Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got this baby installed the other day. Who needs a separate gps when you can have your cell phone mounted right in front of you. It has a positive lock feature plus a magnet in the phone case for extra security. Had to go to the Rokform website to order the Samsung S5 case because the Indian site doesn't have that one yet. Took about 15 minutes to install.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
I refused for a long time to spend $600+ bucks on a ZUMO or similar and had my HTC mounted like you. Found that these smartphones are hard to see when the sun shines right at them and more importantly my HTC One fried in the Australian sun. It just couldn't take the heat and the screen just kept flickering. Had to get a new phone and after that I ended up buying one of them bl**dy Zumo's and love it. Still think they are overpriced.
Having said all that maybe yours won't fry and you'll be all good. Good Luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
question: does the USB port provide enough power to charge the phone, or do we need to use the cigarette lighter charger? I know that using my phone for GPS purposes sucks power and gets hot. Also interested in the glare factor mentioned above. Let us know how it works. I'd be interested in getting that case for my Note 4.

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
question: does the USB port provide enough power to charge the phone, or do we need to use the cigarette lighter charger? I know that using my phone for GPS purposes sucks power and gets hot. Also interested in the glare factor mentioned above. Let us know how it works. I'd be interested in getting that case for my Note 4.
I've only used my iPhone to listen to music through the USB port, but it kept the phone charged up...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. The USB outlet is enough to power the phone during GPS use. I don't use the GPS for long distances. Just when I need precise directions to a place in a town I'm not familiar with. Any phone will get hot during use cuz that's how they work. As far as the glare factor, you can tilt the phone lower so the glare isn't too bad. I get glare from the instrument panel but that's the way it is when you have lots of glass in front of you. The burning sun factor... this is Arizona and we haven't heated up to 110* yet so I will probably be keeping it in my jacket when summer comes around. But until then it's nice to have it in front of me. I just posted it to show what it looks like. Plus, Indian brothers up north will have better weather to keep it mounted year round. To each his own. Peace.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It mounts underneath the instrument cluster. It's real easy to remove it. There are 4 little tabs around the chrome bezel, use a screwdriver. The instrument cluster has a rubber seal around it. Use the screwdriver to pry out the cluster and use your hand from the back, to push out the gauges. There's one big wire harness attached to it to undo and you're done. Install the mount and replace. Took about 25 minutes.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I don't think they have cases to fit HTC M8's though as far as I can see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The descriptions are great, well sort of. Did anyone take pics of the process to include with the install process? Yeah I'm reading and looking and not seeing these tabs on the chrome bezel or any of the other tabs you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Look up Ram Mounts.There is a handle bar mount with a 6" extension and bracket that holds cell phone.It does not bounce off.You can reach easily and work phone while your driving.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
it charges my iPhone just fine while mounted with this system

·
3,516 Posts
Look up Ram Mounts.There is a handle bar mount with a 6" extension and bracket that holds cell phone.It does not bounce off.You can reach easily and work phone while your driving.
ram mounts serve a purpose, but they are bulky, awkward, and often look cheesy - this mounting system that the OP TucsonRdmstr installed is a clean and integrated look, very solid, and worth every penny. Also it is very reachable.

·
Registered
150 Posts

I have the RAM mounts on my bike and love them since I have the cell phone holder, drink holder and I mount my GoPro also on the bars

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use the bluetooth and get turn by turn from google maps. Comes over the speakers, samsung stays in the trunk charging, or in the front fairing storage. Works great. I don't need another distraction when dealing with cars.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What's the install like? I just ordered one... :)

·
3,516 Posts
What's the install like? I just ordered one... :)
the install is rather simple, the hardest part is the removal of the instrument panel for access to the underneath are of the fairing - I was able to install mine without removing the instrument panel

pay CLOSE attention to the orientation of the hardware - loosely dry fit the hardware together first - this will save you time from second guessing what your seeing in the illustrations (which could be better).

Reactions: joescian

·
Registered
809 Posts
the install is rather simple, the hardest part is the removal of the instrument panel for access to the underneath are of the fairing - I was able to install mine without removing the instrument panel

pay CLOSE attention to the orientation of the hardware - loosely dry fit the hardware together first - this will save you time from second guessing what your seeing in the illustrations (which could be better).
How do you remove the instrument panel? Some are saying it just snaps out, kind of like the side covers?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts