Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from anyone who has an Indian motorcycle jacket. I like the looks on a few, but wonder how quality compares to Vanson or Fox Creek.

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have a Fox Creek vest that is second to none. Super quality and good price. Good customer service.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
I just bought the Indian Riding Jacket yesterday (http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/riding-jacket/pid-2863304). I rode it during the demo rides I went on and for a three hour ride today. I think that it has excellent quality. It looks and feels like it will last for several years to come. I also checked out the Men's Legends Jacket (http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/mens-legend-jacket/pid-2863706). It also seemed to be of high quality as well and should be very warm. I just liked the look of the riding jacket better and the CE armor is a plus as well. The only problem I have is the cuff. It has a velcro strap to secure it but it kind of a tight fit to get your hand through. Also I typically wear an XL jacket so that is what I tried on first. It felt too snug so I tried to take it off to put on a XXL and had quite a struggle getting my hand free. I even had to have my wife help me take it off. My wife and I both have the IMC zip up jackets. The XL fit me fine but my wife had to get a size higher than she typically does.

Personally I haven't look too close at the leather jackets. I bought a Victory leather jacket which was well made however, it cost $350, not $500. Also it didn't keep me warm at all. It blocked the wind but the cold soaked through quickly. I don't know if the Indian leather jacket insulation is any better but I'm not about to pay $500 to find out :p

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the mesh jacket and it works very well for warm days. I see some of the people in riding group are wearing theirs even on colder days with layers underneath and they seem to be fine. One has an electric vest though. I took the liner out right away and have never put it back in. I have a black leather first gear jacket I wear for colder rides. The girlfriend has Indian leather jacket she has no complaints and it looks very well made. It's vented in sleeves and back. I don't think it's a real good under 50 degree jacket alone. Has nice protection and looks good though. Maybe same manufacturer as Victory jackets ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard a lot of good things about Fox Creek and their jackets are super thick (1.2-1.6 mm). My concern with the Indian jackets is that the leather isn't as good a quality. I like Indian, but don't want to pay premium price just for name and poor leather. I can sew on patches to the other jackets for much less.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you have a Wilson's Leather near you, they have picked up on the Indian And Harley colors and have a couple of nice jackets. I plan to get one this week. I know it isn't Indian, but I can get a leather jacket for about $100 and put some patches and make it my own. I can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought the Indian Riding Jacket yesterday (RIDING JACKET | Indian Motorcycle Store). I rode it during the demo rides I went on and for a three hour ride today. I think that it has excellent quality. It looks and feels like it will last for several years to come. I also checked out the Men's Legends Jacket (Men's Legend Jacket | Indian Motorcycle Store). It also seemed to be of high quality as well and should be very warm. I just liked the look of the riding jacket better and the CE armor is a plus as well. The only problem I have is the cuff. It has a velcro strap to secure it but it kind of a tight fit to get your hand through. Also I typically wear an XL jacket so that is what I tried on first. It felt too snug so I tried to take it off to put on a XXL and had quite a struggle getting my hand free. I even had to have my wife help me take it off. My wife and I both have the IMC zip up jackets. The XL fit me fine but my wife had to get a size higher than she typically does.

Personally I haven't look too close at the leather jackets. I bought a Victory leather jacket which was well made however, it cost $350, not $500. Also it didn't keep me warm at all. It blocked the wind but the cold soaked through quickly. I don't know if the Indian leather jacket insulation is any better but I'm not about to pay $500 to find out :p
The difference is the $500.00 one won't let the cold sneak through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[/QUOTE]Personally I haven't look too close at the leather jackets. I bought a Victory leather jacket which was well made however, it cost $350, not $500. Also it didn't keep me warm at all. It blocked the wind but the cold soaked through quickly. I don't know if the Indian leather jacket insulation is any better but I'm not about to pay $500 to find out :p[/QUOTE]

I have the 500 dollar Indian brown distressed leather coat with collar. I love this coat and wear it even when I'm not riding. Inside liner that zips out...keeps the cold out, looks like it's from 1942.. Feels great with armor in it too! Very warm. Extremely well made, Dealer threw in $1000 apparel allowance so that is what paid for it.

Note: just any leather coat does not give you the protection you need. A leather coat from Wilsons won't protect you much if it's not made for motorcycle riding and has no CE protection built in.

·
Founding member
507 Posts
Fox Creek makes the best jackets and vests IMO. I bought an Indian patch on Ebay and made my own Indian vest out of one I already had. Turned out really good to.

·
5,103 Posts
The difference is the $500.00 one won't let the cold sneak through.
You could be right, however the risk is hardly worth the cost IMO :)

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, a $350 jacket should've kept the cold out... but didn't

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Looking for feedback from anyone who has an Indian motorcycle jacket. I like the looks on a few, but wonder how quality compares to Vanson or Fox Creek.

If it is important to you to have Indian branded leather then the dealership stuff will be what you are looking for.
I think a lot of this dealership leather is sold at the time of initial purchase and is rolled in with the finance price of the total deal.

I've looked at some of the dealership leather and in my opinion they are a really nice motorcycle jacket that would fall in the mid range of quality.
Only the price would come close to a top end leather purchase.

Fine, collectors quality stuff from the old line makers. Like heirloom purchases almost. Stuff that lasts a lifetime. In this category you find stuff like Bates, Buco, Shotz Bros.,Fox Creek, Vanson, Glitz.

On the low end you have lots of imported stuff and light weight leather like lambs skin. Some of this leather is not motorcycle specific, like bomber jackets. This stuff will catch air and billow up making for an uncomfortable ride.

Awe-ight then, I been a leather guy for a lot of years. But ya know, to be honest, even the best leather needs good layering under it. Leather transmits cold like crazy.
So at this point of my riding development? I'm looking at textile shells with good insulation and maybe even getting wired....ya know, an electric vest or jacket liner.

My first rattle out is an Indian branded textile jacket....Legend Jacket. I'll let ya know how it works for me.
It's canvas.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Agreed in warm weather I layer my tattoos with my favorite Social Distortion T-shirt. I love wind and sun in North Carolina. If I were better endowed I'd ride the outer banks naked. However come winter I have layered like I did as a kid playing in the snow in Michigan. These days I swap a skull cap for a full face throw on a poly p farmer john and my trimmed down first gear heated suit. My outer layer is my oversizedblack leather pants and black leather coat. Year round riders (w/o a fairing) adjust all year long to stay out of a fourwheeled coffin. The rest of my fair weather friends wave as I blow by....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the mesh jacket with liner. Pretty good for days below 90 deg. down to the 50's. A little too hot for our South MS summers. I ride with a BMW Air Shell jacket in the hottest part of the summer and have been doing so for years. As for heated liners, I started using a Gerbins a couple of years ago and it is great for those really cold days. Now all I have to do is hook it up for the oncoming winter. Ah, "hook to up", therein lies the rub...:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up getting a really good deal on a Dainese Avro jacket for 1/2 off ($350). While not typical cruiser wear, I like the built in armor included in the jacket and the Dainese quality. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

I have the Indian riding jacket, removable vest with embroidery that you can wear on it's own. I have been through two downpours in it and the first one took three days for it to dry out.. It has held up all year. I do not like to ride without either leather or body armor. This one works great. You can even remove some of the armor for casual wear.
Worth it to me.

·
2,039 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I have a Fox Creek Commander jacket that I've been wearing for seven years. It is serious, thick, heavy, rugged, motorcycle leather, especially with foam armor inserted into the lining's pockets. Did I mention it is heavy? It is cool enough to be tolerable even in the desert Southwest thanks to intelligent zippered vents, but too bulky when armored-up to fit in a Chieftain saddlebag. I either have to wear it or use a bicycle cable lock through the sleeves to secure it to the bike. It gets my vote for jacket I'd want to be wearing if spit off the bike.
I also have a zippered, fringed, light-weight pigskin number from Scully; realistically, not much protection, but it cuts the wind, keeps off the sun, fits in the saddlebag, and is so much cooler and lighter... and come on, man, its an Indian!
Its nice to have choice --- Randall

·
Registered
610 Posts
Fox Creek leather jackets are made in USA. Indian's leather jackets are made in Vietnam. The Fox Creek you can wear proudly and you won't be looking for another leather jacket when you change motorcycles. (-:

·
Registered
107 Posts
The wife bought me the Indian classic jacket, quality construction, very comfortable and looks great. Once the temperature drops here in Texas, I will find out how warm it is. I felt $500.00 was a fair price for a branded leather jacket of this quality, but in the end it is all up to what you like and can afford. I still have my Hot Leathers jacket from 10 years ago and still use it from time to time, hopefully one day it will break in. I think I paid around $80.00 for it way back when, it's not the most comfortable, warmest or best looking jacket but it served it's purpose and still does to this day. Buy what feels good to you, chances are no matter what jacket you buy you will have to layer up regardless. That is unless you buy one of these.
upload_2014-11-2_19-30-18.png

·
Registered
354 Posts
I own a few pieces of Indian clothing, and I have been happy with the quality, but certainly not cheap. I'm guessing the pricing and quality are in line with Harley. I personally like the looks of Indian clothing over HD.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts