Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 2017 Indian Roadmaster and I have extreme upper back pain from leaning too far forward. I have installed the drivers back rest and had the dealership install the 2"inch pull back handlebars and still have back pain. I have also tried the Helibars on my 2016 Roadmaster (traded in for 2017 RM) and returned them because there was no additional pullback from their bars compared to Indians pull back bars, although you could adjust the angle of your hand/wrist with the Helibars. Other things I have tried is putting a longer bolt in the drivers seat rest that pushes you more forward. I can get a little closer to the handlebars, but then I have a sore back and sore butt, because you are almost sitting on the horn of the saddle. I am 5'6" and from my armpit to my longest finger I measure only 23". I had the back problem in 2015 when I bought my first motorcycle which was a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800. After riding for a long distance I discovered my back would hurt. I researched my back problem and came to the conclusion I needed risers for my handlebars. I purchased 7 inch riser with 2" pullback and after the installation the pain went completely away. Well, with the Roadmaster I cannot put risers on because of the batwing fairing. The 2 inch pullback handlebars do not put the handlebars close enough to me and they need to a be a little higher also. I wanted to see if the mini-apes would help with the back pain, so I test drove one at Indian Motorcycle of PCB. Although the mini-apes put the handlebars higher up, they widened the grip which forced me to lean forward once again. Didn't like the fact that the mini-apes put my hands in the air stream and not behind the batwing fairing, but if it relieved the back pain it would not have been an issue, but it didn't. I would like to know if anyone had figured out a way to alleviate upper back pain for someone of short stature.

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
several people have put a 2" Rox riser on their Chieftain/Roadmaster. there is a good thread somewhere on these Rox risers for our bikes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
several people have put a 2" Rox riser on their Chieftain/Roadmaster. there is a good thread somewhere on these Rox risers for our bikes.
Thank you for your information regarding the Rox Risers. I went to the website you posted below and have ordered the 2" Rox Risers (1 1/4 diameter) for $70. Normally I order from Revzilla, but $70 for blemished Rox Riser vs $121 for new is a no brainer for me. Also, the blemished had free shipping which is great...although it they charged $10 for shipping I would have paid it.

Update...After ordering, I did some more reading and found out I can get the Rox Risers for $65 vs $70. As I do not need the extra caps. I called Rox Speed FX, Inc. (1-218-326-1794)
ten minutes after I ordered and explained my situation. The customer service representative said they would refund me $5 and that he was just printing out the shipping label for my order and would be shipped today. That is FAST....

Once installed I will have to do an update on the functionality and comfort of the Rox Risers. Todays Date 8/29/2017

Final Update: 9/2/2017. Installed Rox Risers (ROX) !!!! It is not a hard task, but it is one of finesse. For those that say they did it in 2 or 2.5 hours. You my friends are borderline geniuses and have great time management skills. My hat is off to you gentlemen.

It is a must that you invite a good friend over to assist you. Let him know it will take you half a day to install. That way you both are not rushed and IF things go wrong, you won't be time pressed. If you two do it in 2.5 hours or less... you two fall into the genius category. It took my friend and myself 5 hours (3 drink breaks) to remove and install. In 2 hours we removed the hard saddle bags, trunk, chrome tank console and the stock riser. The handlebars were laying on the blanketed tank. Also removed the brake and clutch clamp per WhiteSmokes instructions. The next 3 hours were devoted to installation and drink breaks. (FYI: We did NOT remove headlamp and bezel) For both of us being mechanics I guess I will have to say I am average (I cannot speak for my friend as that would be rude) because I ran into problems and could not see resolution as quick as some of the others that installed the ROX. I will let you know, if you run into problems and you invite more friends over....offer a case of beer to the first person that can get it installed correctly without damaging your motorcycle...people love to show how smart and mechanically inclined they are... :)

I printed out the instructions from Post #42 dated Aug 12, 2017 by WhiteSmoke. See below http address.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/th...-risers-definitely-work-pictures.96513/page-3

Installation problems I ran into....
1.) Tightened "stock riser" (forward top bolts) as tight as possible in step 10...Before installing on motorcycle. I did a trial run to make sure that ROX fit "stock riser", which it did...but, I had to hit firmly with small wood stake and rubber mallet. Once "stock riser" was installed I could not tap ROX into "stock riser" as the angle for ROX to fit in "stock riser" had to be PERFECT. Removed "stock riser" and lightly snugged both forward top bolts AND then loosened both bolts a 1/2 turn to full turn. Made sure ROX fit EASILY into stock riser before reinstalling.

2. Understanding instructions (steps 11 and 12) ...Install left ROX on handebar. Leave 1/4 of knurls showing on inside of right handlebar. Tap right ROX into "stock riser". Then install left ROX. Tap it into "stock riser"

3. You will need to make SEVERAL adjustments to lower bolt on "stock riser" and lower bolts on ROX to get adjustments to where you think it is good.

