Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a discussion with a buddy (Harley rider) who's wife rides an Indian Scout 60 set up for just the rider. She's a bigger woman and he wants her to upgrade to a bigger bike. He wants her to get a Vintage like mine but she's thinking just a bigger Scout as she thinks the Vintage is too much bike for her. The Indian dealer is offering them a great trade in value plus incentives, but my buddy wants his step-daughter to buy his wifes Scout 60 for her and her girlfriend to ride since she is looking for a bike as well. Both of them together will be slightly more than my buddy's wife weighs.

The dealer told them the Scout 60 is not really designed for passengers but my buddy disagrees with him (very aggressively I should add). My buddy thinks the bike is perfect for riding a passenger even on long rides (the step daughter wants to ride double to Sturgis from west central Iowa) and that the dealer is just trying to sell more bikes and make money.

I kind of see the dealers point as it seems shorter, the shocks don't seem as heavy and it looks lower to the ground than other Indians to include the full size Scout. Plus where would the passenger foot pegs go?

So what do ya'll think? I'd hate to see the step-daughter and her girlfriend purchase their first bike, then be unhappy with it and ruin their riding experience. Currently the step-daughter has been riding a Kawasaki 454LTD I lend out and she loves the riding experience and her girlfriend has been riding double with anyone she can jump on with. They just want to start riding together...

This is how my buddy's wifes bike is set up now. The bags mounts were fabricated by my buddy.

39090130_2275958452421548_4224811431876362240_n.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's do-able but the suspension can bottom out. A rear shock upgrade would probably help a lot.
So the dealer may not be blowing smoke when he says Scout 60's aren't really set up for passengers? I kind of thought the same way as you but my buddy seems to think the entire bike is good just set up as stock.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
It really depends on their size. My scout (not 60) was set up with mustang passenger seat and backrest. My wife and I combined were 440 pounds and not too tall (I'm 5'9 and she is 5'6), pretty much the cargo weight limit. We went on a few short rides, but it wouldn't be very comfortable on longer rides more than 100 miles or so.

If they are a combined lighter weight, I'd say it could be do-able without suspension alteration.

Ironically, the wife and I lost a combined 100 pounds and then switched to a roadmaster.

And tell your wife that if she is comfortable with the 60, the vintage is a good step up. It looks bigger and us a little heavier, but handles like a much lighter bike. Hopefully she gets a chance to test ride one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If she gets the scout and sets it up for two up riding. Make sure you get the touring passenger seat not the regular one. Its wider and has a bit more cushion. makes long rides more comfortable. We had no problem riding two up on my 60 and both of us as a little on the heavy side

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
I ride my wifes Scout 60 from time to time. I am "extra large" 330#

The upgrade on shocks would be a good idea.

Other than a good touring seat there should be no problem with 2 up riding.

The bike has plenty of power and handles well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a scout 60 and my wife rode along with me in town rides a bunch. Nothing long distance and always in town. A few stretches of open highway. The 60 worked fine for us. She is petite and under 130 though. I upgraded to a Vintage so we can long distance better. Picks of both bikes.
CCA63C37-846C-4DD9-B3CA-A14D9804DC99.jpeg
D2EB4475-6C16-43CC-AA47-7807CC153D92.jpeg

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm 5'11"/178lbs
Wife is 5'2"/130lbs
Stock standard seat and passenger pillion.
Viking saddle bags.
Dean speed sissy bar w/luggage rack.

I do notice the suspension does sink with her on it and I have felt it hit against the stop on occasion, but that's hitting bumps that would make you cringe even without a passenger - hitting the stop just makes it even more emotionally painful. Other than that, we've done trips to DC from PA, about 118 miles and went to OC Bike Week last year, about 190 miles. We took breaks about every 80 miles. This is with the stock seats. I'm upgrading to a Corbin to help go longer intervals (actually waiting on the order - all this COVID19 crap has it on hold). Additionally, had just enough room for gear to last us that weekend to OC with the above mentioned mods. Could probably use a little more room to pack for a longer trip.

Bottom line: it'll do it. If she and her partner are bigger than my wife and I, though, the dealer might be right as it does get a little cramped for 2-up riding for anything you might consider distance riding. At our sizes, however, I'm banking on the new seat making it that we'll need to stop for gas around 130-140 miles before I even care that she's back there.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was in a discussion with a buddy (Harley rider) who's wife rides an Indian Scout 60 set up for just the rider. She's a bigger woman and he wants her to upgrade to a bigger bike. He wants her to get a Vintage like mine but she's thinking just a bigger Scout as she thinks the Vintage is too much bike for her. The Indian dealer is offering them a great trade in value plus incentives, but my buddy wants his step-daughter to buy his wifes Scout 60 for her and her girlfriend to ride since she is looking for a bike as well. Both of them together will be slightly more than my buddy's wife weighs.

The dealer told them the Scout 60 is not really designed for passengers but my buddy disagrees with him (very aggressively I should add). My buddy thinks the bike is perfect for riding a passenger even on long rides (the step daughter wants to ride double to Sturgis from west central Iowa) and that the dealer is just trying to sell more bikes and make money.

I kind of see the dealers point as it seems shorter, the shocks don't seem as heavy and it looks lower to the ground than other Indians to include the full size Scout. Plus where would the passenger foot pegs go?

So what do ya'll think? I'd hate to see the step-daughter and her girlfriend purchase their first bike, then be unhappy with it and ruin their riding experience. Currently the step-daughter has been riding a Kawasaki 454LTD I lend out and she loves the riding experience and her girlfriend has been riding double with anyone she can jump on with. They just want to start riding together...

This is how my buddy's wifes bike is set up now. The bags mounts were fabricated by my buddy.

View attachment 580793
The 60 is perfectly fine for passengers, same geometry as the 69.

You might need different pegs for that exhaust, or go back to a more stock shape.

Might need a suspension upgrade, can buy the progressive-wound OEMs cheap on eBay, as a takeoff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts