Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Curious, what is the longest ride you've managed to do on a Scout Bobber so far? Did you do it on a stock or prep'ed it somehow (i.e. custom seat, better shocks, etc).

In general, do you think Bobber is adoptable for long distance, or would it be a waste of money and its look to use it for touring (aka bigger saddle bags, windshield, etc)? Or maybe you believe stock is good enough for a cross-country ride? :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
IMHO, no way a bobber is a cross country rider. You CAN do it, sure, will it be comfy? doubtful. Love my scout, but after a 200 mile day, I'm good. That's with mustang solo seat, mini apes, better grips and some other extras. If you want to go across country, best bet is a touring bike. Comfy, meant for that kind of long haul, and has everything you need for the most part. Scouts and bobbers are day trippers, bar hoppers, around town bikes to me. Sure they CAN do cross country, but i'm sure your back and butt would be trashed when you got there.

best part is, it's YOUR bike, so if you want to give it a go, by all means do so! that's the fun part! you can do anything you want to your bike! That's why we all love them so much!

Good luck and happy riding!

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
300 plus mile day trip. The Bobber is simply not a touring machine, at all. It’s a great bike for the looks, the short, for fun, day trips. Try to turn it into what it’s not and you’ll be unhappy with the looks and the performance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Setting out tomorrow for a 322, 318, and 220 mile three day ride. Will report back how I make out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you folks, great insights! I actually had the same thoughts. It is my first bike and riding experience though, so wasn't sure if my thinking is on the right track. At some point want to do multiday trip, and was thinking whether it worth even considering adopting Bobber for long distance or better plan for a second bike for it. My conclusion is that I like it for what it is too much, so when time comes - I'll just consider buying second bike that fits long distance purpose better.

Btw, did 60 miles today, and butt already didn't feel 100% comfortable. That's accounting me being new to riding, but still.

Look forward to the report on that multiday trip Delnari is doing right now!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank you folks, great insights! I actually had the same thoughts. It is my first bike and riding experience though, so wasn't sure if my thinking is on the right track. At some point want to do multiday trip, and was thinking whether it worth even considering adopting Bobber for long distance or better plan for a second bike for it. My conclusion is that I like it for what it is too much, so when time comes - I'll just consider buying second bike that fits long distance purpose better.

Btw, did 60 miles today, and butt already didn't feel 100% comfortable. That's accounting me being new to riding, but still.

Look forward to the report on that multiday trip Delnari is doing right now!
You can do a quick weekend trip on a bobber. Just take a backpack. Works just fine for short get away ! Ride that bike as much as you can. It will teach you what you do and don’t like and how you want to modify things on this bike or a new bike down the road. Key is keep riding my friend !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Gowanii, thank you! Yes, that's what I'm trying to do.. love the bike still, passed break-in mileage and keep going. The only thing I would change so far is a seat. More to be discovered :)

@Delnari, hope you are safely back from the trip. How was it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
You will only love the bike more as you continue to ride it and make it your own.

I’ve made so many adjustments to my scout, j sat on a stock one last week and it felt weird !!!! My scout is now MY bike ! You’ll have the ah ha moment !!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Setting out tomorrow for a 322, 318, and 220 mile three day ride. Will report back how I make out.
That was an experience on the Bobber the past 3 day weekend ride. Ended up riding 860 miles total over 3 days. Rode nearly the entire state of WV with litlte to no rain fall while riding for the first 2 days, but some wet roads. Sunday not so lucky and the sky just poured on us for 6 hours. Never loss traction on the backroads with the OEM Kenda tires and was running lead the entire trip. The bags from KTM worked well on the Indian and keep everything dry the entire trip. Went through Seneca Rocks, Lewisburg, New River Gorge, and Morgantown areas. The Cathedral Falls are really a beautiful site.

Facebook

·
Rider
313 Posts
I went from the Virgina coast to the Ohio border by way of West Virginia on a Honda 750 shadow in a single day & much of WV was rain. Then went to Michigan.
Took about 11 hours the first day and 9 the second. This Saturday I will start another trip to Michigan stay a week and come home. This time I plan on going a shorter route( by 150 miles) through Maryland, and Pennsylvania stopping in Youngstown OH on my Scout 60. This trip will be about 400 miles each leg. This trip will be much easier on me ( I'm about 14 years older), the Scout has floorboards, a windshield and an aftermarket seat, plus I have a rain suit I didn't have before. The Honda was stock no add-ons, the hardest part was keeping my feet on the pegs, aand of course my butt was sore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Delnari beautiful trip, thanks for sharing! Do you also have a pic of your bike loaded with bag? Would be curious to see.

Also, I assume you've been riding stock seat?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Did 4 hours yesterday on 2 seperate trips. First trip wad 2.5 hours, second later in the day was 1.5 hours. Ive had the bike a week now and just hit 600 miles. My back, neck and right shoulder were killing me the last 30 mins or so of both rides. Will consider getting reduced reach bars and foot controls. I think it could help without compromising too much of the agressive stance. I'm 5'6

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did 4 hours yesterday on 2 seperate trips. First trip wad 2.5 hours, second later in the day was 1.5 hours. Ive had the bike a week now and just hit 600 miles. My back, neck and right shoulder were killing me the last 30 mins or so of both rides. Will consider getting reduced reach bars and foot controls. I think it could help without compromising too much of the agressive stance. I'm 5'6
I’m certain that would def help ya out ! Good luck and enjoy the rides !

·
Registered
6 Posts
So far my farthest one day ride has been a little over 400 miles. Rode from Phoenix AZ to Lake Havasu AZ and back. By the end of that I was beat, all on a factory seat with a back pack for storage. Thank god I had upgraded to the mini apes by then.

·
Rider
705 Posts
Just did a double up ride to sequoia National Park about 200 miles round trip. Wasn’t to bad but I could feel my wife scouting around a lil Otw back. So I’m sure the lil seat wasn’t the best...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was nervous going at it alone on my 2018 Indian Scout Bobber, all stock kind of. But sometimes you have to scare yourself to grow and experience new things. So I did It.

Rode from San Francisco to San Diego, 480 miles and back. About 1k miles all together.

Every hour for the first 3 hrs I had to pull over for gas and a break. Once I hit the 5 hour mark, I had to stop every 45 minutes due to excruciating soreness. Here’s the top 3 pain points:

1. Glutes
2. Lower back
3. Right hand numbness

This bike is not meant for long rides, however, if you make enough stops and not try to tough it out, it will work out.

How to fix these 3 issues:

Upgraded seat to the tractor 1920 solo saddle
Upgraded the shocks
Highway cramp buster (cycle gear)

Fix these three things and your ride will much more tolerable.

before

after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was nervous going at it alone on my 2018 Indian Scout Bobber, all stock kind of. But sometimes you have to scare yourself to grow and experience new things. So I did It.

Rode from San Francisco to San Diego, 480 miles and back. About 1k miles all together.

Every hour for the first 3 hrs I had to pull over for gas and a break. Once I hit the 5 hour mark, I had to stop every 45 minutes due to excruciating soreness. Here’s the top 3 pain points:

1. Glutes
2. Lower back
3. Right hand numbness

This bike is not meant for long rides, however, if you make enough stops and not try to tough it out, it will work out.

How to fix these 3 issues:

Upgraded seat to the tractor 1920 solo saddle
Upgraded the shocks
Highway cramp buster (cycle gear)

Fix these three things and your ride will much more tolerable.

before

after

Did the Tractor seat make a huge difference? I keep looking at that or the Corbin seat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stock seat sucks. It’s slippery and painful. Surprisingly, the tractor is much more comfy. But it doesn’t look good on a stock rig IMO, the Corbin will look more stock like and likely more comfy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get the numbness in both hands on long rides...just have to hold the clutch and coast downhills to let the blood flow back....or get a cramp buster.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts