Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I do like the spoked wheels, however. I'm going to mock up a version with fat spokes next...
As you know, spoke wheels need to be trued every so often, hence my reason liking the mags on larger bikes like my RM and my FLHTCUI. As to white walls, had them on my FLSTN, would need to use comet/bleach/ etc. to keep them clean since the oils/ brake fluids etc. that came out of calipers/ lines would every so often slap up against the tires. Also cleaning spokes to make chrome look good was a choir, and with the big skirts on the RM, for me to much hassle to even think about. Feel one would be spending more time cleaning then riding, but if Chrome gets you home go for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This looks to much for you
I love mine
I like it on yours, because you have white paint that seems to tie it all together. I may change my mind, however - it may be that I am just used to the mags. My friends are telling me to go with the spokes and white walls, which is what I wanted to do originally...

·
Registered
26 Posts
As you know, spoke wheels need to be trued every so often, hence my reason liking the mags on larger bikes like my RM and my FLHTCUI. As to white walls, had them on my FLSTN, would need to use comet/bleach/ etc. to keep them clean since the oils/ brake fluids etc. that came out of calipers/ lines would every so often slap up against the tires. Also cleaning spokes to make chrome look good was a choir, and with the big skirts on the RM, for me to much hassle to even think about. Feel one would be spending more time cleaning then riding, but if Chrome gets you home go for it.
I also have a Road King Classic that I bought new in 2003 that has the white walls and spokes. Wesleys Bleach White and a bike jack to allow spinning the wheels cleans them up pretty easily, but you are right - they are more work than mags with black walls. Sure look nice when clean, though!

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
I also have a Road King Classic that I bought new in 2003
So how do you like the Indian to the Harley? Found with the quick release trunk my RM becomes like the RK HD, so feel the RM is two bikes in one although with Trunk it is top heavy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So how do you like the Indian to the Harley? Found with the quick release trunk my RM becomes like the RK HD, so feel the RM is two bikes in one although with Trunk it is top heavy.
I love both bikes. I used to say that they would bury me with my Road King Classic, but then indian came out with these beautiful bikes, and I had to have one.

I really am enjoying the Roadmaster. I agree it's like having two bikes, when it can be transformed from a RM to a Chieftain in a few minutes. The one difference, of course, is the lack of fairing and lowers on the Road King, and the ability to remove the windshield. I am spoiled and no longer with to ride without the windshield anyway.

I rode the Road King all the way to Sturgis and back from Wisconsin (3,000 mile round trip), but the Roadmaster is an even nicer ride.

I would compare the RM to all of my friends' CVO Road Glides, although I like the looks of the Roadmaster much better. When we make stops, my bike gets all of the complements and looks, even though some of my friends CVO bikes cost ten grand more.

·
Registered
934 Posts
one difference, of course, is the lack of fairing and lowers on the Road King, and the ability to remove the windshield. I am spoiled and no longer with to ride without the windshield anyway.
With the RM we can lower the shield and we have lower fairings. As to price, when looking over the Chieftains for 23K and the RM was 28k and they gave us $1500 incentive then those who are cops/ veterans/ firemen/ got another 1k off. I received my best deal after buying bike and getting connected with someone in Polaris that made my deal excellent and fulfilling. Keep the rubber down!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's mine with Metzeler 888 I just had put on. The dealer put the front one on backwards and forgot a fender bolt put that's a whole different story.
View attachment 125825
View attachment 125833
I like the look. Also, I see you have the true duals. How do you like them? Do you have an infra red temp gun. Id like to find out what the temp is beside the front drive cover after a long ride? As opposed to mine with stock pipe but stage one mufflers? curious. P.S. great looking barn / garage in the back ground. Bobby B. Calgary
Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my pursuit of whitewalls with spokes on my Roadmaster, I have found some reasons why no one has them:
1. The spoked wheels do not have enough weight rating for the increased heft of the Roadmaster - putting them on would most likely void any wheel-related warranty.
2. The Roadmaster has tire pressure sensors that will not work with tubed wheels. To make it work, you could remove them and lose the pressure readout feature on your digital dash (but it may set off the low pressure alarm - I don't know), or you would have to send out the wheels to get them sealed.

I am choosing option 3, and going with aftermarket sealed Fat 50-spoke wheels.

·
Registered
600 Posts
In my pursuit of whitewalls with spokes on my Roadmaster, I have found some reasons why no one has them:
1. The spoked wheels do not have enough weight rating for the increased heft of the Roadmaster - putting them on would most likely void any wheel-related warranty.
2. The Roadmaster has tire pressure sensors that will not work with tubed wheels. To make it work, you could remove them and lose the pressure readout feature on your digital dash (but it may set off the low pressure alarm - I don't know), or you would have to send out the wheels to get them sealed.

I am choosing option 3, and going with aftermarket sealed Fat 50-spoke wheels.
wow that will look beautiful my friend ,I'm getting a custom chieftain made at hollester Indian and it will have fat white walls and wire spoke 60s that will work with the TPMS !!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts