Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Waay Koul !
Who makes it ?

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Did not !

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Can you make more ?

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Well, I have two 111's...
You should post pictures of the appearance of the mechanism and its' mountings. The mechanism appearance is the "sticky point" for the tank shift. The mountings, etc, need to be elegant and unobtrusive to the bikes' appearance.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Just curious why the owner did it.

I love it if it was to compensate for an immobile left leg, really.

If it's only to serve nostalgic motives -and I'm aware I won't get the popular vote with my opnion- I think it's right on the edge of cheesy... especially with a worn shifter rubber on the left wich may suggest the rider doesn't really use the hand shifter.

(we don't retrofit drum brakes either, do we?)

Cheers

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Yep, Max Kool, the tank shifter is certainly not for you. But thanks for posting as you DO serve a purpose here. You make it clear that some may think negatively about this add-on..

Since your "drum brake" is an inappropriate analogy, (going from a modern brake/safety system to a less effective brake/safety system) ,let me help you out.
This would be better:
( Certainly no one would want to refit a foot clutch.)

Toodles

Reactions: Hjallis

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I fabbed my own version. It's more integrated than other designs, but does require some machining and drilling. It's great on the downshift, a little clunky on the upshift since you have to take your hand off the throttle. Also, it is safer at stop lights because you can shift from 1st. to Neutral and back to 1st. gear with both feet on the ground.

shifter_linkage_triptich.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fabbed my own version. It's more integrated than other designs, but does require some machining and drilling. It's great on the downshift, a little clunky on the upshift since you have to take your hand off the throttle. Also, it is safer at stop lights because you can shift from 1st. to Neutral and back to 1st. gear with both feet on the ground.

View attachment 575784
Look nice but but what about the warranty when you drill into the steering back?
Brgd
Hjallis

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
I'm thinking:
A "saddle" underneath the tank , over the frame casting, that barely "shows itself" ,and what little does, is "pretty" - to provide support for the linkage shaft.
An attach point onto the heel-toe that allows the link to follow the same angle as the frame downtube and must be "lower fairing accommodating". It must be "pretty" - and offered in chrome, gloss black, and flat black.

Do this, send pics of the elegance.. (And pricing)
I could be a customer for two - in chrome..

P.S. While riding, have yall ever accidentally hand shifted into reverse ?

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
For all you DIY machinists. Here is the way I started. Get the vintage/repro parts and then machine them to fit the modern frame. The hand shift lever has to be cut, lengthened by 4.5", pinned and welded. Next is the bell crank which has to be lengthened as well by 2 to 3" to shortened the throw of the lever. The rest of the parts are hardware store items.

I can offer advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts

View attachment 575784
Awesome.
Beautiful bike you have there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Instead of drilling through the frame, why don’t you fab brackets to attach it to the upper engine guard/highway bar. 2 L brackets should do the job! Then attach the L bracket flat sides to tabs with therads or nuts to the shifter housing.
If my description isn’t clear tell me. I hope this helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts