Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,394 Posts
Put the zip tie on and went on a ride, this was it's spot when I got back. I checked the preload on the rear, the right side was at like 292mm and the left was around 288ish so I adjusted them back to spec for the 2016 scout's (282mm) and just sitting on the bike I felt a huge difference. When I would sit down pre-adjustment the shocks wouldn't depress at all, now I can actually feel the bike move lower a little when I sit down. I'll take it on a ride soon and see if it makes any difference. Let me know if the zip tie test looks normal or if something is wrong, I really wouldn't know what to be looking for with that. Thanks!

View attachment 644128
Zip tie looks good, considering you probably didn’t knock any really hard bumps. There is plenty of travel used, and it’s not bottoming out either.

Having one side off by 4mm is a big deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
At speeds of 60+ MPH, when I hit moderate bumps, the entire front end/forks of my 2016 Scout will jump into the air and the handlebars will wobble from side to side 3-4 times before it regains control. It's pretty scary when it happens but the bike has always regained control almost instantly on it's own. At first I thought I was gripping the handlebars too hard so I loosened my grip and it still happens, then I started wondering if it was normal but I have ridden a few other bikes and never had anything this extreme happen. It definitely seems different from a typical death wobble, it's only when I hit a good sized bump at highway speeds, and the handlebars only shake back and forth a few times while the front is seemingly off the ground. Any suggestions for what this could be, I just got the bike less then a week ago, good condition, low mileage, I've put about 300 miles on it so far and I love it, except for this one issue. I plan on doing some long road trips before the end of summer but I need to fix this issue before I do that. First thought was front suspension but I'm new to working on bikes and wouldn't even know where to start.
I had 7000 miles on my 2017 Scout this summer. My bike showed bouncing in the suspension. I found the front tire had "spooning" uneven wear. I replaced front and rear stock tires with Michelin III high performance tires! Steady as a rock zero vibration! Holds the road like a racer.

·
Bronze member
1,394 Posts
I had 7000 miles on my 2017 Scout this summer. My bike showed bouncing in the suspension. I found the front tire had "spooning" uneven wear. I replaced front and rear stock tires with Michelin III high performance tires! Steady as a rock zero vibration! Holds the road like a racer.
This is a GREAT point. The stock Kendas are trash. Some chewing gum nailed to some plywood would be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Zip tie looks good, considering you probably didn’t knock any really hard bumps. There is plenty of travel used, and it’s not bottoming out either.

Having one side off by 4mm is a big deal. Good luck.
It seems like adjusting the suspension helped a lot, I think with new tires and a some progressive fork springs it would be perfect. Just adjusting the rear suspension helped a ton.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the advice, almost 6000 miles on mine now and it still has the original tires so I think I'll replace them soon.

·
Rider
981 Posts
I did all that and then still had vibration in handlebars that numbed my hands. Solved it by pouting #5 lead shot into them and sealing them up with "Household Goop". Much better stability too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did all that and then still had vibration in handlebars that numbed my hands. Solved it by pouting #5 lead shot into them and sealing them up with "Household Goop". Much better stability too.
I think the front end benefits from some added weight. I tried both the Indian fairing and Memphis Shades Road Warrior fairing and the weight of the fairing and mounting brackets seemed to make the front end more stable at highway speeds. I then put my tool roll in the fairing bag to add even more weight and I think it helped. Perhaps I notice it more because I'm a lighter weight rider. But it's interesting that Matty saw better stability from the added weight of the lead shot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2016 Scout, and it had the best suspension $25 would buy. I put progressive springs up front and Fox shocks on the back and now it rides like a different bike.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts