Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unimpressed with the performance of the brakes (especially the front) on my recently-acquired 2017 Scout ABS. It's slow to engage and weak compared to my other bikes, but not spongy. I will ask my mechanic to check them next week when I go in for the 2500 mile service. I saw some press releases that Indian has upgraded the Scout brakes to free rotors and changed the master cylinder for 2020, but can't find any info on their web site. I also found an Italian company, Free Spirits, that has been selling kits (about $700) to upgrade the front brakes on Scouts to 320 mm free rotors with 4 piston Brembo calipers and they also sell calipers only, but no rotors, to upgrade the back brakes to 4 piston Brembo. Sorry to be so long winded.

Does anybody know what Indian has actually done to the Scout brakes for 2020? Are the differences really noticeable? Has anybody installed the Free Spirit kit? I guess my options are to spend about $7K to trade up to a 2020, see if Indian can/would modify the 2017 brakes to 2020 specs ($2K-3K???), or get the Free Spirit kit installed (about $1000?). Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This subject has been covered before - check previous brake upgrade posts. There are a handful of companies offering upgraded braking for the scout. Either fully floating discs, like galfer, and/or 4/6 pot calipers. I don't think there are many who have stumped up the cost of these changes and those that have don't seem to report back about any improvements. I myself have long considered the scout brakes to be barely acceptable for the weight and performance of the bike. check out the post lower down the page on brake upgrades (Pistol660).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much. It's strange that Indian is being so quiet about the 2020 upgrades. I can't find anything on their web site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may be posting in two different threads because I don’t know any better. Indian has fixed the Scout brakes for 2020, but would not provide any info on the changes, or whether the 2020 parts would fit my 2017 Scout ABS. I decided to go aftermarket with the Free Spirits front rotor and caliper upgrade kit and a Nissan 16mm master cylinder.
Has anyone checked out the rear brake performance on a 2020 Scout? The rear brake on my 2017 is weak, and I may decide to fix the rear brake too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi DrSteve, I'm interested to hear what kind of results you get from the Free Spirits brake upgrade - it's the front caliper upgrade you're doing, right?

I'm considering buying a Scout Bobber and can see Indian upgraded the front brake for 2020, but weighing up a 2020 model Vs an older model + a Free Spirits front brake upgrade kit...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be glad to post my thoughts about the Free Spirits upgrade.

Indian customer service won't release any info about what they changed for 2020, but if you look at the bike on the showroom floor, it clearly has a floating rotor. The 2020 front master cylinder description on their parts site says it's a 14.0mm, and I read somewhere the old one was 12.8mm. I believe the new front caliper is still a two piston unit, but may now be 34mm. Not sure what the old one was. I trashed all the stuff I printed off the Indian parts site when I was essentially forced by Indian to go aftermarket, and I don't remember the details about the back brake. Indian also went with a free rotor on the back in 2020 and changed the rear master cylinder and caliper.

My plan is to see if the Free Spirits kit solves the front brake problems and maybe upgrade the back rotor and pads to Free Spirits when I have to replace my rear tire. Indian customer service would not tell me if I could put any of their 2020 brake parts on my 2017.

I wish Indian customer service would stop being so proprietary and start serving the customers. I'm spending about $1000 to fix my 2017 brakes and Indian and their dealer could have had that money if they would just tell the truth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts