Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone so I recently bought a 2018 scout bobber and its an awesome bike. Now I added the performance intake that indian sells on their site and had it installed and flashed. Now just this past weekend I installed the Trask slip on exhaust and I am wondering if I will need to re-flash the bike again with these slip ons. I have been running the bike but I have noticed that when I first installed the intake the throttle was a lot more responsive. I would feel the bike pull and the intake suck in more air. Now with the slip ons I no longer hear that noise and it seems as if the bike has gotten just a bit slower. The throttle now doesn't seem as responsive. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Too bad you didn't re-flash the bike after the slip on's were added with the intake mods. Generally the ECU can keep up with slip on's. I think maybe you can't hear that air suck noise because you exhaust is much louder than stock. Throttle response should be no different after slip on's were added.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Too bad you didn't re-flash the bike after the slip on's were added with the intake mods. Generally the ECU can keep up with slip on's. I think maybe you can't hear that air suck noise because you exhaust is much louder than stock. Throttle response should be no different after slip on's were added.
Wouldn't make any difference when you put the OEM stage 1 flash in the bike, it is in there no matter what systems you change around.
Most likely the suspected change in lower performance when you put the slip-ons on the bike.
If they are wide open without baffles, you may have lost some of your needed back pressure in the exhaust system.
Wide open on both ends doesn't always mean more horsepower, if fact some lose power when the back pressure is too low!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to wait but the trask slip ons were on back order and I already had the appointment for the intake installation. I figured I wouldn't hear the noise anymore but I didnt expect the power loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't make any difference when you put the OEM stage 1 flash in the bike, it is in there no matter what systems you change around.
Most likely the suspected change in lower performance when you put the slip-ons on the bike.
If they are wide open without baffles, you may have lost some of your needed back pressure in the exhaust system.
Wide open on both ends doesn't always mean more horsepower, if fact some lose power when the back pressure is too low!
Oh ok you are right it's more open and shorter also. I wasnt sure if I would need a reflash but the open exhaust makes sense that I would lose some power. I went from longer to shorter.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,636 Posts
With the Trask slipons, you've no doubt exceeded the capability of the Indian Stage 1 tune to properly fuel your bike.

Assuming the Trasks have lowered gas velocity, your power curves will be shifted toward the higher RPM ranges - and you will need a FM PVCX in order to fuel the bike correctly..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the Trask slipons, you've no doubt exceeded the capability of the Indian Stage 1 tune to properly fuel your bike.

Assuming the Trasks have lowered gas velocity, your power curves will be shifted toward the higher RPM ranges - and you will need a FM PVCX in order to fuel the bike correctly..
An FM pvcx. I should of mentioned I'm fairly new to the motorcycles. Can you give me some details what is an FM PVCX?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Fuel Moto is a tuning outfit. They load fueling programs or "maps" on a device made by DynoJet and that devices name is a Power Vision CX.
They will wake that bad boy up to a level that will tickle your ever lasting soul..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel Moto is a tuning outfit. They load fueling programs or "maps" on a device made by DynoJet and that devices name is a Power Vision CX.
They will wake that bad boy up to a level that will tickle your ever lasting soul..
Oh wow sounds interesting. I'm definitely looking into that then. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how loud is that Trask? does it have a quiet baffle insert as an option?? thanks for sharing man!
It's pretty loud to be honest and they dont have baffles or anything. They are crazy loud. I feel bad at times because they are so loud. I hear alarm beep when I pass but the way it sounds is just too awesome.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's pretty loud to be honest and they dont have baffles or anything. They are crazy loud. I feel bad at times because they are so loud. I hear alarm beep when I pass but the way it sounds is just too awesome.
Nice !!!!!!! Brrrrrrrraaaaaaaap!!!!!!

·
Bronze member
1,436 Posts
The open exhaust changes exhaust velocity that most people refer to as back pressure. Typical scenario. You loose bottom end torque/ power, you can gain top end power-but most don’t ride at 6k + RPM all the time. One way to regain your lost low end power is to make some metal restrictors or baffles from perforated metal and install them in the open mufflers. This also will shave off a few DB in the process. The quieter baffles you speak of may be enough to help. The PVCX from Fuel Moto can be made to change your Onboard computer’s program. The techs at Fuel Moto can change parameters to bring back your low end power to some degree also. If fact they can make all kind of improvements besides making your engine run a lot better. Like changing cooling to come “on” temp wise. Incase you do a lot of in town riding. Just an FYI many Harley guys put straight pipes on and immediately the bike runs like shit on the lower RPM range. The secret to that is to make a simple restrictor from flat washers w/bolts welded to the washer and installed in the pipe. Look up “ Snuff-R-Not”. To see how this works to restrict exhaust ,Change velocity, and richen up the mixture.

·
Bronze member
2,636 Posts
This is me not going off the rails or even getting "testy" concerning the propaganda about purposely adding restrictions to an exhaust systems' "tail assembly" thinking it'll increase TRQ.. Just find one, just one, piece of data showing that adding such a restriction does anything but kill power levels..

·
Bronze member
1,436 Posts
It will bring back the low in torque lost when putting mufflers on that are usually straight through design. Perhaps some real world study would be in order.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did Vance and Hines slip ons with no tune. Didn't notice any additional performance. Added the indian performance intake then the tune. Unbelievable difference. I didn't notice any loss on the bottom end but the mid and upper end gains we're sporty. The bike sounds completely different when in the throttle heavy. Well worth the funds in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts