sportster? and... in that sense, how long and far do you think you could take on the Scout?

Anyone with some extra cash could probably have the Scout tank modified to increase it's volume and thus, the range of the bike.

Ooooh just had an idea... Aluminum 4.5 Gal tank - Polished aluminum with the "Indian" Script painted on. Body color painted down the top of tank front to back.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.