4. Install Chrome tank console...took 10 minutes to get it on for us. Lots of finesse. Took it off from the left side, but installed it from the right...couldn't get it installed from left even with the handlebars turned to the right for easy access.

5. Once Chrome tank console installed and tightened down; we turned handle bars hard left and right. ROX hit Chrome tank console. Had to loosen and adjust lower ROX bolts and rear "stock riser" bolts to get it right.... 15 minutes roughly...bad when you can only tighten a little at a time.....Seen in another post...really is a time saver....find someone that has 6 mm T-handle Allen (Hex) Key that has a ball on the end......this is a time saver.......this allows for you to insert key at an angle and rotate while the bolt is still loose.

Once handlebars were back on; I pulled up on them as hard as I could and pushed down to make sure bars were not loose. Everything was tight. Some people were worried that the handlebars were knurled, while the ROX were smooth. No problem. They were TIGHT!

If you print out WhiteSmokes instructions I recommend crossing out the word riser on "Rox Riser". Sometime I had confusion and had to read the sentence twice when seeing "riser", "Rox Riser", and "stock riser" in the same paragraph.

After installation went on test ride...went 50 miles and it was awesome...IF I ever buy another Indian Roadmaster; I will NOT hesitate to by ROX again. These are worth every penny and are not hard to put on as long as you are patient and are with a buddy who shoots the Sh*t with you.

THANK YOU WHITESMOKE!!!!! Great Instructions! Great pictures that help.....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thank you for your information regarding the Rox Risers. I went to the website you posted below and have ordered the 2" Rox Risers (1 1/4 diameter) for $70. Normally I order from Revzilla, but $70 for blemished Rox Riser vs $121 for new is a no brainer for me. Also, the blemished had free shipping which is great...although it they charged $10 for shipping I would have paid it.

Update...After ordering, I did some more reading and found out I can get the Rox Risers for $65 vs $70. Reason being is we do not need end caps on the Roadmaster as they are for aesthetics only. I called Rox Speed FX, Inc. (1-218-326-1794 ) tens minutes after I ordered and explained my situation. The customer service representative said they would refund me $5 and that he was just printing out the shipping label for my order and would be shipped today. That is FAST....

Once installed I will have to do an update on the functionality and comfort of the Rox Risers. Todays Date 8/29/2017
No need, had the same back issues as you, with a fused neck and fused lower back. I installed the rox risers after installing the two inch pull back bars,about 4 thousand miles ago, yes both will fit with stock cables and wires, you just need to take your time as it will be a pain in the but to get em under the fairing, but I did it without fairing removal in about 2 hours. Now I can ride the bike in a more upright position,or even leaned back a bit, instead of that partial forward position that was killing my back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need, had the same back issues as you, with a fused neck and fused lower back. I installed the rox risers after installing the two inch pull back bars,about 4 thousand miles ago, yes both will fit with stock cables and wires, you just need to take your time as it will be a pain in the but to get em under the fairing, but I did it without fairing removal in about 2 hours. Now I can ride the bike in a more upright position,or even leaned back a bit, instead of that partial forward position that was killing my back.
How did you do it without fairing removal? How did you get any leverage to remove the Allen key (hex head) bolts. Can you describe your procedure..ie putting blanket over tank; removing bolts using "X" size Allen key and any problems that you had to over come... Also, what year Roadmaster do you have?

Thank you for your time....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How did you do it without fairing removal? How did you get any leverage to remove the Allen key (hex head) bolts. Can you describe your procedure..ie putting blanket over tank; removing bolts using "X" size Allen key and any problems that you had to over come... Also, what year Roadmaster do you have?

2015 RM, just removed headlight, and center tank console ( label the connectors for the console you can reverse em by accident) , then put blanket over tank and taped it in place so it would stop sliding around, also did that to the front fender. You will easily be able to see the Allen bolts and everything once head light is removed. I had to release my front brake line from its mount on the triple tree to get enough slack for the bars to turn all the way to the left, I just used a zip tie to hold it, no issues, other than it's a bit tight reaching the key in there now to lock the stem . Not sure what size wrenches they were, since I just tried a couple till one fit.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

Read the threads that were linked above, they give pretty good step-by-step instructions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts

There's been several different ways guys have done this and maybe each bike has a little more or less play?

I ended up with a good 1/2" or more of clearance from the tank console. Others I've seen are closer and not sure why?
Also. You will add a 2nd adjustment with these 1 at the original mount and 1 where the bars will now mount so you can get them back and up if needed

I pushed mine pretty hard upwards toward my fairing before tightening and maybe that's why I have a little more clearance??

Either way. You will like them and I hope they cure the issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts