Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone started a list of aftermarket dealers that carry accessories specific for the Scout?

Generic parts that fit any motorcycle would not qualify for Scout specific! :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't think anyone makes accessories specific for the Scout yet. It will take a while for manufacturers to get their hands on the Scout, design the products, get them to manufacturing, and then through distribution. There will be a handful of things in the spring I would guess, but probably a year or so before there is much to choose from other than Indian factory accessories or universal parts.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yup ... I understand that many after market mfr's ordered Scouts. They are waiting just like the rest of us :). It will be a bit with R&D to get the aftermarket stuff out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yup ... I understand that many after market mfr's ordered Scouts. They are waiting just like the rest of us :). It will be a bit with R&D to get the aftermarket stuff out.
Hey Troop since you seem to be in the know - how tall are the short and mid windshields? I am trying to get some answers from my dealer and she won't respond. I keep seeing that the short is 3" shorter than the mid and the tall is 3" taller but nowhere can I find the exact measurements of height for any of them.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Troop since you seem to be in the know - how tall are the short and mid windshields? I am trying to get some answers from my dealer and she won't respond. I keep seeing that the short is 3" shorter than the mid and the tall is 3" taller but nowhere can I find the exact measurements of height for any of them.
I'm waiting on that too as we really don't know. Yes, the short is -3"/tall +3" over the mid, but we have no idea on the actual mid height?? When you build a bike on the Indian website, that tall one looks really tall! Windshields are expected late Dec/early Jan so I will post ASAP...

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I think we should wait until we can sit on the bike with a windshield. Even if the height is given on the shield we won't know which one is right for you. I need one too, maybe a display bike will have one mounted so I can see which one fits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is the response I received from slipstream when I inquired about an after-market windshield for our Scouts. I received this 10 December

Thanks for the inquiry. We have yet to be able to get our hands on one for fitment. That being said, I know any of our 2 place handlebar mounts will work on it. They include the S-06 Spitfire, S-09 Cobra, SS-10 Viper, HD-0 Mini Police and the HD-3 Tombstone. I also believe our newly redesigned S-03 Slipstreamer, S-08 Sport shield and the S-05 Turbo will also fit but I will need to test fit each for sure to be positive.

Sorry I don't have better news unless one of the handlebar mounts were what you were looking for.

Thanks/Safe riding!

Bob Eggerichs

10820 Mankato St. NE
Blaine, MN 55449PH. (763) 780-9757
www.slipstreamer.com

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Will bide my time and wait for some aftermarket .. Especially Storage, Will throw a dufflebag on the back before pay 1,000 for those bags that might be worth 500 tops .. Hoping possibly Memphis Shades might have some Ideas about the Scout for Windshields used them on my FXR4 and Several Sportsters with Great Results .. Hoping to see some good 2:1 Exhaust Options something like Dirtybirds which is already out .. Not too worried about Extra Air Flow and Tuner yet until a way is found to overcome the Governor Speed of 115 which can be reached Bone Stock anyway ..

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Time to add another idea to this thread...we need somebody to make decent suspension items. My front suspension is sagging way too much and really needs better springs. Good shocks on the rear almost go without saying. I contacted Progressive awhile ago and didn't get the idea they had anything in the works.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cindy, I just measured my mid-size windshield. The coverage area (not measuring across the curvature, just straight-line side to side and top to bottom) is approx 18 inches wide by 26 inches tall. From the high point on the handlebars (at factory setting) top of the windshield is about 14.5 inches above that, or 18.5 inches above the gas tank fill cap, to give you a couple of reference points. Dealer told me today that the short shield is about an inch or so wider than the mid size, but I don't have any way to verify the measurement. let me know if you need additional measurements, be happy to take them for you.

FWIW, I am not a huge fan of the mid windshield. It's narrow enough that there is no protection for hands, and the tank is wide enough that the lower part of the windshield does not protect legs either. I have also noticed that there seems to be a lot of turbulence above and behind it, enough so that I find it annoying at highway speed. Have not taken the time to remove it and ride without it to get a comparison, but I intend to, just to find out if the turbulence changes. Could just be my big noggin that's the issue, don't want to blame the windshield without knowing for sure. By comparison, the National Cycle plexifairing on my Honda is dead calm behind it -- but it also is hot to be behind in the summer.

Reactions: keefer and Cindy

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has anyone started a list of aftermarket dealers that carry accessories specific for the Scout?

Generic parts that fit any motorcycle would not qualify for Scout specific! :)

I had started a thread for aftermarket awhile ago - it must be buried under all the posts. This is a very active site.

·
Founding member
439 Posts
FWIW, I am not a huge fan of the mid windshield. It's narrow enough that there is no protection for hands, and the tank is wide enough that the lower part of the windshield does not protect legs either. I have also noticed that there seems to be a lot of turbulence above and behind it, enough so that I find it annoying at highway speed. Have not taken the time to remove it and ride without it to get a comparison, but I intend to, just to find out if the turbulence changes. Could just be my big noggin that's the issue, don't want to blame the windshield without knowing for sure. By comparison, the National Cycle plexifairing on my Honda is dead calm behind it -- but it also is hot to be behind in the summer.
I also have the mid windshield and have the same issues at highway speed. $450 down the drain for me. I'm 5'9" and the top of windshield is about at the bottom of my chin.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Time to add another idea to this thread...we need somebody to make decent suspension items. My front suspension is sagging way too much and really needs better springs. Good shocks on the rear almost go without saying. I contacted Progressive awhile ago and didn't get the idea they had anything in the works.
Front should be pretty easy. 41mm forks are common. Just need one of you test monkeys to pull your front end apart, and measure the uncompressed length. That would be a good place to start. :) NP, I'd pull the top caps, stick in a 1" spacer to start with, that should help with the sag.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also have the mid windshield and have the same issues at highway speed. $450 down the drain for me. I'm 5'9" and the top of windshield is about at the bottom of my chin.

Set your pre-load on the rear shocks according to your weight and it will eliminate about 90% of the instability!
It's called the head wagging the tail! Improper pre-load will wag the tail!
It tells you how in the manual, but if you want there are hundreds of pages and video's about how to set your pre-load!

Worked for me and made a lot of difference!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts