Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Indian Scout and the Tail of the Dragon, part deux

7K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Masta Kink 
#1 ·
Hi there, for those of you who have read my introduction story into my 4 days, 1550 miles trip from Chicago to the Tail of the Dragon, US 129 last year the remaining of the story is long overdue.
It has to start at 6 am, that's when I woke up in my 20 dollar tent I recently purchased from Dicks Sporting Goods, it was raining outside and the temperatures were in the mid 40s. The camping site in southern Kentucky where we spent the night was about 170 miles away from the tree of shame, the place where we were suppose to "start our real adventure". It was wet, water had gotten into a corner of the tent and I was embarrassed to admit in front of my friends that has happened. I was the one taking longest to pack all my gear back on the motorcycle, for some reason it slammed it had multiplied, because I didn't remembered being as bulky the night before. First stop we did was in Heiskell, Tn just north of Knoxville, everybody got fuel again, filled up with gourmet sausage egg & cheese biscuit, a Pilot speciality and decided to put our rain gear on. There was nothing serious but the forecast said plenty of rain possible in the afternoon. Thanks God for weather maps and smart phones these days because it really helps with planning your trip. Well, three hours, two more fuel stops and one slow speed tip over later we ended up at Gap's deal motorcycle resort. We finally reached Mecca, we were already ampped up from the views, the smells, the turns on US 129 even before we got to the unofficial starting point of the Tail of the Dragon. Took another break, let all the feeling sink in, get a cup of coffe, get dry a bit, the weather was not at all kind to us. We all had the rain suits on and still got wet like dogs. My Rev'it waterproof gloves proved to be not so waterproof, my Speed and Strenght boots even though I had them for less than three weeks looks deformed, I could have sweated they increased two sizes in width and one in length and were soggy to say the least.
Standing and taking pictures by the Tree of Shame did nothing but bring in the obvious thought that was going though the minds of everybody in our little group: enjoy this, you've come so far for this but Dear God, don't crash! You knew in the back of your mind that would complicate the logistics of our trip quite a bit and we needed to go as smooth as possible.
We hoped on our bike, the whole six of us, closed the visors of our helmets and off we go! I can't describe the cacophony of emotions, excitement, fear, pride, shame because I didn't have the guts to tell my family exactly where I was going because they kinda disapprove this past time hobby of mine. All of this went away after the first two corners, all you could focus on was the bike and the road, no two corners were the same and yet you could not afford to settle into a rhythm, it was one turn at the time, all 318 of them. You really find out where you stand as a technical rider on the Tail of the Dragon. You find out how many mistakes you've made and how many times you saved your own hide, your ride and your pride from the always present possibility of an embarrassing accident. You know they take pictures of you, you've seen them yourself, but the moment you arrived in front of that canopy and you see the guys pointing their lenses on you all you can think is: should I wave to the camera or not? Will I look cool on my bike when I'll see the pictures later on today or not? Which hand can I safely remove from the handlebar to wave? It's too late, we've already passed the camera guy and I haven't waved or tried to pose on anything, I was enjoying it too much. It feels longer than usual to do 11 miles, I could have sweared I've seen 40, 50, even 60 mph on my odometer, I've also seen 15.
At some point you realize what you do it's so cliche, I mean do we really have to take pictures in the same places like everybody else, maybe I'm just bitter because my phone battery is dead and I have to ask somebody else to take a picture with me when I'm riding.
Oh, forget about everything Mike and just enjoy yourself, one of my inner voices is telling me, little did i know that by the end of the run I will do a dreaded faux pas in motorcycling: buying a pair of Harley Davidson rain boot covers from the only Harley Davidson store in the area. I was soaking wet, I just finished the Tail of the Dragon, I had some pretty good pictures and nobody crashed, nobody! It was a pretty good day!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I rode the Dragon and know exactly what you are talking about. I was scared and took it slow the first time. (only went a little faster the second time.) Still there are times when you are going downhill in one direction and braking and do a hairpin turn at the bottom and now you are going uphill and accelerating so you don't fall backwards out of the turn. The ride was too technical for me. Some people just love it and there were groups of people there that raced through it when I was there. But I loved the Moonshiner 28 which is connected right after it.

Great Post!

#6 ·
I would say between 42 and 48 mpg but I would say the average is more like 45
Thanks man, been considering one as a second bike and one the wife could run around on. So that give a sold 135 mile range.

I use to go to the gap every year and spend a week. That was back before all the changes to the road surface the road closure hours. It's been several years since I was there. It's a fun place with lots of good roads all around. Glad you had a good adventure.

#10 ·
Thanks man, been considering one as a second bike and one the wife could run around on. So that give a sold 135 mile range.

I use to go to the gap every year and spend a week. That was back before all the changes to the road surface the road closure hours. It's been several years since I was there. It's a fun place with lots of good roads all around. Glad you had a good adventure.
Well, you might have a range of 130-140 miles before you need to put gas in but in stock form the seat is only comfortable for the first 100 miles or so. You might want to stop every 100 miles or so to stretch your legs otherwise your bum bum is gonna get numb numb. We all want not to touch the ground with our legs when we ride for as long as possible but stretches longer than 100 miles are a bit painful. I should know because I usually ride a minimum of 200 miles when I take my bike out but then that's just me.

#17 ·
I've lived in Florida most of my life and there really are no real twisty roads or hills to speak of here. I rode up a few years ago and did the tail of the dragon. Traveling north to south I encountered my first real blind-corner-hard turn-immediate climb up steep-grade. HOLY S-! I BARELY MADE THE TURN! Then realizing I need to downshift to climb the hill- I nearly came to a dead stop in the middle of the road on a steep grade and I immediately remembered some advice someone had given me in the past. I couldn't remember where or who it was, but I could hear a mans voice in my memory saying clearly "the right gear can save your life" meaning having your transmission in the correct gear so your prime power band is immediately there. Suddenly this advice made so much sense, I had never really digested it before. It was like in one of those Kung Fu movies. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." So I made a conscious effort to be in the right gear to make the next turn and then pull my bike up and out without fumbling the gears at the last second. Back to present times- since I made a habit of this it has certainly paid off with me several times, being able to dump the clutch and use that immediate power to avoid an accident. When I do, I always think back to that first corner on the dragon.

#38 ·
Rode tail of the dragon 2 years ago. It's a fun road, but only like a couple breather spots. Also anyone who goes be careful, and try to be ready to serve or stop if a big vehicle comes your way. I was in a turn and met a huge rv as soon as I got out. if I would of been a moment later out it would of been bad. Also go really slow the first few passes it has really tight turns.

#41 ·
My post was for everyone, no matter what you ride/drive. I've been to the Dragon ten times and have pretty much seen it all.
In between the 'mayo n mustard as you put it, the double line means no passing, 10 times or 30 plus I've done; I don't give a crap what's behind me-my focus and everybody else should do the same and focus on what's in front, way too many curves to see what's going on behind. It's go at your pace as fast as your pace allows you too! Period. If the camera or police catch a passer it's a very pricey ticket or a serious injury. And because thvere are so many accidents there are many police plus aireial radar. We can't beat the radio. If you supply information to this forum make it safe info, if you're trying to make a stand cause you're new (forget it)! This is a good bunch. And more knowledgeable then using your advice. Sorry! If you wanna ride slow and have bikes and cars passing you on the dragon please keep it to yourself or what ever tricks you have. Some of us have been riding over forty years and we are still here to talk and share experiences we've had and have to share. The majority of accidents are sport bikes passing over the mustard as you call it and a lot of innocent passengers on these sport bike double line passers are been badly hurt crippled or killed. After you lose your junior status here some may respect your input in the future. If it wasn't me to correct you it would of been someone else here. The stupid riders who pass over the double lines to pass cars or other bikes are (A holes) their parts are on the tree at the bottom of the dragon. The proof is in the bag. Later on you'll see this forum will become family and we don't miss guide family.....If you need info on how to be better safer or faster there's a ton of books out there for you! Ride safe and ride often, here's a tip (counter steering will make you a far better rider) rubber side down!!

#42 ·
I'm not trying to be snide but have you been there? I'm sixty eight and have been riding since the early 70's, just new to Indian. And I never said anything
about passing on a double yellow, you can't do it there or you or someone else will probably be dead. Why do you think there are so many paved pull off
spots (Tenn. side)?

#43 ·
My bad, I thought you said get over for other bikes to pass you! I've been to many times as I just lived up in Ky. Probably 30 times and there are even better roads near there. The paved areas weren't always there.. The Govenor of that state rides a chopper and is looking at no helmet law!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.