Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I know we don't see a lot of Brazilians here, and I'm not one. But I do live there!

Looking forward to seeing the Scout 60 in Brazil, hopefully with ABS. Seems like the perfect bike for me. The local Indian dealer in São Paulo didn't have any information on a launch date yet. So I hope it will not be too long, otherwise the cash might burn its way through my pocket.

Cheers,
Marc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you kidding? Do you know of a reason? India and Brazil are the only countries without the sixty. The dealership told me a while back "if it happens, it will be 2016". I assumed that to mean 2016 because the motorcycles are being assembled in Brazil to avoid excessive import taxation and they would need time to set up the assembly line. I never thought that it would be pushed back years. But, knowing Brasil, if they can get away with offering only a higher priced option, they will.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I was a manufacturing engineering manager. Assembly lines with good thinking and plans take months not years. I don't get the excuse for a delay for Brazil. It isn't that hard or at least for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a manufacturing engineering manager. Assembly lines with good thinking and plans take months not years. I don't get the excuse for a delay for Brazil. It isn't that hard or at least for me.
Seems reasonable to think in months, not in years. Add a bit of extreme Brazilian Bureaucracy and you might talk a year, tops. So, I guess it's still within the bandwidth. But there's also a culture down here to squeeze as much out of consumers as you can. You won't believe car prices down here and what you get for it. Also, these kind of products cater to the upper middle class and top class here. So, a lower priced similar version that caters to a relatively select group of people that can probably afford the more expensive one anyways....It doesn't make as much sense here as it does in the US. So, I think they might be ass dragging their heels also.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I wouldn't disagree. I visited the Mercedes Benz Bus plant in Campinas, Brazil for a week to work to send partially assembled buses to the USA for final assembly to insure majority US labor content. The bus assembly line was relatively simple and efficient in the US. However the company I was with mismanaged the sales and support and in turn dropped out of the business after 3 or 4 years. I had long since left the company.

Looking at Indian Motorcycle Assembly, this can be done if and only if the Indian or Polaris team in Brazil is competent. You have a better perspective on this than I about business in Brazil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Things are a bit different here in Brazil than in US. As far as I've been told, launching the 60 here would be "internal competition" with the Scout.
Indian just came to Brazil last october, there are 4 dealerships (Rio, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Florianopolis). It's a new operation, and adjustments will happen down the line...
The Chieftain and Roadmaster will come in April.
Dark Horse will probably come in 2017.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is internal competition with the Scout in the US as well, and I'm sure you're right. Explaining to a Brazilian that a lower price will move more units and result in more profit, is like explaining to a hard core nerd that design matters. They just don't get it. However, Indian is not in a league of its own. I just saw Harley lower the 883 significantly here. It's now WAY cheaper than the Scout. So, I hope Indian wises up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts