Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a salvage yard in USA that specializes in modern Indians? I need parts for my 2015 Chieftain.
I need left saddle bag base, Fairing, left front indicator lens, engine guard, left saddle bag hinges.
There is nothing here in New Zealand.
Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
..or Australia as far as I know...so good question !

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I have watched the insurance and salvage sales for these a bit... the parts priced where they are and the minimal time these models have been in the marketplace keep the values quite inflated and resale of junk (damaged bikes) very high. Indian dealers have been buying the insurance salvage at inflated prices as far as I can tell. It does seem that there will be a gradual easing on the pricing front after the market gets saturated and the demand subsides a bit.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I also looked at a lot of wrecks that do not appear to have suffered much damage... with safety concerns mandating replacement of many critical components once they are even slightly impacted or damaged, and with replacement parts priced into the ozone, even minor accidents can quickly "total" one of these bikes. There are a lot of them being sold for salvage but many of the same components will be damaged and require replacement in almost every wreck... not so easy to find the pieces that will break almost every time. Worth mentioning - I don't think I would ever trust my life to a "reconstruct" unless I personally performed and/or supervised the work done and it was very meticulously and thoroughly done with new components where called for (frame, wheels, suspension etc.). Cosmetic minor damages is another subject... that is where dealers/rebuilders can make bank without much risk on these things. Competition is fierce.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Every so often you can get something at a good price on ebay if you're watchful and quick, but it seems most of the stuff advertised on there is new from various dealers and is sold at Indian list price. I would guess the dealers are required to sell at or near MSRP.

You can get a small discount on new OEM stuff on websites like Part Shark or Bike Bandit, and Bike Bandit has free shipping. I just haven't found any reliable place to get used parts at a reasonable price--even on ebay most people seem to want 80% or more of retail on salvage stuff. I've had an active search on there for an oil cooler for six months, and every one that is at a reasonable price is mangled, but they are readily available at list.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Every so often you can get something at a good price on ebay if you're watchful and quick, but it seems most of the stuff advertised on there is new from various dealers and is sold at Indian list price. I would guess the dealers are required to sell at or near MSRP.

You can get a small discount on new OEM stuff on websites like Part Shark or Bike Bandit, and Bike Bandit has free shipping. I just haven't found any reliable place to get used parts at a reasonable price--even on ebay most people seem to want 80% or more of retail on salvage stuff. I've had an active search on there for an oil cooler for six months, and every one that is at a reasonable price is mangled, but they are readily available at list.
And Amazon

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Just Google "Motorcycle Salvage Yards". There are quite a few in the US. I imagine it would take a lot of legwork, but......

Craigslist also has quite a few parts listed for these bikes. And as above with amazon, bike bandit, ebay.......

Good luck!

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts
I have watched the insurance and salvage sales for these a bit... the parts priced where they are and the minimal time these models have been in the marketplace keep the values quite inflated and resale of junk (damaged bikes) very high. Indian dealers have been buying the insurance salvage at inflated prices as far as I can tell. It does seem that there will be a gradual easing on the pricing front after the market gets saturated and the demand subsides a bit.
yea like harley stuff, its flooded with parts n cheap! on cregslit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts