Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Challenger was only part. Indian heavily discounted and gave big incentives on the 2018-2019 heavyweights which sold in the 4th quarter

·
Registered
863 Posts
Challenger was only part. Indian heavily discounted and gave big incentives on the 2018-2019 heavyweights which sold in the 4th quarter
Not around here they didn’t. They’re still sitting there.

·
Silver member
3,417 Posts
The general buzz of a new bike just brings more attention to the brand.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,413 Posts
Pretty impressive considering it came out in the fall and many can't ride one yet. It will be interesting to see what Harley does now.

That’s showing revenue actual sales were low single digit increase according to Polaris. I wish Polaris would just show units sold to end the confusion. But in a down market any increase is good !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
That’s showing revenue actual sales were low single digit increase according to Polaris. I wish Polaris would just show units sold to end the confusion. But in a down market any increase is good !

it's double tricky... they include the Sling Shot in the motorcycle sales.. and that's dragging Indian down... and actual revenue went down 4th qtr 19 vs 4th qt 18... it's explained in the actual report... they wrote off some reorganization and supply chain changes.. so yes it is a 37% actual sales increase..

·
Registered
401 Posts
The new Chief Vintage I purchased was sold to me well below MSRP. I bought a new 2019 in November. I see some bikes on the showroom floor marked down over $5,000.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,413 Posts
it's double tricky... they include the Sling Shot in the motorcycle sales.. and that's dragging Indian down... and actual revenue went down 4th qtr 19 vs 4th qt 18... it's explained in the actual report... they wrote off some reorganization and supply chain changes.. so yes it is a 37% actual sales increase..
Look at the North American sales were they say the Indian sales are up low single digits and the Slingshot sales drag the motorcycle sales down to a negative when you factor in the Slingshot sales. Another thing Polaris did was including Parts and accessories with the sales. Like I said it would be easier if they just listed units sold because the profit shows a loss for motorcycles in the 4th quarter.
Read the second paragraph under motorcycles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And around my neck of the woods zero challengers sold.
There are lots of places like that.
I doubt Indian is ready to produce mass bikes, if they are slow to catch on in places, it's not a big deal.
Once an Indian rolls thru and tears the place up though things will slowly start changing if there is any money in the woods.
Buying a new Street Glide that is down 30 hp, won't handle and has 2 inches of suspension is going to make HD a hard sell.
It's happening around here, my dealer has low mile 18 and 19 Harley trades parked everywhere.
The week Challenger went on sale my dealer had the big demo truck and about 30 new 2020 models to ride.
I went both Friday and Saturday. The place was packed with Harley's.
I talked with a lot of them, after riding Challenger, they are pretty much done with Harley.
I didn't know what to think but looking at all the Harley trades for sale, they obviously were serious.
I don't blame them, the bike is that good. The bikes have been that good since day one though. I doubt I'll ever part with my 14 Chieftain, it's not giving up much at all to Challenger, it's close to 50,000 and runs better than new.
I can't break it and I try everyday.
Testing these bikes to 250,000 miles is paying off, even this winter the used Indian's don't stay on the floor very long. I think my 14 with 50,000 is just as dependable as a new one.
I looked at one on the bench for an oil seal that had 102,000 miles, I looked at every bearing and race in that engine and there was not a wear mark on anything, it looked like it was brand new inside.
I know John the owner, all his 15 RM has had is 5000 mile oil changes with Indian oil.
I've had mine long enough to get everything dialed in.
I won't get off the bike, it was 30 degrees last night at midnight and I took a 10 mile longer way home just so I could keep riding.
If they aren't selling any Indian's out in the woods, you guys are missing out.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
Look at the North American sales were they say the Indian sales are up low single digits and the Slingshot sales drag the motorcycle sales down to a negative when you factor in the Slingshot sales. Another thing Polaris did was including Parts and accessories with the sales. Like I said it would be easier if they just listed units sold because the profit shows a loss for motorcycles in the 4th quarter.
Read the second paragraph under motorcycles.

What I said was they were up 37% when you compare qtrs. straight off of their report not year over year... just like you posted up from the bottom one under motorcycle.. "segment sales including PG&A up 37% compared to 4th qtr 18 led by strong sales of Indian Motorcyles" they are also giving credit to the Challenger under the comments section in the bottom form you posted... now imagine what the profit would have been for the motorcycle division is the Sling Shot hadn't declined high 20%... this my friend is good news for anyone that wants Polaris to keep Indian.... it's all there in what you posted... and you can go to the main forum then go to the thread about the 4th qtr report, follow the link and read even more...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There are lots of places like that.
I doubt Indian is ready to produce mass bikes, if they are slow to catch on in places, it's not a big deal.
Once an Indian rolls thru and tears the place up though things will slowly start changing if there is any money in the woods.
Buying a new Street Glide that is down 30 hp, won't handle and has 2 inches of suspension is going to make HD a hard sell.
It's happening around here, my dealer has low mile 18 and 19 Harley trades parked everywhere.
The week Challenger went on sale my dealer had the big demo truck and about 30 new 2020 models to ride.
I went both Friday and Saturday. The place was packed with Harley's.
I talked with a lot of them, after riding Challenger, they are pretty much done with Harley.
I didn't know what to think but looking at all the Harley trades for sale, they obviously were serious.
I don't blame them, the bike is that good. The bikes have been that good since day one though. I doubt I'll ever part with my 14 Chieftain, it's not giving up much at all to Challenger, it's close to 50,000 and runs better than new.
I can't break it and I try everyday.
Testing these bikes to 250,000 miles is paying off, even this winter the used Indian's don't stay on the floor very long. I think my 14 with 50,000 is just as dependable as a new one.
I looked at one on the bench for an oil seal that had 102,000 miles, I looked at every bearing and race in that engine and there was not a wear mark on anything, it looked like it was brand new inside.
I know John the owner, all his 15 RM has had is 5000 mile oil changes with Indian oil.
I've had mine long enough to get everything dialed in.
I won't get off the bike, it was 30 degrees last night at midnight and I took a 10 mile longer way home just so I could keep riding.
If they aren't selling any Indian's out in the woods, you guys are missing out.
Great post!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts