Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a Scout Bobber. Where do you all have your belt's sitting on the rear pulley. Mine is on the outboard edge with teeth only showing inboard. I've read that its a nightmare to align center and that the belt should favor inboard. I can see that the belt rubs as the tensile cord from the belt is showing but I am unsure what is a "bad" amount of rubbing. I lifted the bike and my tension is at spec. Sadly, my dealer can't get me in for two weeks, which is a bummer, as I'm off of work that entire time. Additionally, they won't give me an answer without seeing the bike.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Does it pull left or right if you let go of the handlebars when moving at a steady speed?

If it’s like I’m thinking it might go left.
You probably need to tighten the right side axle adjuster, not much because a little bit goes a long way.
That’s with the axle slightly loose of course.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done that myself so you might want to wait on other responses before delving into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it pull left or right if you let go of the handlebars when moving at a steady speed?

If it’s like I’m thinking it might go left.
You probably need to tighten the right side axle adjuster, not much because a little bit goes a long way.
That’s with the axle slightly loose of course.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done that myself so you might want to wait on other responses before delving into it.
Surprisingly, it slightly pulls to the right when I take my hands off the handlebars.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Surprisingly, it slightly pulls to the right when I take my hands off the handlebars.
That's what I meant when I said it has been a while. :unsure::confused: Not wanting to confuse you.

Yes, belt on my Scout was tracking on outer edge of sprocket when I got it and also pulled right. Had to remember how that was 3 years ago.
Took me forever to get it to stay in the middle, better yet toward inner sprocket. It still changed all the time, just wasn't rubbing against either edge.

Now... talk about confusing... first attempt; I believe I actually loosened the right adjuster, not tightened, which requires moving the wheel forward on that side with some forward force applied in the process.
So I guess I tightened the right side (obviously you don't adjust left side once belt tension is correct).
I was having to do it in such small incremental turns on the adjuster nut it was getting ridiculous, going back and forth with loosening and retightening.

I say again, maybe someone else can tell of the belt movements with loosening and tightening, I forget that. Guess I could search for talk of it to be sure... or you could too. Might take me some time to get back here.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Back already. Heck, I'm not even going to post a link to the discussion I got involved in some 16 months ago regarding the belt adjustments. It was just as confusing. Mainly because it was about both the Scout models and the others with opposite side belts.

I still think it would be tightening right adjuster to move belt inward on Scout models. So until somebody claims otherwise I'm going with that.

Anyone with another idea, please speak up.

·
Bronze member
2,653 Posts
Next time you’re in an IM dealership, notice the belts on the showroom bikes. The likelihood you find one riding in the center of the pulley is slim. Some will be to the right, others to the left.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep, there's been a lot of discussion around this topic. Very few owners can get the belt to track the way the manual says it should...I was having a chat with the mechanic at my local dealership and he just shook his head and admitted defeat...just make sure that your rear wheel is aligned straight by checking measurements on both sides.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
make sure that your rear wheel is aligned straight by checking measurements on both sides.
Yep. Must ignore the marker plates at the axle. Likewise adjuster bolt thread length.
Distance from swingarm pivot to axle is one way.
I also tried a carpenters laser along the side of the rear tire to find where it pointed in relation to the front tire.

Ultimately if you’re trying to get the belt to track midway on the rear sprocket, or better yet to the inner flange with a slight gap, by tweaking on the adjuster bolt you’re no doubt in for a task. Try not to over complicate it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Measure axle centers to swingarm bolt centers. This will put you in alignment and the belt will be close enough.
Mine sure wasn't. The bolt together Scout chassis comes out of the factory with variations. If I use the swing arm marks, measure from the swing arm pivot (or several other references), or count threads, they all agree and the bike tracks perfectly straight. But, the belt is so hard against one side of the pulley it squeals and leaves ground up belt dust everywhere. I have to loosen the RH adjuster about 1/2 of a division on the marks to get the belt off of the pulley flange. Then the belt tracks fine (not perfectly, nor does it have to be), but the bike pulls to the right and the tires wear unevenly. It is what it is -- the belt has priority because it will destroy itself if misaligned very far. If someone figures out how to do a chassis/drive line alignment I'd like to know how.

Do the belt alignment like the service manual says, but don't be anal about precision, it's not required -- the belt walks around during riding. I've seen mine in different places after a ride.

Reactions: LongRoadHome

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree. I finally got mine close to center (some gap on both sides). Went for a test run and hit a few dips. Came home and there it is on the inboard side. Bike tracks fine hands off but after a few other rides that belt can end up on either side. No belt dust or damage so it must be alright “floating” around in there as is.

·
Silver member
3,636 Posts
This comes up a lot. I think the consensus is that in the vast majority of cases, as long as the wheel is in alignment, whatever position the belt chooses on the pulley is fine. The manual is misleading.

In a prior thread on same topic, I posted pics of the belts on my 60 and my wife's 60. One is on the left, one on the right. No problem unless there is an issue like squealing or inordinate rubbing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts