Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some will be legitimate, and others.... well you might have to take them with a grain of salt.
There ARE times when there truly are issues.

"Indian Scout Starving For Fuel!"
"I Can't Start My Indian Scout!!!"
"I'm Going To File A Claim!!"
"I RAN OUT OF GAS IN DEATH VALLEY AND I ALMOST DIED!!!!!!"

It is interesting what these two journalists said about the bike having fuel starvation issues.
TRUE, the problems can be VERY legitimate, and at the same time, while Indian may be rectifying the problem,
there is STILL the possibility that the owner will experience the same problem, but under another condition (refer to my graphic).

Shootout at the MO Corral: A Bout with the Scout + Video

"Additionally, the Scout appears to have a short range once the fuel light comes on, but the feeling of running out of gas quickly thereafter is mostly likely related to the location of the fuel pickup in the preproduction units that also caused stalling after a long deceleration."

2015 Indian Scout Comparison - Motorcycle USA

"While we dote over the 1133cc mill, there are areas for improvement. Around 6500 rpm you do get vibrations in the bars. At idle and slow speeds, there’s a tat-tat-tat-tat sound coming from the engine that will grate on your nerves after a while but isn’t as noticeable at speed. It also had an issue feeding gas up when it gets below a gallon on a blistering hot day. It felt like it’s starved for fuel resulting in hard-starting during these conditions, sputtering and coughing before finally turning over. Until we hit the gas station, flow was a bit inconsistent."

Starving Indian Scout needs gas.jpg

Factoid:
Every motor vehicle has it's little quirks when it comes to being low on fuel. The graphic above is thoughtful toward a
motorcycle but what happens inside the fuel tank is typical of ALL motor vehicles. Not just the Indian Scout.

Minor trouble shooting:
Remember also to check for kinks or pinched lines in fuel and vent lines as they too can wreak havoc on proper fuel supply by restricting fuel flow and tank air flow venting ability.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, don't do it.

I offer this thread as food for thought should you experience similar symptoms.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will say this: IF they don't do this already, perforated bulkheads in the tank can help alleviate the fuel starvation under hard acceleration and long deceleration.
A perforated bulkhead restricts fuel from sloshing back and forth within the tank.
In the case of the Scout, IF it remains a serious issue that has NOT been rectified. I'd offer this suggestion provided the tank design actually allow
for it.

Standard operating procedure in liquid transport tanker trucks, except in that application it isn't about fuel starvation, but rather about controlling liquid weight redistribution under braking. A tricky thing to deal with, back before it became a requirement.
You can see the seams on a typical fuel/gas truck or trailer. Next time you see one refueling a station take a look, for yourself.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yeah but I can take a round through the tank and make a getaway. Bugs in my teeth, smile on my face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read those reports as well...My first (of two) demo rides on the Scout was performed on an extremely hot day in SE Michigan (96 degrees plus). One of the bikes ran out of gas on the demo ride prior to mine. The guy who rode it saw the warning light, when he hopped on the bike, but told no one...then 15 miles into his ride, the bike dies. Go figure.

As for me, I enjoyed seamless ride, with no issues whatsoever. No one else (there were five Scouts on the demo trail) had a problem either.

My plan of action will be to fill her up at the 100 mile mark regardless.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
That's a good idea, plus it gives you time to stretch the legs lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
Only one complaint... Where's my Indian Red Scout???

And I bet many of you thought I was going to bring up the Gear Indicator and Gas Gauge or "Miles to Empty"... :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

And I bet many of you thought I was going to bring up the Gear Indicator and Gas Gauge or "Miles to Empty"... :eek:
Now why would we think that LOL

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Now this leads me to a thought. And now the question:
Think reverse psychology:

What if manufacturers sold gas caps instead of cars.

NEW! for 2020!!!
A brand new Gas Cap Deluxe now standard with lock and key.
And look at all of the features that come with it.

Then they proceed to cover all the additional parts and accessories for the gas cap deluxe.
When it's all picked out, you have a motorcycle or a car or whatever.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My plan of action will be to fill her up at the 100 mile mark regardless.
Best idea on the forum thus far! I'd like to believe the Scout will get almost 150 but not expecting it. I had to look for gas at the 125 mile mark on my Vulcan 800. So stopping at 100 miles for coffee (Kona Blend) and Gas (Premium) at WaWa! What could be better?! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Best idea on the forum thus far! I'd like to believe the Scout will get almost 150 but not expecting it. I had to look for gas at the 125 mile mark on my Vulcan 800. So stopping at 100 miles for coffee (Kona Blend) and Gas (Premium) at WaWa! What could be better?! :)
I figured about 125, max. (easy riding). The route for that figure was from San Diego out to El Centro.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NEXT Concern or Complaint:

"GRIPS ARE TOO SMALL!!!"
"I feel like I am riding my kid's pet monkey's bmx dirt bike!!!!"

Adaptor tube or wrap for larger diameter grips?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
NEXT Concern or Complaint:

"GRIPS ARE TOO SMALL!!!"
"I feel like I am riding my kid's pet monkey's bmx dirt bike!!!!"

Adaptor tube or wrap for larger diameter grips?
Hey, if the monkey can do it....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts